best pump

fnkyhd

i just had a flat otw to work. i had a tube but the compressed-air thingy just shot all the air out into space instead of into the tube! this resulted in my new tube getting ruined cos i had to push the bike for miles! anyway any thoughts on the best manual pump i could strap to the top tube?

I use a Lezyne Micro Floor HV Pump. Works pretty well with the caveats that it is big and heavy (comes with a mounting kit or you can carry it in a bike bag). One other caveat is that if you use Presta valves with any Lezyne pump you need to be a bit careful, as the pump head has a tendency to unscrew the valve core when the tube is fully inflated. There is an air bleed system on newer Lezyne pumps which partially mitigates this problem. My bike shop recommends applying loctite threadlocker to the valve cores.

They also sell a high pressure and an extra large high-volume version for fat tire bikes.

Topeak Race Rocket MT. I have two of them. They work very well and are compact enough to mount or slip into a pannier.

hmm both look nice. the topeak looks handy but the Lezyne looks like it acts like a floor pump using your foot on the ground to steady it. thanks! now i just have to decide between the one with the guage or the one without :)

hmm both look nice. the topeak looks handy but the Lezyne looks like it acts like a floor pump using your foot on the ground to steady it. thanks! now i just have to decide between the one with the guage or the one without :)

I have Lezyne with the gauge and it is hard to read. I used a Sharpie to mark it right where I want the pressure. The pump is outstanding and IMHO is worth the extra weight.

Just my opinion but I've yet to find a pressure gauge on a pump that worked half as well as a cheap Topeak digital pressure gauge.

48V electric. I have the black version.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 5.17.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 5.17.11 PM.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 285
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 5.16.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 5.16.42 PM.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 263
  • 14D65FF7-3EEB-4941-95C3-D92AC3D7B677.jpeg
    14D65FF7-3EEB-4941-95C3-D92AC3D7B677.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 247
i went with the Lezyne without the gauge. $50. i have a gauge so i didnt want something with more parts that could break. i saw some other pumps that have rechargeable battery but they seem less reliable than an analog one

I'm too lazy to look it up but it might have a battery. I had one for my cars from Costco and it had a battery but you'd have to make certain it was charged!
Nothing to look up post required a clicking the pictures. They run off you bikes battery, the reason for a 48 and 48-60v power source. Stripping down the case on the black version makes for a tidy little unit.

Attachments

• FBCD21AB-8D0D-4922-BE9C-CC7E1217B746.jpeg
    FBCD21AB-8D0D-4922-BE9C-CC7E1217B746.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 241
Might consider Probike Tool as well, half the price of Topeak Rocket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019V1PW5G/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=AL3PM2CMR6UEA&psc=1

48V pump is a good idea - you have a battery, why not using it.

And, there are dozens of knock-off if you're really in mood for saving money. I have a knock-off resembling Topeak Road Morph, for when CO2 cartridge will let me down and there will be no 12V pump around. Hope not to use it, but it works. Cost me $10 or so, don't remember.

Might consider Probike Tool as well, half the price of Topeak Rocket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019V1PW5G/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=AL3PM2CMR6UEA&psc=1

48V pump is a good idea - you have a battery, why not using it.

And, there are dozens of knock-off if you're really in mood for saving money. I have a knock-off resembling Topeak Road Morph, for when CO2 cartridge will let me down and there will be no 12V pump around. Hope not to use it, but it works. Cost me $10 or so, don't remember.

That's the pump I use as well but the version with the gauge. I liked it so much, I have it on all bikes.

Back