Best prostate-protective saddle

RMSDivine

Hello there, what saddle are you using for your bike to protect your prostate?

Curios about saddles as these:
pagina-2-1280x720.jpg

Spiderflex:

download.jpg

I've tried a dozen or more split and noseless seats, including a couple shown above, and found the Spiderflex to work best for me.

The Hobson Pro Hub X2 is a close second though and a bit cheaper:

81AnT1TP71L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Everyone's butt is different however and what works for some, may not for all. For this reason, I really hate to recommend a saddle. All I can do is point out what works for me.

How does it work on long rides?

In my experience, no saddle is perfectly comfortable on long rides. The longest I've ridden with the Spiderflex so far is 58 miles over a period of 5.5 hours with an occasional rest stop. There is the usual butt numbness but it isn't severe and certainly isn't the limiting factor on how far I can ride.

There is a period of adjustment to using any noseless saddle. You lose the thigh control you have with regular saddles. It is most noticeable when riding no hands. The feeling is like sitting on a bar stool rather than straddling a split rail fence.

Based on where my urologist reaches to check my prostate, I'm kinda suspicious about those saddle claims. LOL

at least the perineum is not being compressed, isn't it?
I don't recommend saddles either. Try to find a bike shop with a big selection and will let you test them. Many will offer a fitting service, where they'll measure you and your sit bones. I'm not a little guy, but I have narrow hips and that usually indicates more narrow sit bones, but wasn't the case for me. You can waste a lot of money buying saddles. I have wasted money testing saddles I didn't like.

I don't have prostate issues but I suffer nerve compression at the perineum. Many years ago I tried a wonder foam comfort saddle. It caused numbness where you never want it. You could've cut it off with a hatchet and I wouldn't have known. I'm not eggagerating even a little bit. Happened several times, I thought I had a health issue. To make a long story short, two saddles later i settled on a Brooks B17 Imperial. The imperial has the cutout for a man's perineum. A lot of people think it looks uncomfortable, after a break in period it is the best saddle I've ever ridden. 5+ years and counting.

You never know. I'm not recommending a Brooks, just sharing my experience. Whatever your body touches, pedals, grips and saddle will be personal to you. You can't really judge from others experiences.

My urologist said riding a bike has no effect on the prostate.

That's interesting. After ruling out possible medical issues, both my doctor and my brothers doctor recommended we stop biking due to our high PSA numbers. After we switched to noseless saddles, our PSA numbers dropped into the normal range and the numbness we both experienced disappeared.

As has been pointed out many times here, everyone is different. You have to find out for yourself what works best.

For those with BPH, it’s the horn of the seat that causes discomfort by putting pressure on the taint, though not necessarily harmful to the prostate. My experience, anyway. My wife would not sit on anything but the Schwinn seat pictured. But then she’ll never have to deal with prostate issues.

Brooks Imperial with cut-out. After trying and owning probably 30+ saddles in my lifetime, I won't ride anything else.

My urologist said riding a bike has no effect on the prostate.

That's interesting.
Cyclists are some of the most active people and if biking had adverse effect of prostrate health, it would have negatively impacted biking and E-bikes in general.
I believe a lot has to do with incorrect riding posture, wrong geometry, sub-optimal health of the rider.

I have seen doctors prescribe cycling as mild exercise for recovering stroke and bypass surgery patients.

Anyone tried the new split saddle from Aeroelastic?

51w1j+khGcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

To avoid numbness, I've been forced to use split or hornless seats for many years. I miss having a horn to use as a handle when lifting the bike. This one looks like it could be adjusted so it won't contact the perineum. Not sure it's worth $148 though.

Anyone tried the new split saddle from Aeroelastic?

View attachment 78106

To avoid numbness, I've been forced to use split or hornless seats for many years. I miss having a horn to use as a handle when lifting the bike. This one looks like it could be adjusted so it won't contact the perineum. Not sure it's worth $148 though.
At first blush it looks like a hideous torture device. After pondering for a moment it makes a lot of sense. It's all about the sit bones, that's what people should be riding on and not the soft tissue and nerve endings of the perineum. Then I thought what would happen with inadvertent contact, but then again I think it unlikely. As I'm sure you know I'm a big believer in the B17 Imperial with the cutout. No one would suggest it is soft and the horn could hurt with inadvertent contact (the horn is hard), but in 20,000+ miles it hasn't happened.

A firm saddle, allowing my sit bones to hold my body and the soft tissues and nerve endings off the saddle has worked and worked comfortably. I think that saddle could work. It makes sense.

Check out SQLabs. They make a variety of saddles for different kinds of riding and with different amounts of relief. Here are their 3 saddles with the most relief. My wife uses the 602 M-D Active and really likes it. I've got a saddle with slightly less relief, which is way better than anything I had before, but I might switch to hers.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.00.27 AM.png

Spiderflex:

View attachment 62445

I've tried a dozen or more split and noseless seats, including a couple shown above, and found the Spiderflex to work best for me.

The Hobson Pro Hub X2 is a close second though and a bit cheaper:

View attachment 62447

Everyone's butt is different however and what works for some, may not for all. For this reason, I really hate to recommend a saddle. All I can do is point out what works for me.
The Spiderflex looks interesting. It seems that the sit bones sit in the cutouts. But everyone's sit bones are different distances apart. I don't see an adjustment for this?

Back