Best Hydraulic brake system?

Tektro, is basic OEM products, ok if you're on a budget, but won't give the same performance as an XT.

Tektro I had on my 2nd ebike which sits under a tarp in the backyard. Maybe Tektro is OK If you live in Idaho Timpo ,but not if you live in Colorado .

Apparently you've never been to Idaho.... But I agree, the Shimano is generally the better brake spec.

Attachments

• idaho-salmon-river-sawtooth-mountains.jpg
    idaho-salmon-river-sawtooth-mountains.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 369
I put a 203 Ice tech with finned metal pads on the Shimano XTs replacing the original resin pads and 180mm rotor that came on the front of my Homage. It does not improve the quick or sudden braking , which was just fine anyway. What it does do is make the brakes much more reliable on long hills with less fade .

20180917_105256.jpg

Last edited:
Richard that is exactly what I will try first. I will pick up the bike tonight. I'm Also having the brakes bled and replacing the chain AGAIN! This is the 3rd chain in 4000 km. (Perhaps I should chosen the belt drive?). If the Ice tech 203,s and finned metallic pads do not substantially improve brake overheating, I will try a whole Magura mt7 quad piston system upgrade. Also I feel very lucky since I road 80 km on Tuesday only to find the rear tire flat in the garage on Wednesday morning! Now I will leave Magic Mary on the front and try a Smart Sam DD on the rear.

I don't know, Tektro E715 has been sufficient for me, but I don't have a point of reference to compare with anything else.

Just did a quick research, apparently this is one of the best performing brakes out there. People on MTBR forum talk about it and apparently it's actually that good.
p4pb3408207.jpg

p4pb3408206.jpg

p4pb3408205.jpg
Apparently you've never been to Idaho.... But I agree, the Shimano is generally the better brake spec.

I have Tektro 725E 4 piston brakes and there are very effective. A smooth and linear feel.

Thanks ,OK then I will try that first ( at another bike store )for sure this week! THANKS MR Coffee and RIchard, I do not know why the Trek store mechanic said they would not fit but he was clearly wrong!
. SO I spoke to the Trek sevice manager again today and he told me that the reason he told me the 203 rotors could not be used is that it would void the warranty.

. SO I spoke to the Trek sevice manager again today and he told me that the reason he told me the 203 rotors could not be used is that it would void the warranty.
Same issue with Riese & Muller. If you read their warranty, changing anything voids the warrantee. That can be interpreted to include grips, saddles, stems, seatposts...pretty much anything. It turns out most all bikes have the same silly wording in their warranties. Written by lawyers to provide any excuse to avoid taking responsibility.

Kind of like apple computers. If you open them up and put in more ram or a better hard drive you void the warranty. The product is not really yours if you can't customize it and make your own IMO.

My suggestion is do what you want to do to your bike, using common sense and always make sure you are really adding something better and most importantly stronger. For example the stem that came on my bike is an ergotec with a strength rating of 5. I wanted an adjustable angle stem so I could have a more forward leaning, less upright ride position. I found and ergotec adjustable stem with a strength rating of 6, their top tier. My dealer tells me that the only way the manufacturer will know that you have improved on their product is if the dealer's service people rat you out, which they will not do. They told me not to worry unless there is a frame failure that would necessitate sending the bike back to the manufacturer. Then swap out the old stuff for the new and take it in for warranty work.

Last edited:
Brembo make some of the best brakes for motorcycles and cars so its no surprise theyre making bicycle versions, expect to pay for it though.
Also braided stainless steel lines like you see in the pics above, make a huge difference on a motortcycle (i no longer ride motorcycles due to disability), the lines wont swell like other materials so more effort from the hydraulics goes into the braking rather than being wasted energy.

Who rides a heavy laden Ebike in a hilly area and is completely satisfied with their hydraulic brake system? I have Shimano Deoere XT with 180 rotors and want to upgrade . They work perfectly on the flats but do not cut it in the mountains. What have you got that works?
In your case bigger is better, 4 piston over 2 no match, i agree with JRA. Larger brake area, simple physics.

Can Am has always been an option, but my mental processsing has to improve greatly before i even consider it
PTSD combined with FND (both diagnosed) have ruined everything i used to do, E-Biking has replaced it somewhat.
My last bike was a DCT Africa Twin, loved that thing.
I removed myself from the road as i was a danger to myself and others.

Back