Best flat resistant tires you've found....

Here's the Marathon Plus Tour for comparison. 26x2.0. It was just below freezing on the ride into work today and still the rubber was downright gooshy on those knobs. Its got to be a completely different compound than the standard M+

PXL_20220202_010930665.jpg

PXL_20220202_010944339.jpg

So this is whats currently happening. The friend who I gave the Fairdale to is coming over to see if he can handle the RadRunner. I told him to try it for awhile. He's in his early 60's and is trying to find either a second job or a better job, and I think an ebike would really help him out. I have a new ebike coming in April and I've not been riding the 'Runner much lately. The 'Runner has the stock tires, Tannus inserts (That compressed to almost a cardboard thickness!) and some Mr. Tuffy liners between the tires and the Tannus inserts. I think the weight of the ebike will turn him off because I no longer go to his place to fix flats, he has to bring the bike to me. This guy is not mechanically inclined in any way. So we may be seeing the protection of my tubes in a true urban setting.

how do you like these? how many miles you have on them?
I can now say I have been riding these tires in 26x2.35 and I like them a lot. Very smooth on pavement. Only about 100 miles on them. But they suck on loose dirt. Wrong tool for the job. Hit the brakes and the front tire washes out if the dirt is more than two inches or so deep. rules of the road where I was riding said I could take the whole road but had to move over to the shoulder for the tour buses that ran every 15 minutes, and the shoulder was super nasty if I wasn't paying very close attention. These are pavement tires that can handle rain (first ride was in the rain) and hardpack but not loose dirt.

I can now say I have been riding these tires in 26x2.35 and I like them a lot. Very smooth on pavement. Only about 100 miles on them. But they suck on loose dirt. Wrong tool for the job. Hit the brakes and the front tire washes out if the dirt is more than two inches or so deep. rules of the road where I was riding said I could take the whole road but had to move over to the shoulder for the tour buses that ran every 15 minutes, and the shoulder was super nasty if I wasn't paying very close attention. These are pavement tires that can handle rain (first ride was in the rain) and hardpack but not loose dirt.
I was able to snag one for 27$ so I'm running it in the back with a Johnny Watts on the front. so far so good. still gotta see how it handles with a passanger. reminds me so far of super moto x

reminds me so far of super moto x
I have run the SMX in 26" in the past and now 20" x 2.40 belted on the front of my Bullitt. Absolutely. Its kind of a beefed up version of that tire.. Hold one in each hand and the Pickup is really heavy, but that can be a good thing. Especially on an ebike. I have maybe 350 miles on the Pickups now and still fine. I expect them to last a lonnnng time.
PXL_20220526_161920069.jpg

Last edited:
I have run the SMX in 26" in the past and now 20" x 2.40 belted on the front of my Bullitt. Absolutely. Its kind of a beefed up version of that tire.. Hold one in each hand and the Pickup is really heavy, but that can be a good thing. Especially on an ebike. I have maybe 350 miles on the Pickups now and still fine. I expect them to last a lonnnng time.
View attachment 126364
look at this k Swifts or shield or whatever they called only came off with 700 or so miles. I really looking for tires that can go 10k miles because changing them out every few months is a big negative compared to other forms of commuting. I put tannus liners as well I've had well over a dozen flats in 3 years. luckily I can normally find a LBS but the hours aren't great usually. wish it was like cars there are plenty of 24 hour spots with used 40$ tires.

Attachments

• 20220617_145041.jpg
    20220617_145041.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 130
My brother had a Ford Explorer in Cairo for 4 years. He went into a U.S. tire repair place and they found 30 plugs in just one tire. I could see our major cities having lots of metal sharpies on the road sides. I intend to pick up a spare tube to haul along today.

Back