Best flat resistant tires you've found....

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
What 26x2.125 sized tire have you found that has great puncture protection? I have a friend whose only transportation is a bicycle and I help keep his bike running. But lately I've fixed a rear flat, always the rear, 3 times in the last 2 months! The strangest things get to the inner tube. A staple, what looks like a wire from a steel belted tire, a sharp rock! Just crazy stuff. Currently using a Vee Rubber tire from my E-Lux, a Mr. Tuffy tire liner and a Slime inner tube. I've yet to actually see what caused this current flat but I suspect the flimsy Vee tire with its E stop, or whatever its flat protection is called, didn't work. I know Continental and Schwalbe make good tires (I use Continental on my ebike) but what have you found that works?

If anyone cares to know, the bike is a Fairdale Taj 26" bmx bike. Thing is tough, only the cheap unsealed hubs hold it back from 100% perfection for urban use.

I ended up just ordering what I'm running on my E-Lux, Continental Contact Plus City Reflex Tire in 26x2.2. So far so good on my ebike. Just realize I've never done a review of them. Anyways, they have nice rolling characteristics, have survived without getting flats (so far) and they look good! My shoes gotta have style! Minus points would be not very stable in grass/dirt/gravel, but that's not what they were designed for.

So my friend calls me to say the rear tire mentioned above is flat, again. He has zero mechanical ability so I fix flats as well as overall care of the bikes. I'm thinking what could have happened, I had a Slime liner, a Tuffy liner and the E-Lux tire with a Slime tube. So I run over to his place on my scooter last night to pull the wheel to investigate. The Mr. Tuffy tire liner folded over creating a sharp seam. I think it slid on the Slime liner. So I tossed the Slime inner tube in the trash because all the Slime green goo leaked out of the small hole and filled the tire. Slime is a waste of money as I've never actually seen it work. I replaced the worthless Slime tube with a 20% thicker Blackburn tube from Wally World, removed the extra Slime liner, cleaned the green goo out and got everything back up and running. The new Continental tire and thorn proof tube are on their way but his back-up bike doesn't ride as nice as his Fairdale, so I fixed yet another flat.

regardless of what tire setup which should be dialed in they should learn how to change a flat.

Alee Denham, a world backpack cycling tourer (over 50,000km) recently recommended the Schwalbe Al Grounder tire.
He says it has excellent wear characteristics and is one of the best flat resistant tires he's ever used.

Tire: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/al-grounder
thats a good choice for some off road maybe for our tandem. ri these marathons https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-plus-tour have more protection though not as much grip off road. if only on road these will give the best protection. https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-e-plus

Schwalbe Marathon +. They're available in several tread types. For more protection, Add Tanus Armour inserts. I use both on my 26x 2.25 rims with no flats in almost 2000 miles.

Schwalbe Marathon +. They're available in several tread types. For more protection, Add Tanus Armour inserts. I use both on my 26x 2.25 rims with no flats in almost 2000 miles.
I don't think I could handle the harshness. they are rough enough as is. really felt them on our tandem.

I don't think I could handle the harshness. they are rough enough as is. really felt them on our tandem.
They are indeed a hard ride. I dropped the pressure from 60# to 35# and they softened up quite a bit. The ride isn't as soft as I'd like but the extra flat protection is worth it to me.

They are indeed a hard ride. I dropped the pressure from 60# to 35# and they softened up quite a bit. The ride isn't as soft as I'd like but the extra flat protection is worth it to me.
is 35 above the recommend psi? I thought 60 was the bottom.

is 35 above the recommend psi? I thought 60 was the bottom.
The 26x2.0 Marathon Plus I use on my Bullitt is 58 psi max (which is really just the conversion from the manufacturer's rec in metric: 4 bar). I have let them slowly sink down to about 40 psi and for sure they are softer... but I have found they are not harsh at all. I think this is just a function of the frame more than it is the tire. My Bullitt is pretty flexible despite its alloy construction (length is about 8 ft).

I use a thornproof, oversized tube inside that is a 2.3-2.5 size, so a big tube. FlatOut inside of that so no Tannus. The Tannus actually seems to 'deaden' tires, not make them harder (I use it in the front tire and on several other bikes). Also that M+ on 40 psi is sitting on an MTX39 rim whbich is a nice wide 31mm inside, so its more tolerant of lower pressures. If you are on skinny rims you can't go down as low without consequences becoming more likely.

So the Marathon Plus is effectively flatproof. In the cargo bike groups, this is the tire everyone recommends. I have a Schwalbe Pickup in hand waiting for a job and it does seem like a solid casing. I definitely like the tread. A slightly bigger tire is the Continental Contact City Plus which is 26x2.20... now this is a hard ass tire, although I am running it at full rated psi... it is a miserable ride on my mid tail Envoy. The Conti is also effectively flatproof without any helpers. I use thornproof oversized tubes on those tires as well.

Also, the Marathon Plus Tour in 26x2.0 is just as flatproof as the regular Marathon Plus but its a bit knobby, with soft rubber on the outside (its meant for cold weather) and so is cushier. I am using it right now as a winter tire on my Bullitt. Very solid plant on the ground when cornering.

If you want flatproof for anything up to and including about 1/2" holes, put flatout inside the tube. If the guy is getting snakebites there's no solution for that other than proper inflation.

I ended up just ordering what I'm running on my E-Lux, Continental Contact Plus City Reflex Tire in 26x2.2.
It took me a minute to realize these are the same tires I am talking about above. Reflex is the rubber compound the tires use.

They do roll very well. They used to be much cheaper than their direct competitor, the Marathon Plus, in part because Conti was selling them into the bike share and rental markets for fleets. I paid $34 each for mine and they now go for $45 (this happened pre-Covid). Lots of miles on them and zero flats. But as I said... they are one hard ass tire. I swapped in my spare wheelset with them on over the weekend thanks to a busted spoke and boy howdy was that ever an unpleasant re-acquaintance with their ride quality.

Now that we are talking about this, I think I may throw on that Pickup I have laying around to see if I can get some improvement.

The 26x2.0 Marathon Plus I use on my Bullitt is 58 psi max (which is really just the conversion from the manufacturer's rec in metric: 4 bar). I have let them slowly sink down to about 40 psi and for sure they are softer... but I have found they are not harsh at all. I think this is just a function of the frame more than it is the tire. My Bullitt is pretty flexible despite its alloy construction (length is about 8 ft).

I use a thornproof, oversized tube inside that is a 2.3-2.5 size, so a big tube. FlatOut inside of that so no Tannus. The Tannus actually seems to 'deaden' tires, not make them harder (I use it in the front tire and on several other bikes). Also that M+ on 40 psi is sitting on an MTX39 rim whbich is a nice wide 31mm inside, so its more tolerant of lower pressures. If you are on skinny rims you can't go down as low without consequences becoming more likely.

So the Marathon Plus is effectively flatproof. In the cargo bike groups, this is the tire everyone recommends. I have a Schwalbe Pickup in hand waiting for a job and it does seem like a solid casing. I definitely like the tread. A slightly bigger tire is the Continental Contact City Plus which is 26x2.20... now this is a hard ass tire, although I am running it at full rated psi... it is a miserable ride on my mid tail Envoy. The Conti is also effectively flatproof without any helpers. I use thornproof oversized tubes on those tires as well.
I am used to the marathon Plus road 60 psi is the lowest. but at 70 psi most of the flat fluids dont work or I cant find what gave me a flat till I take the tire off. I would like more tread on our tandem since we take it on paths sometimes. a flat on that is a real pain.

I am used to the marathon Plus road 60 psi is the lowest. but at 70 psi most of the flat fluids dont work or I cant find what gave me a flat till I take the tire off. I would like more tread on our tandem since we take it on paths sometimes. a flat on that is a real pain.
huh I just checked and sure enough you can go 70 psi on those tires. 60 is good enough for my 250 lb carcass sitting on one great big cargo bike. 70 for sure is unnecessary. With the Marathon, I have never had a flat for FlatOut to seal in the first place. They seem to be invulnerable to all intents and purposes.

I will try and get a pic of the Marathon Plus Tour from the same angle as below for a comparison. I put it on maybe a week or so ago. I think that tread will be exactly what you are looking for insofar as paths/hardpack is concerned.

pxl_20220122_200506314[1].jpg

thats a good choice for some off road maybe for our tandem. ri these marathons https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-plus-tour have more protection though not as much grip off road. if only on road these will give the best protection. https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-e-plus
yeah but neither the E-Plus nor the AI Grounder are available in 26", so the OP can't use them. However they all have the same protection level: M+, E+ and M+Tour: Rated at 7. That made my decision for me for a rear tire and I did the M+Tour.

I have gotten several flats on the marathon plus's maybe 6 total in 13,000 miles. so I wont complain. but riding in the cold the tires are harsh.
Ditto.. 2 flats in about 4000km. The first was a small piece of wood off a pallet, the second a large thumb tack. Both embedded directly into the tyre at a right angle. Admittedly unlucky events but zero flats in the following two years since adding Tannus to the mix. Luck? Better odds? Who knows. It is very much a dead-feeling mix as @fooferdoggie points out. They do wear remarkably well - about 8000km and still on my first pair.

When the damn things do wear out I'd like to find something with a similar level of protection but a more road feel or nuance. Any recommendations? 622x47 is my maximum size.

I did have a puncture running the Tannus when experimenting with a Schwalbe G-One R up back. I think a tiny grain of stone either worked its way inside the rim or I somehow missed it during my pre-install clean. Since then I just run the remarkably grippy and supple G-One's up front and keep the heavier duty Marathon on the rear. It's a reliable mix of grip and protection.

Anyone switch to tubeless as a commuter? I'm tempted. It'd require a TR tyre though. Goodness knows what that'd be. I already carry a spare tube and tools every ride.

Ditto.. 2 flats in about 4000km. The first was a small piece of wood off a pallet, the second a large thumb tack. Both embedded directly into the tyre at a right angle. Admittedly unlucky events but zero flats in the following two years since adding Tannus to the mix. Luck? Better odds? Who knows. It is very much a dead-feeling mix as @fooferdoggie points out. They do wear remarkably well - about 8000km and still on my first pair.

When the damn things do wear out I'd like to find something with a similar level of protection but a more road feel or nuance. Any recommendations? 622x47 is my maximum size.

I did have a puncture running the Tannus when experimenting with a Schwalbe G-One R up back. I think a tiny grain of stone either worked its way inside the rim or I somehow missed it during my pre-install clean. Since then I just run the remarkably grippy and supple G-One's up front and keep the heavier duty Marathon on the rear. It's a reliable mix of grip and protection.

Anyone switch to tubeless as a commuter? I'm tempted. It'd require a TR tyre though. Goodness knows what that'd be. I already carry a spare tube and tools every ride.
my first two were through the side. the things last a long time too. I got 7000 miles on the front tire. I goofed the back up and did not remember when Put it on. Thought about going tubeless but it seems a hassle to have to air your tires up so often.

Had good run out of big bens.
Schwalbe Pick-Up Tire 27.5 X 2.35, Super Defense, E-50, Addix-E, Black-Reflex
These are design for cargo bikes and heavy loads, have stiffer side walls which means harder ride. Balloon tyres like Big Ben and Jonny Watts have more compliance and will give softer ride at cost of less puncture protection. That extra compliance also means more grip.

Back