Best Cheap Car Bike Rack?

Good question @The duke. I work in the industry and see lots of people hauling ebikes around with their cars... and surprisingly, some of the reps for higher end brands use what I would consider "cheap" racks... but they are always platform style racks. This is because many ebikes have step-thru frames or won't work with hang racks because of fenders, lights etc. and roof racks are super vulnerable to low hanging spaces like parking garages and McDonald's drive thru's ;)

Anyway, I have owned and enjoyed Küat racks and the Thule EasyFold is awesome, but they are SUPER pricey. So, the one I see frequently that is less expensive is Hollywood racks (and they do have the ebike specific one that's rated to more weight). You'll need a hitch installed on your car, but that can be done fairly affordably. I installed an 1-1/4" hitch on my Toyota Prius and just remember to remove my battery pack and place the heaviest bike closest to the car to reduce the pressure and leverage of the weight on the hitch. I've never had an issue... except for when I forgot to buckle in my loaner Stromer and it fell partially off while driving through a residential street. Wow, bad embarrassing feeling there!

None of the options I'm sharing here are as cheap as the steel cargo carrier thing mentioned by @6zfshdb but these bike-specific solutions are a bit easier to work with, can carry multiple bikes with scratching them up, and probably also weigh less which makes them easier to mount, de-mount, and store (taking up less space). Hope this helps! I'd love to hear and see more about what you learn and choose based on our feedback.

I am just not as rich as you guys are! Nearly $3,000 for my ebike earlier this year broke the bank. And I told my wife it would SAVE US MONEY by allowing us to go down to a 1 car household! We'll be getting rid of our SUV when the lease is up and will only have my wife's tiny sedan. If I spend $1,000+ on a rack system I hope to only use a few times a year, I'll be sleeping on the couch. ☹

I was hoping to get something simple for around $50 that could handle one ebike. If it started pouring rain while I was at work, I would buy a 2nd and leave that spare in the office. I have co-workers who have offered to take me home and I was hoping I could pop the bike carrier onto the back of their cars. If I felt sick, my wife could drop me and my bike off and I would only have to worry about riding home....very occassionally stuff.

Would something like this....for $40 or $50 from amazon really crumple under the weight of a 50lb ebike? Will I be cursing my frugality as I stare thru the rear view mirror at my bike in traffic lanes on the freeway?

F1B_1400x.jpg

Last edited:
I am just not as rich as you guys are! Nearly $3,000 for my ebike earlier this year broke the bank. And I told my wife it would SAVE US MONEY by allowing us to go down to a 1 car household! We'll be getting rid of our SUV when the lease is up and will only have my wife's tiny sedan. If I spend $1,000+ on a rack system I hope to only use a few times a year, I'll be sleeping on the couch. ☹

I was hoping to get something simple for around $50 that could handle one ebike. If it started pouring rain while I was at work, I would buy a 2nd and leave that spare in the office. I have co-workers who have offered to take me home and I was hoping I could pop the bike carrier onto the back of their cars. If I felt sick, my wife could drop me and my bike off and I would only have to worry about riding home....very occassionally stuff.

Would something like this....for $40 or $50 from amazon really crumple under the weight of a 50lb ebike? Will I be cursing my frugality as I stare thru the rear view mirror at my bike in traffic lanes on the freeway?

F1B_1400x.jpg
Personally, I wouldnt put a 50+lb ebike on something like that. I owned a rack like that(but a more respectable brand i.e. thule) many years ago(90s, design/straps look the same) and considered it marginal at best for the 25lb MTB I used it for. But I used to drive like a maniac. I finally just disassembled the MTB(took off wheels and seatpost/saddle) and put it in the trunk of my 92 sentra se-r. That being said, I got two standard MTB bikes on a rack like that (about 50# total) without failure but its not anything I would recommend

For about 15 years, I used thule roof racks (non-ebike) for up to 4 MTBs.

These days I am using 1Up racks on trailer hitches. Lots of $$ but high quality stuff
https://www.1up-usa.com/

Which brings up a quandry for me. The WHOLE purpose of ebikes(for me) is to be able to ride from my house, negating the use of car racks/travel

Last edited:
So, the one I see frequently that is less expensive is Hollywood racks (and they do have the ebike specific one that's rated to more weight). You'll need a hitch installed on your car, but that can be done fairly affordably. I installed an 1-1/4" hitch on my Toyota Prius

You had my interest until I saw this under the description as I too have a 1 1/4" hitch on my car.

Fits 2" hitches only; Cannot be used with 1-1/4" to 2" adapter

True, not many sedans will take a 2" hitch. I have a 1 1/4" on my Jetta. That still cost around $200 installed. My platform rack was $175.

Those trunk racks are advertised to carry two 30 pound bikes. If I had an ebike under 45 pounds with the battery removed. I wouldn't worry much about carrying it, unless it was a step-thru. They sell these bars that clip onto step-thrus for these racks, but I never liked using a rear quick release seat post to hold half the weight of a bike,

The other risk is you will probably have the pedals scratch the paint on your car. Put a golf head cover over the near pedal.

F1B_1400x.jpg
Something like this will work until it fails ,not to mention any damage to your car. Are you willing to gamble your 3k bike to save a few bucks? That is your call Duke but I have not seen anything that I would trust for under about $300 .

Last edited:
Saris is a good company in Wisconsin that makes sturdy made-in-the-USA bike racks in my opinion. And I would use a trunk carrier for an occasional tote.

Nonetheless, popping a trunk carrier on someone else's car? Probably the last free ride offer you'll get. Get a poncho and ride home in the rain.

I just installed a Swagman Current dual eBike rack for Fat Tires. It cost around $300. It fits both 2" and 1.1/4. These are rated for 60# bikes x 2. They also come with a bike/hitch anti theft cable and locking rachett style bike retention. I use this on my Subbie xtrek and my camper. I checked for any change in angle in the hitch after a few hundred miles...rock steady. This is the lowest end rack I'd consider and believe me I had all kinds of reasons for wanting cheaper but in the end the specs said *Don't Risk It*.

I also bought the Swagman E-Spec ebike rack for $300. However it's recommended for 2 inch receivers and max weight rating of 70 lbs per bike. I'm not sure i would want my 3K ebike (or 1K for that matter) on a rack that isn't designed for what my needs are. If an accident occurred and the insurance company found out my rack wasn't intended for E-bikes then I would be out of pocket for whatever replacement costs of my bike and any damage done to others. Piece of mind comes at a cost imo.

I think you just confirmed the rack is in spec. My eBikes are around 58lbs with batteries. That leaves 42# of leeway. As far as the
1 1/4 side of the hitch, they adapt for 2 inch ,A class 1 tow system is rated at 200# tongue weight. All that being said, after a few hundred miles the rack shows zero sag. As far as insurance goes, I think I'm in line. Of course that's assuming my ins. would be there when I needed them. BTW...my rack came with the Fat tire (4 to 4.5) retention that securely holds both wheels. Did you get rid of your rack?

F1B_1400x.jpg

There are quite a few of these trunk mount racks out there used to carry conventional bikes. I've never seen one used with an expensive e-bike though. Personally, I haven't had much luck using one. I used this type many years ago to carry one or two 30# MTB's on several different vehicles. In my experience, they tend to shift and cause paint damage. In one case, it broke the rear hatch window on my brother's SUV.

Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any other viable options and I hope I'm not giving you bad advice here. If I were in your shoes, in a pinch or out of necessity, I might give it a try depending on the distance and type of roads involved. Frequent turns, high speeds and rough roads should be avoided. There is some risk though and I certainly wouldn't advise putting a rack like this on a coworker's car. I also DO NOT suggest doing this on a regular basis.

If you do go this route, lighten the bike as much as possible by removing the battery and seatpost. Put the bike on the rack as close to the vehicle as possible. If you can, tie a safety rope to the vehicle to keep the bike from hitting the pavement if the rack should come loose or fail. I would also test it by driving around the block a few times and inspect the strap tension before going any distance.

Lastly, when you shop for the rack, don't just buy the cheapest one you can find. Check the reviews, weight rating and fit for your vehicle. The Hollywood F1B rack shown in your picture is good but I would suggest their slightly more expensive Baja model with side straps for better stability.

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Ra...argid=aud-801657747996:pla-568756475462&psc=1

Good luck!

This is the one topic I offer my option on when not asked, normally hate this when other do it to me so sorry in advanc....

I have had ebikes come loose at 75mph when used correctly. Once the tire went flat and the bike dropped an inch and the am was then loose, this one of the scariest things. My 1st thought seeing my bike 1/2 way off my rack “my expensive bike is going to get ruined followed quickly by what about the vehicles behind me. They would be serious issues of 60lbs of ebike flying down the road at someone, death included. Happened another coupe of times.

If you are out there with a carrying a bike that is over weight you are asking for troubles. Insurance won’t cover and nothing would replace someone’s life. Carrying a bike properly is 1 aspect of the the true cost of the bike experience. If just one aspect of the carrier does not meet weight the bike moves and then...

it isn’t fair to the others for you to take chances with this.

being the extremist I am I bought a van so I could keep my bike inside while traveling, i didn't like watching my bike as I drove for hours on end Bouncing up and down in the mirror

Well your right about one thing, your an extremist. Your implying I'm irresponsible is disingenuous at best. A flat tire on a Swagman should not have come loose had you secured the bike(s) to the rack and rear bumper or rooftop cargo racks. I assume anyone using any bike rack secures their system in the event of a failure to insure the rack and bikes stay attached to the vehicle and not go sliding rearwards towards oncoming traffic. Most people are not going to purchase a Van or sell their eBikes due to an incident that happened and if accessed could be prevented in the future. I try to make sure I have done due diligence whenever my activity could effect others. Had your bike came off your rack and hit another vehicle based on your description of the event you would have been liable. As to specs, again, I am well within mfg specs on both hitches. As to doing 75? Bikes on a rack? WTF? BTW that bouncing you see is / was due to you not using the Swagman "screw in" hitch pin or your unaware that "flex" is an engineered component on any hitch insert. So cautioning someone is one thing, accusing them is another.

This is the one topic I offer my option on when not asked, normally hate this when other do it to me so sorry in advanc....

I have had ebikes come loose at 75mph when used correctly. Once the tire went flat and the bike dropped an inch and the am was then loose, this one of the scariest things. My 1st thought seeing my bike 1/2 way off my rack “my expensive bike is going to get ruined followed quickly by what about the vehicles behind me. They would be serious issues of 60lbs of ebike flying down the road at someone, death included. Happened another coupe of times.

If you are out there with a carrying a bike that is over weight you are asking for troubles. Insurance won’t cover and nothing would replace someone’s life. Carrying a bike properly is 1 aspect of the the true cost of the bike experience. If just one aspect of the carrier does not meet weight the bike moves and then...

it isn’t fair to the others for you to take chances with this.

being the extremist I am I bought a van so I could keep my bike inside while traveling, i didn't like watching my bike as I drove for hours on end Bouncing up and down in the mirror

No offense taken. To be clear, no one is proposing to overload a rack. The weight limit of both the Hollywood trunk mount racks mentioned above is 3 - 35# bikes. The OP's bike weighs 50#, about half of the racks limit. The Hollywood F1B rack states "no ebikes". I suspect they are referring to 3 ebikes. One of the reasons I recommended the Baja rack is it does not specifically exclude ebikes.

I'm not a physicist, but I see little difference between carrying 3 light bikes or a single heavy one as long as it is mounted close to the vehicle. Although I don't recommend using this type of rack for ANY bike on a regular basis, no limits, laws or regulations are being violated by doing so. Your liability is no different than it would be using any other type rack.

I've also had bikes come loose from hitch racks and it indeed is a scary thing. That is the reason I use and recommend safety straps to keep the bikes off the pavement if something should go wrong.

BTW, what type of van do you use to carry your ebikes? Do you have to remove the front tire or do you lay them on their side? I presently carry mine in the bed of my pickup on a slide out rack. I'd like to do the same with a van to better protect them from the weather. I haven't yet found one with enough vertical clearance at the rear doors to accommodate the slide.

There are quite a few of these trunk mount racks out there used to carry conventional bikes. I've never seen one used with an expensive e-bike though. Personally, I haven't had much luck using one. I used this type many years ago to carry one or two 30# MTB's on several different vehicles. In my experience, they tend to shift and cause paint damage. In one case, it broke the rear hatch window on my brother's SUV.

Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any other viable options and I hope I'm not giving you bad advice here. If I were in your shoes, in a pinch or out of necessity, I might give it a try depending on the distance and type of roads involved. Frequent turns, high speeds and rough roads should be avoided. There is some risk though and I certainly wouldn't advise putting a rack like this on a coworker's car. I also DO NOT suggest doing this on a regular basis.

If you do go this route, lighten the bike as much as possible by removing the battery and seatpost. Put the bike on the rack as close to the vehicle as possible. If you can, tie a safety rope to the vehicle to keep the bike from hitting the pavement if the rack should come loose or fail. I would also test it by driving around the block a few times and inspect the strap tension before going any distance.

Lastly, when you shop for the rack, don't just buy the cheapest one you can find. Check the reviews, weight rating and fit for your vehicle. The Hollywood F1B rack shown in your picture is good but I would suggest their slightly more expensive Baja model with side straps for better stability.

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Ra...argid=aud-801657747996:pla-568756475462&psc=1

Good luck!

You are an awesome person! What a thoughtful and helpful post. My LBS told me almost exactly the same thing as you just did. I think I'm sadly (for my wallet), scared off of the cheap bike racks.

I was told that etrailer sells $120 tow hitches, and then I can buy a $100, hitch attached cheap, hitch mounted rack, and itll be worlds better. Thanks again!

I have had just plain bad luck with the trunk mounted racks carrying 2 conventional acoustic bikes. I will never go back to that style for safety and liability reasons. After all was said and done, I ended up with a 1-1/4" hitch mount purchased from eTrailer and did the install which was a bit challenging due to rusted undercarriage (pre-drilled mounting holes). Cleaned those out with WD-40 and a battery post cleaning brush and I was good t go. The hitch is safe and secure, and I can now confidently mount an E-bike rated bike rack on the receiver with no issues for several years now. This is the route I will go with all future mounting setups. No more scratched up paint either. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
After all was said and done, I ended up with a 1-1/4" hitch mount purchased from etrailer
Until our last vehicle, I'd purchased hitch kits from eTrailer. Some were more of an adventure than others, but often due diligence will find which kit will be the easiest to install. I have watched them only get better at instructions, videos, and options. We purchased a rack after Xmas when sales were turtle slow in a Midwestern LBS. A 1-1/4" Thule Rack. There was a nice discount. My only caveat has been the weight of the hitch and installing it. It's definitely difficult unless the owner is fully able to climb around on the pavement and get it installed. It can fold up but then blocks the tailgate/trunk access. But solid as a rock with 140# of bikes

Back