Best bike lock for a fat tire

jkchang82

I'm looking to purchase some locks for my new bike. I have an E-lux Sierra which is a folding fat bike with an extra fat frame to hide the battery.

I currently have one Kryptonite NY U-Lock but I don't think that'll work at all with the new bike.
E-lux also hooked me up with Kryptonite Keeper chain lock with a ~37" length and I think I might be able to use it on thinner posts, maybe for the tires.

I'm trying to see what other/better options I have. I'd prefer not to lug a 15lb Fahgettaboudit. I read the Abus Bordo locks are a top choice. I need something long and nimble enough to lock my frame and rear tire so that I can maybe use my current chain lock with the front tire.

Any and all suggestions welcome. I should also mention I'm located in NYC with intentions to possible lock the bike outdoors while at work (in a highly traffic area).

Thanks!

IMG_2393.JPG

You could not use the locks you have. You really only need to put the U-lock around one of the rear chainstay/seatstay tubes and a fixed object. The wheel are bolted on so not easy targets like QR wheels. You could use the chain to further secure the front wheel; the rear has the power cable which a thief may not want to deal with. The only other thing you would need to secure is the seat and seatpost, because a thief can just open the quick release and walk off with them (and seat theft is very common).

If you will have a regular locking spot, if it is allowed you could leave another lock (ABUS or Fahgettaboudit chain) on the rack/pole so you would not have to carry it, then use the regular U-lock as a secondary deterrent. I think you should remove the battery when you park it, and if the display/control pad can be removed, take it also. The main thing is to make the bike too much trouble to deal with, and not as tempting a target.

You could not use the locks you have. You really only need to put the U-lock around one of the rear chainstay/seatstay tubes and a fixed object. The wheel are bolted on so not easy targets like QR wheels. You could use the chain to further secure the front wheel; the rear has the power cable which a thief may not want to deal with. The only other thing you would need to secure is the seat and seatpost, because a thief can just open the quick release and walk off with them (and seat theft is very common).

Are you saying you don't think the tires will draw much attention since they're either bolted or have too many cables? So use my U-lock for my frame and if anything, get another chain lock to secure the front tire for secondary support? I was already planning to take off my seat post via QR but I have no current options for the LCD...

I a thief has a wrench among his tools, it would not be terribly difficult to steal the wheels. If you locked the bike in a folded position, you could use the U-lock to secure the wheels together (running it through the spokes of both wheels). Then use an ABUS or other heavy duty lock to secure the frame to your parking spot. And then use the Keeper chain as a third deterrent. So the thief would have to defeat three locks to steal a bike that has no battery.

First of all, congrats on the new ebike. If you haven't already, I hope you'll post your impressions of the bike in the E-Lux forum, and especially if you swap out the tires as you were inquiring about in another thread.

The lock on my Amazon Wish List is the Abus Bordo GRANIT X Plus 6500. Abus has given the lock its security level 15 rating for high crime areas. There is a YouTube video of someone shearing the link pin on the Bordo, but it's the less robust model 6000. I'm sure this is still the weak link (pun intended) of this type of lock, but it's unique design makes it more of a challenge than a conventional cable, chain or U-lock. A combination of different lock types is probably the best defense when you can't keep your bike within arms length.

The lock on my Amazon Wish List is the Abus Bordo GRANIT X Plus 6500. Abus has given the lock its security level 15 rating for high crime areas. There is a YouTube video of someone shearing the link pin on the Bordo, but it's the less robust model 6000. I'm sure this is still the weak link (pun intended) of this type of lock, but it's unique design makes it more of a challenge than a conventional cable, chain or U-lock. A combination of different lock types is probably the best defense when you can't keep your bike within arms length.

Thanks. I will make sure to share my impressions. I'm hoping to do a quick review video as well since there isn't much stuff out there on Elux bikes.

The Abus lock is also on my wish list but I did read that it's on the shorter end ~35" and that might be too short for the bulky tire/frame of my bike (long enough as a secondary to lock the front tire). I did hear the Abus Bordo Big is longer but not as secured as the Granit X, so I'm struggling to figure out the best of all worlds.

My current logic is to get the "best" lock (thinking long chain lock) for the rear tire / seat stay (maybe incorporate my existing U-lock) and another chain for the front tire. But that's 2-3 locks which seem like a lot. That and I'd take out my seat post. It's a foldable but I don't feel compelled to lock the bike while folded, leaving my battery compartment exposed.

This is a larger concern only because the bike is larger than expected and I don't know how my workplace will take me bringing my bike into the office...

This ABUS U-lock may have a longer shank than the one you currently have, and this ABUS chain and padlock were also on my Wish List as top choices for locking my future ebike.

I'm fortunate that my employer allows me to bring my non-ebike into my cubicle. In fact, my supervisor supports my efforts to stay healthy by biking to work. I have to bring it up 2 flights of stairs, which is not too bad with a 36# bike, but doing so with a 60-70# bike will be the true test of my commitment. Leaving it outside is not an option for me.

Check out Velosurance.

So, you live in New York City, and you want to park, at night, all night, on a regularly scheduled basis, an expensive, recognizable brand-name e-bike, right? Have you considered just handing the nearest crack-head your money, instead?

Get the insurance. That bike will attract a pro, who will crack both locks in less than 5 minutes, at best, and it will be gone.

I like the combo of U-bolts, chains, cables, Insurance policy, registration with local police/national bike registries, and electronic monitoring. Depending on the area determines how much/little security I add to my ebike. I also lock my ebikes together when my wife and I ride to 2X the locks. Depending on where and how far away you are from your locked ebike, Bluetooth or cellular electronic monitoring can give you an heads-up on your email/smartphone if someone is in the process or stealing or being able to track the ebike down later.

Would not recommend locking a $1.5k+ bike with a $15 lock. Multiple people have shown it be cut and picked. Since you already have a U and chain, using a combination seems to be the safest bet for your situation. I carry an 11lb chain that gets run through the frame and both wheels with a mini u on the end.

I wouldn't let price fool you. This is a 4lb, waterproof solid lock with equally solid reviews (amazon 300+ at 4.4) and routinely listed as one of the best bike locks available -

https://mountainbikereviewed.com/club-utl810-utility-lock-review/.
http://www.togetherwebike.com/5-cheap-bike-locks-that-dont-suck/
https://www.probikeninja.com/best-mountain-bike-locks/

I use 2 of them at the same time with a thick cable on my $3000 ebike. Most thieves will pass on this lock to find something easier to steal. However, if I had a cordless angle grinder, cutting thru this or a $100 Kryptonite or abus lock is no different. Been using these for over 2 years in public downtown and at a local university (with good number of bike thefts), no issues yet other than I got a seat stolen once.

Last edited:
Back