Belt Drives vs. Chain for Electric Bikes, Pros & Cons

How many gears do you run Tom? I like 10/11 speed 11-46.
I have a Rohloff on my Ultra Watt Wagon and I don't think I've used more than 5 or 6 gears. Not the fault of the bike I just always ride it on level pavement, usually the highway.
I’m a 7 speed fan on my multi geared bike, 11Tx32T and typically a 42T chainwheel. I run a 11Tx34T and a 52T on a 350w BBS01, but it’s a bit touchy and easy to overstress if not using the gears ratios carefully. But I can squeeze out some speed as long as I keep it spinning a peak rpm. Something I typically discourage most customer to do. 52Tx11T with a BBSHD is one quick ride! Sadly a Rohloff is not in my budget, as if anything is... that’s my excuse. Do you think that side range is really useful for the average rider? For the avid off-roader?

I would never go out of my way to buy/build a bike with a belt drive.
I’m with you, but I must admit, were it in my sights and were really interested, I’d be all over Alaskans bike. Local fella, our age, has a belt drive Bosch. It’s spooky quiet. I must admit I’m confused about the specs. Old school riders tell me thst belt drives are a decrease in power. We don’t see them in road races for good reason. Lower efficiency, but I maybe having a rectal cranial inversion here. I really don’t know. Hmmm...Tom admits not knowing...make a note...

Back