Be sure battery pack is seated

Anamixis

We recently purchased two Como 3.0 bikes for myself and my wife.

We live in the north GA mountains where there are no LBS locations that carry e-bikes. This is major mountain bike territory. While I wanted the Como 3.0, it was difficult to find one to test ride. We found a dealer in NC that had the Como 3.0 in the shop. I finally ended up ordering the bikes at Trailhead bike shop in Cleveland, TN. They added our bikes to an existing order. They arrived in three days. Great service.

My bike is dark blue and my wife has the Lilac (pinkish) color. We are really pleased with the bikes. There are no level trails so we have been biking some pretty steep terrain. The bikes tackle them with ease. It took an hour or so to get familiar with various assist modes and gearing. In turbo mode, in low gear, I can handle steep grades that were impossible with my previous bikes.

HOWEVER, mind the cautions about seating the battery with an extra thump. We arrived at the trail the other day and my battery was loose. It could have easily come off and skidded down the highway without me noticing. So be careful when installing the battery after charging. Double check it.

Otherwise we are super excited about the bikes. I’m thinking of adding a Kinekt seat post as I have severe lower back issues. I would also like to install a rear rack but haven’t seen one on a bike. Please comment if you have a rear rack you are pleased with.

Hopefully we won’t have any major service issues as the dealer is 90 minutes away.

Specialized makes a rack for the Roll series of bikes that fits the Como perfectly. This photo shows that rack on a small frame low entry 3.0 (the Lilac in the foreground) and kinda shows it on a M/L frame 3.0 in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
The battery is suppose to be removed when the bike is on a car rack (see owner's manual). Sometimes I am just taking my Vado a short distance, and while tempting to leave the battery on, I always remove it-- not keen to pay $1000 CAD + for a replacement. I suspect it may be a safety issue as well, in case you get severely rear ended. Also, yes, the seating of the battery is not as straight forward as one might expect-- I always get my fingernails in the gap and try to pry it up hard, to be sure it is truly locked in.

The battery is suppose to be removed when the bike is on a car rack (see owner's manual). ...

I didn't recall seeing that in the manual, so I just went back thru a downloaded version of the 2020 Vado/Como manual and I still don't see it. Can you point me to a section or page?

I always transport without the battery installed as well, even for the sake of the extra weight on the rack.

I didn't recall seeing that in the manual, so I just went back thru a downloaded version of the 2020 Vado/Como manual and I still don't see it. Can you point me to a section or page?
Hi Ron-- I actually just dropped my manual off with the bike for a warranty claim, so I can't reference it... but here it is on a Speciality frequently asked questions page:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 11.27.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 11.27.31 AM.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 484
In the owners manual (p 19, section 8.4.2) it says to..”press down on the battery near the power button until it clicks and engages with the lock.”

You have to make sure it clicks into place but you also must check it by trying to pull up on the pack. It’s worth the double check.

I don’t think transporting on an exterior rack and removing the battery during transport is a good idea. The battery compartment could get flooded in the rain.

Anyone else have any thoughts in this?

In the owners manual (p 19, section 8.4.2) it says to..”press down on the battery near the power button until it clicks and engages with the lock.”

You have to make sure it clicks into place but you also must check it by trying to pull up on the pack. It’s worth the double check.

I don’t think transporting on an exterior rack and removing the battery during transport is a good idea. The battery compartment could get flooded in the rain.

Correction. The statement above is from the Users Manual. The red Owners Manual did not mention removing battery for transport that I could find. I have not loaded and read the owners manual CD. Perhaps there is more detailed information available on it.

I use velcro ribbon and a small waterproof backpack cover-- takes less than a minute to waterproof the opening. I don't think you will find any e-bike or bike rack manufacturer recommending leaving the battery in while transporting. Public transport buses are the same, here, in towns where they even allow e-bikes (ie, can put on the bus rack, but must remove the battery).

Last edited:
The back pack cover sounds like a clever solution. Where did you get it?
Good camping / sport stores have them in different sizes, not very expensive and completely waterproof. Velcro ribbon at the hardware store, about $10 for 20 feet, and handy for many things.

Its interesting when we picked up my wifes Vado 4 my lbs told me not to remove the battery on the rack. The battery was half out by the time we got home! My Vado 3 (2017) clicks into place no problem but the new versions need the thump after the first click to set it place. I thought we could interchange the batteries but there is a new locking system in the new series of bikes and the older batteries need modification to fit.

To clarify issues of handling batteries in the Como series I called Specialized Tech support today with several questions.

1. When transporting bikes in an exterior rack should you remove the battery?
No. The battery should be installed when transporting. Seat the battery with a double click. Exposing the battery compartment to the elements is not recommended.

2. Can you ride/transport your bike in the rain?

Short answer - no. Specialized will not warranty damage from water intrusion. If you encounter rain while riding seek a covered area. If you encounter rain while transporting bikes I’m not sure what you're supposed to do. The tech guy I spoke to suggested wrapping battery compartment in Saran or stretch rap. There are after market covers made of stretchy neoprene and Velcro. Specialized does not make waterproof covers nor do they intend to.

So there you go. Transport bike with battery but stay out of the rain. And be sure and check that the battery is firmly seated. The plastic wrap or water resistant cover could double as another level of securing the battery.

I read somewhere that the Specialized ebikes were engineered to some higher standard for water and moisture intrusion. Having to wrap up the battery compartment seems kind of dainty operating realities for an urban bike.

I am new to the ebike world. What do more experienced ebike riders and users have to contribute on these topics. Thanking you for any informed responses in advance.

To clarify issues of handling batteries in the Como series I called Specialized Tech support today with several questions.

No. The battery should be installed when transporting. Seat the battery with a double click. Exposing the battery compartment to the elements is not recommended.

Short answer - no. Specialized will not warranty damage from water intrusion. If you encounter rain while riding seek a covered area. If you encounter rain while transporting bikes I’m not sure what you're supposed to do. The tech guy I spoke to suggested wrapping battery compartment in Saran or stretch rap. There are after market covers made of stretchy neoprene and Velcro. Specialized does not make waterproof covers nor do they intend to.

So there you go. Transport bike with battery but stay out of the rain. And be sure and check that the battery is firmly seated. The plastic wrap or water resistant cover could double as another level of securing the battery.

I read somewhere that the Specialized ebikes were engineered to some higher standard for water and moisture intrusion. Having to wrap up the battery compartment seems kind of dainty operating realities for an urban bike.

I am new to the ebike world. What do more experienced ebike riders and users have to contribute on these topics. Thanking you for any informed responses in advance.
How odd. Their official website under Q & A says to remove the battery-- and every car e-bike rack I've seen says the same. Also, they brag about their fenders being so great in the rain! Makes no sense. I'd like to know whom you were chatting with-- and maybe ask to go higher up. The idea that this expensive bike should never be ridden in the rain is absurd.

How odd. Their official website under Q & A says to remove the battery-- and every car e-bike rack I've seen says the same. Also, they brag about their fenders being so great in the rain! Makes no sense. I'd like to know whom you were chatting with-- and maybe ask to go higher up. The idea that this expensive bike should never be ridden in the rain is absurd.

I agree. I was connected to customer support and spoke with someone in that group. I’m now more unclear on the whole issue.

Tomorrow I’ll call the LBS where we bought the bikes and get their input. When we left they loaded the bikes on the rack (with batteries) and drove 90 minutes back home. No mention of removing batteries.

Fenders add another consideration. No fenders on our bikes.

I have been riding my Vado in the rain for two years no issues except for the original display. That was my first question when I purchased the bike.

I have been riding my Vado in the rain for two years no issues except for the original display. That was my first question when I purchased the bike.

Very good to know real world situation. Do you have fenders on your bike? I am thinking about a specialized rear rack that would deflect some water from rear tire thus leaving a front fender install.

Back