Be smart, be safe

Crazyworld

So, riding home late on Saturday night on the RCS. Going down a two lane road with no bike lane. Car passed me and I must have overcorrected (soft shoulder) next thing I knew was a lady talking to me, asking if I needed an ambulance. Did not think I did, was only three blocks from my house. Have only scrapes everywhere and a good headache. Made it home. Now I'm upset with myself because I was not wearing my biking gloves and my full face helmet. Glad I was wearing my old helmet, still can't remember the trip home so I know I had/have a concussion. These ebikes are great fun, but with power needs great respect. Please be safe out there. Look how the helmets foam is smaller on one side. Time for a new helmet and to take it slower.
20180529_202429.jpg
20180529_202443.jpg

YIKES.

I'm glad you had something on your head!

I'm am planning on keeping the bike in class 2 configuration so 20mph, and am still trying to find a Pedelectric designed helmet rather than full face. I saw ABUS has one but haven't found it locally.

I had been thinking gloves were for cold and comfort - didn't think about hand protection.

Take it easy okay.

"And let's be careful out there".

Two guys I know, both over 60 at the time, told me about waking up on the side of the road in the middle of a bike ride down a country road, never knowing what happened. One had a broken collar bone. He never rode again.

Mirrors for me now. Flashers at night. And this is for a sooper safe bike path, although two deer jumped in front of me last night. Meanwhile, the bugs see that flashing LED and wait in huge clouds for possible romance only to be literally crushed.

Take care. Crazyworld. And you are right to replace the helmet. Single use!

Thank you all, I knew better to wear all my safety items. It was that whole thing like "it will never happen to me", "I know how to ride..." now two crashes later. Well that is why it is called an accident. I did try this helmet out first, was too small for my big head First Helmet
61VRxJCD+FL._SL1000_.jpg

This is my normal helmet, New Helmet
714Akxr4gUL._SL1000_.jpg
Old Bell helmet saved some brain cells for sure, but face now has some road rash, hands and knees. I guess my new saying is "Ride smarter not harder"

I always ride with lights on for safety, I also have 2 lights on both front and back, (always have a backup;)). Rear light is always flashing. Aftermarket front is flashing unless I need it to help see the road.
You were definitely fortunate to be wearing your helmet, it was likely the difference between a minor concussion and a serious head injury. I appreciate the full face helmet posts, now I have to do a little research to see if I can find one inexpensive and well ventilated.

Crazy world , we never asked - how did the bike hold up? Hope your on the mend now..haven't seen you posting much.
Think this bike is a tank, lol. The handle bars are dirty, my little speaker is turned on the bars, brakes have scrapes on fluid lid, one scrape on the Brook saddle, worst was the driver side pannier has a few holes. I will have to straighten the handlebar, they are a few degrees off. Have not rode to see how everything is working. Just taking it slow. Feel much better.

I always ride with lights on for safety, I also have 2 lights on both front and back, (always have a backup;)). Rear light is always flashing. Aftermarket front is flashing unless I need it to help see the road.
You were definitely fortunate to be wearing your helmet, it was likely the difference between a minor concussion and a serious head injury. I appreciate the full face helmet posts, now I have to do a little research to see if I can find one inexpensive and well ventilated.
On the full helmet I have now has three vents. I did remove the clear visor for better air flow. This helmet also has a drop down sun visor. For eye glasses I have these
61QaSHLIBiL._SL1002_.jpg

Those look like Wiley X safety glasses. I wanted a pair of Rx sunglasses that I could wear while riding but wasn't willing to shell out over $500 for Maui Jim or Oakley. On top of that, I need Progressive lenses so I could read my cyclometer at a glance. The optician showed me the Wiley X and the price was right. My teenage daughter calls them Willy Wonka glasses, but I love them. They're lightweight and stay put.

Back