BBSHD firmware

Maximus Steel

Region
USA
Hello, I installed an Eggrider v2 display to put on my BBSHD bike. Before attempting any programming, I wanted to ensure both the motor and the display were at their latest firmware versions. The Eggrider looks straighforward enough, but I am having trouble finding any sort of repository of BBSHD firmware versions. I have come across some firmware walkthroughs with links to files around the internet, but I often have no way of knowing how old they are. I want to get ahold of the latest firmware bin files as well as the latest flashing programs.

Where is a reliable place to I download these items? If it makes any difference, I purchased the Eggrider from Luna, and the BBSHD from Empowered ... Both are new.

There is no such thing. Bafang does not publish any version info, and there is no way to flash/update the firmware in any event. Bafang does not support any alteration of its default settings and everything out there that lets you get at them is 3rd party and unsupported by the manufacturer. In fact the manufacturer is trying to close this avenue down entirely thru the use of CAN bus controllers, to varying degrees of success. The Ultra motors are pretty much locked up tight. The BBSHD's successor - the M625 - is possibly receiving so much bad press Bafang may be keeping the HD production lines open. Its too soon to tell.

By the way... the interface settings you will be able to alter with the Eggrider will work on any BBSHD. While it is known that Bafang does alter the underlying firmware (seemingly on a random basis) those changes never affect the Eggrider/Luna Black Box etc. etc. from being able to adjust any of the parameters. I take a photo of my settings before I fool with anything, with the idea being that if I manage to brick the motor somehow I can go back to Square 1.

There are lots of walkthroughs all over the internet about flashing firmwares though ...?
Unfortunately you are confusing changing the settings in the interface with a firmware revision. There is a whole layer of performance and behavior that end users have no access to and it has caused all manner of mischief over the years as Bafang has done some naughty things that really screwed people up. Stuff like limiting the output of the drive so it won't reach 30a anymore despite setting it to that. Or have PAS force-override the throttle if you engage the pedals which causes the throttle to cut to zero (that one was a nightmare for like a year before Bafang finally made it go away). I think for awhile they limited the voltage the motor would accept to break the use of 52v packs in favor of 48v. This is why Luna did the v2 Ludicrous controller that is based on VESC... so you really could dig in and control everything and nothing is black-boxed. Sadly they are very limited in their distribution of these.

THIS is what you can fool around with. Yes you are 'flashing firmware' but its high level stuff. There is no way to dig down and update the firmware version put there by the factory.

Last edited:
There are lots of walkthroughs all over the internet about flashing firmwares though ...?
Flashing to correct Bafang dumbing down firmware. What do you need to fix? If it’s not broken why change firmware?

Unfortunately you are confusing changing the settings in the interface with a firmware revision.
I was not confusing the two different things. I just wanted to make sure there weren't going to be weird incompatibities because of some old firmware version. I guess I am worrying too much about it though. I had assumed that bafang released regular updates like the bios on a computer ... I have been playing with settings today and all seems to work fine. I did run a firmware update on the eggrider.

Guaranteed Matt sold you a motor with the latest firmware. Don’t second guess a world class reseller.
Yep. That's what he told me. He did set the motor to a 20 amp limit, I guess he doesn't want newbies (me!) frying their motors or breaking things right off the bat ...

He did set the motor to a 20 amp limit
25A? 25A was his typical setting. That's NOT in firmware. Basic programming!
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.47.06 AM.png

Bafang DID send out a load of BBSHD motors that threw 07 overvolt errors when users tried to run their 52V(58.8V) batteries. We think they decided that based on some controller component limits.

Much of the firmware you're reading about was provided by Bafang when customers, mainly resellers complained about firmware changes. The current motors should have no need to reflash.

While still doing support I had firmware I'd gotten from Bafang posted anonymously, worried I'd have a backlash from Bafang. However, I gave up my support role for a reseller after 7 years of phone and email support for all things BBSxx. My opinions and reviews are no longer clouded by my support role.

That said, the BBSHD is one of the best choices for cargo bikes and pedicabs. Overkill for a flatlander like me, but VERY reliable. Easy to work on and repair as well as a very good parts stream. Hopefully, Bafang doesn't F it up!

Back