BBSHD Controller Burnt Out?

wozwasted

I recently purchased a new Controller for a BBSHD Motor and a few weeks later it stopped working,
It didn't display any errors. both the throttle and PAS did not work at all.
I returned the controller to the shop I purchased it from and they would not exchange it under warranty, they said the Controller had 'burnt out' and that they did not cover that.
I need to know is there any way of finding that the controller was 'burnt out' , instead of being a 'faulty controller?
As the pictures show there are no signs of overheating, infact the controller still looks new.

Controller Images.jpg

Unless you are running it at 50 or 60 amps, I find it unlikely you burned out the controller. I've had my BBSHD shut down and not start up in the past. When it did start, it would randomly shutdown. For me, this happened when I was using PAS and throttle to tow my trailer. I read that BBSHDs are known to have problems when you run the throttle with PAS at the same time. I also though my controller was fried and was going to order a new one. I waited a few days with the battery disconnected, then started it up without the throttle connected and everything seemed to be working again.

A few days after I felt everything was working, I put back the throttle and everything seems to be back to normal. Now I try not to pedal and use throttle at the same time.

Last edited:
well I was running at 30amps, Im sure the shop just scammed me into buying another controller.
I need to know what visual signs are present when a contrtoller is burnt out,
The shop is saying it isn't covered when its burnt out

I don't know how they came to this conclusion

Last edited:
Not implying that the shop is correct, but you did have 2 controllers fail within weeks. And since abuse is the most common reason, therein lies the problem. If you are not pushing it past 30a, are you sure that you don't have a loose connection?
The question on how they knew it was burnt is what you should have asked them. What test did they perform?
If you had the feeling that they were scamming you, then you probably should have looked for a replacement elsewhere.
As far as testing these.. I can't help. But most electronics will show signs of overheating and have a smell of burnt plastic if they fail from overload.

So the display comes up with no error codes? If there was a controller problem, you would have gotten error 12

Unplug the brake connectors, pas, and throttle. Then just connect the display + throttle only w/o brake connectors attached.

Make sure that works and that in case the brake connector preventing the motor from running.

Do you have other displays you can try?

I already tried that, I also tried it without the throttle and the Peddal Assist wouldn't work either,
The display lights up as normal

Not implying that the shop is correct, but you did have 2 controllers fail within weeks. And since abuse is the most common reason, therein lies the problem. If you are not pushing it past 30a, are you sure that you don't have a loose connection?
The question on how they knew it was burnt is what you should have asked them. What test did they perform?
If you had the feeling that they were scamming you, then you probably should have looked for a replacement elsewhere.
As far as testing these.. I can't help. But most electronics will show signs of overheating and have a smell of burnt plastic if they fail from overload.

I didn't actually go through 2 controllers in a few weeks. The first time I was given the wrong controller, I ordered a 48v controller and they gave me a 52v controller, that is why It always showed the battery as being flat.
Also I didn't think I was being scammed until I arrived home and replaced the controllers.
Thats when I saw the first controller still looked new

Last edited:
hmmmm.....
Not knowing how to test all the components of a controller, I'm not sure what you can do. Even if it is the MOSFETs, I don't know how you can prove the cause for the failure.
If you believe it to be defective, you can ask the shop again how they determined the cause of failure.
If they can't provide a reasonable explanation, and you paid by credit card it may be possible to dispute the charge.

hmmmm.....
Not knowing how to test all the components of a controller, I'm not sure what you can do. Even if it is the MOSFETs, I don't know how you can prove the cause for the failure.
If you believe it to be defective, you can ask the shop again how they determined the cause of failure.
If they can't provide a reasonable explanation, and you paid by credit card it may be possible to dispute the charge.
The problem was the controller because I did swap the over and the bike is running again.
Now I have to try to get a refund on the second controller I purchased

When most electronics burn up, they smell. If you can't smell anything when you put it up to your nose. Good chance it's not burnt. But not 100%

Back