BBS02 750w dissapointingly unreliable

Your drive was made April 15, 2016 which means it has the higher quality MOSFET's. Doesn't mean the controller can't fail, but your controller is the latest model capable of handling a lot more abuse. Hopefully the battery will arrive soon and fix the issue or narrow the focus of where to look.

Court J.

Well
The number underneath is encoded to tell us the date the motor was made. That would allow us to know what version controller it has. If it's an older model controller that might be an issue. The newer controller has MOSFETs that handle more amperage, less prone to problems.

Court J.
It's an updated 3077 but is it the latest version BBS02? There are two version of the updated MOSFET as of sometime in April. Luna nor any of the resellers have published a clear date when the BBS02 was updated with the BBSHD style controller. BUT, Either version should be fine. BUT the pedicabs BBSxx users are moving towards the BBSHD. The 02 will be fine from Sally's description of how she shifts.

Well.. I sure would like this stinkin' problem to be over before the snow flies here in Utah. I wanted to have a month or two of fun riding... but I don't really cherish the idea of taking it far without the assist working properly.

Anyway... new battery isn't here.. so I had Mr Sally call the dude that distributes these motors - who said he was sending a battery. Come to find out that he sent my battery to someone else and a new motor to me. Mix up. Swell.

So annoyed.

I don't think I have a motor issue.

Its been a long day workin'... I still have some computer work to do for my biz... so I'm gonna take my bike out for a 3 mile round trip to a coffee shop... we'll see how she behaves.

Thanks for the help. Stay tuned. :)

There are many many satisfied BBS02 and BBSHD users out there (including yours truly). The ones you tend to read about on these forums are the few that are having problems.

I'm baaack... :)

Well... after being here in this forum last fall...

It wound up being a motor issue as far as the motor cutting out. Put the new one on, and all was good.

UNTIL... my lithium battery "went nuclear" in my garage a few weeks ago and we have a total loss for everything that was in the garage as well as about $5,000 worth of damage to the garage itself.

photo.php

The battery company has been totally horrible.. they are taking no responsibility.

I'm in the process of buying the components for the new replacement bike... I'm still entertaining putting another bafang on it. Once we got it workin' on the previous bike, it was really nice. :)

I'm baaack... :)

Well... after being here in this forum last fall...

It wound up being a motor issue as far as the motor cutting out. Put the new one on, and all was good.

UNTIL... my lithium battery "went nuclear" in my garage a few weeks ago and we have a total loss for everything that was in the garage as well as about $5,000 worth of damage to the garage itself.

photo.php

The battery company has been totally horrible.. they are taking no responsibility.

I'm in the process of buying the components for the new replacement bike... I'm still entertaining putting another bafang on it. Once we got it workin' on the previous bike, it was really nice. :)
Battery made by?

Ouch! Any other details? What kind of batteries? Just after a ride? On the charger? What sort of charger? How long was it on the charger, if it was charging?
Thanks! Information is helpful!

Sad, that was a nice rig!

48v battery was on the charger. The bike, charger and battery were all taken as evidence by the insurance company. I'll know more down the road.

Hi Sally, That's awful about the fire! Sure hope you get your garage and all the stuff you lost sorted out. I have stored my two batteries that don't have hard cases in a steel ammo box. Now I'm going to plan on storing all of my batteries outside.

Then again, it's probably the simple stuff you never worry about, like the lithium ion ebay headlight battery I bought for $6 last winter. Never used it til last week and I found it was dead and wouldn't take a charge.

So I opened it up. Two cells were fake. On the other two, one was dead and the second was overcharged. There were no protective circuits present. If the dead cell had worked, it might well have caused the overcharged one to catch on fire.

Now my head light cells are in a box too.

It's just awful, I'm so happy it wasn't worse. Charing is perhaps one of the most dangerous times. A reason my chargers are always on a timer and only used when I am monitoring. Fanless chargers I find especially nerve wracking, except for my North American certified Ataiator from Canada. Chinese chargers scare me. I have several for backups but always use the utmost caution. I ALWAYS also avoid charging with the entire system in place, in other words with battery plugged into the bike and controller. There are some very nice, not to badly priced, under $400, fire cabinets. They are vented, and important consideration, in mu opinion. I don't want to create a small bomb with a tightly closed box. Better I think to have some venting. This is a good discussion to have!
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 2.05.49 PM.png

Rechargeable Power Energy from Las Vegas. aka: RPE
More specifics on the battery! Type? BMS? Was the BMS charge circuit fuse protected? Was it fully charged, empty, some where in between? Actively charging? Just after a ride?

More specifics on the battery! Type? BMS? Was the BMS charge circuit fuse protected? Was it fully charged, empty, some where in between? Actively charging? Just after a ride?
Likely not question Sally can answer. But I do know the supplier and they only sell BMS protected batteries. So many things can happen when charging on a bike. Sad very sad indeed. I suspect her insurance will have a hard look. She mentioned she had no more information since hey have it all!

BTW For those interested HomeDepot has the best price on a smaller flammable cabinet. On sale today for $304, after today $338, by far the best price out there! IF a store pickup.

Back