Battery securing strap

teskow

IMG_1581.JPG

Here is a picture of how I secured the battery on my RipCurrent.
The strap is a 2" wide Velcro with a wide wood wedge on top between the strap and battery to tighten it securely. If you look closely you can see the wedge.
There is no way to tighten the strap without the wedge.
I ride on very rough terrain with no battery disconnects whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 530
I used a longer strap with a buckle end and wrapped it three times around the battery, it's very tight and holds the 17ah battery on my ocean current quite well, after cleaning the socket and pins of the connecter back in April haven't had any problems since.

You must have lived on a farm. No wait, bailing wire would have been your chose if you were. Unfortunate that you have to Rube Goldberg the battery to make it work. I'd call that poor engineering at Juiced. Or engineering wherever it's made!

I found over the years with different bikes that if the battery can move a bit then thats enough to cause arcing in the battery contacts, with the battery on my bike the amount of movement was very slight and because there is no suspension everything vibrates on the bike with every ripple in the road.

I am not a fan of the two pin connector used on these batteries, I was almost at the point of simply bypassing it with a cable with either xt60 or Anderson connectors, but so far the two pin connector is remaining clean, I rarely take the battery off since the bike goes in the house to get charged.

You must have lived on a farm. No wait, bailing wire would have been your chose if you were. Unfortunate that you have to Rube Goldberg the battery to make it work. I'd call that poor engineering at Juiced. Or engineering wherever it's made!
It is poor engineering based on the performance of other solutions, and their solution is less user friendly than my simple DJ drop it in. Easy to install, easy to remove, super reliable. All good things that don't apply to the Juiced batteries. Not to mention the key only secures the battery and does not actually energize the system like many other systems. We'll have to live with it though.

I bought a Kwik Bandit style strap to secure my battery, even though mine is supposed to have all the issues fixed, but in general it is a poor design and wear and tear will loosen the locking mechanism up over time, so putting the strap on before there is an issue will prevent excessive wear and hopefully keep things operating. I tend to do a lot of off bike charging, but I will probably change that with the RipCurrent and charge more on-bike. I may have to use a not-so-little battery bank for charging sometimes as power is not easily accessible in my normal summer storage area.

Last edited:
I agree the connecter design could have been better. It is what it is and I have it so will make the best of it. I didn't have any problems with my battery loosing contact but as a safety measure I secured it with a strap.
It may have been a joke regarding the bailing wire but for safety it works. Critical parts on all airplanes are safety wire to make them secure.
"A stitch in time saves nine"

Yep, I use a shark battery on the other bike, it fits to a plastic holder mounted on the bottle cage bolts on the downtube, I even fitted an extra rivnut and bolt to hold it, being not particularly trusting of plastic I wrapped a long Velcro strap four times around the battery and downtube.

View attachment 42845

Here is a picture of how I secured the battery on my RipCurrent.
The strap is a 2" wide Velcro with a wide wood wedge on top between the strap and battery to tighten it securely. If you look closely you can see the wedge.
There is no way to tighten the strap without the wedge.
I ride on very rough terrain with no battery disconnects whatsoever.
Always use a strap also, and never had a problem.

I too have used a strap and after 1000+ miles, no problems. I do however like the idea of a wedge. That way you can apply additional force to make an even tighter mounting.

Back