Battery problems anyone?

Louky

We just got my wife a Rad Step-Thru. On a full charged battery, she rode about three miles to the pool and locked it up. She came back about two hours later and it wouldn't turn on, so she rode home under her own power. I plugged the battery back in and it charged up within a half hour. I put it back on the bike and it still wouldn't work. I tried it on my Wagon, and it wouldn't work on that one either. I put the battery from my Wagon on her Step-Thru and it worked fine.

After answering several questions, trying things and sending several photos to Rad, they are sending out a new battery. Has anyone else had this problem? It was a 90 degree day and sunny. Should we cover the batteries when locking them up, or was this a isolated incident?

Sounds like you just got a dud battery. It happens, and I bet the new one will solve the problem for good. Yes heat is an enemy of batteries, but 90 degrees is not to hot to ride. I know as I live in Texas :)

Having said all that, I believe in keeping and charging my batteries in the house. Do the same for my battery powered lawn mower.

Every person who buys an eBike on line needs to also buy a multimeter. Then you can check the battery and charger. Facts like it charged up in a 1/2 hour doesn't help. We don't know what voltage you started with, and what voltage the charger brought the battery up to. These batteries work very well at 90 degrees. That is not the problem! You still may have a charger issue, did you try charging the battery with the Wagon charger?

Every person who buys an eBike on line needs to also buy a multimeter. Then you can check the battery and charger. Facts like it charged up in a 1/2 hour doesn't help. We don't know what voltage you started with, and what voltage the charger brought the battery up to. These batteries work very well at 90 degrees. That is not the problem! You still may have a charger issue, did you try charging the battery with the Wagon charger?

I haven’t, but will. The battery has its own LED gauge. That was the first thing Rad had me check. It read full charge. I hooked my multi meter to the contacts and didn’t get a reading. I also changed both fuses, even though they both looked fine. Looks like I just got a bad battery. Like a broken link between the batteries and where it connects to the bike.

I haven’t, but will. The battery has its own LED gauge. That was the first thing Rad had me check. It read full charge. I hooked my multi meter to the contacts and didn’t get a reading. I also changed both fuses, even though they both looked fine. Looks like I just got a bad battery. Like a broken link between the batteries and where it connects to the bike.
Did you check the output of the charger?

Did you check the output of the charger?
No I didn't. I will do that also, but the LED lights on the battery read that it is fully charged. That was the test that Rad asked for. The light status while on and off charge.

I hooked my multi meter to the contacts and didn’t get a reading.
3 possibilities:
1) Completely dead, like in shorted dead, battery (or lost contact inside the battery before the exterior terminals)
2) User error when working with multimeter
3) Bad multimeter.

Battery LED gauge is about as useful as Christmas lights. Phone rep made you check the LEDs, alright, this is in his little booklet, he is doing his job, what else is new :).

Just following up on this thread. I did get the new battery from Rad. It was covered under warranty, just had to wait longer for it than I wanted. The new battery works just fine. Haven't had any problems, even after being parked in the sun. I guess like Figs said, it was just a dud battery. Thanks again for all the replies.

Anyone use the Luna Cycle Advanced Charger with the adapter for their RadRover battery? I'm not having any issues, but if I decide to get a spare charger or upgrade this one I'm not sure I want another OEM charger with the plastic casing.

Glad you got your battery warranty covered :); @Louky. Thanks for sharing that the new battery solved the issue so no one else has to panic. There are occasional bad batteries out of the box; however, that is Not the Norm. So everyone who's considering the bike also look at the facts that the manufacturer handled this warranty issue that had a positive result.

Would definitely recommend that you not park your ebikes with batteries onboard in the direct sun. That is a recipe for shorter battery life in our excessively hot, humid Texas summers. Remove the batteries from your two ebikes when you can at a break spot where you can keep them cooler & possibly top them off since most coffee shops have

Anyone use the Luna Cycle Advanced Charger with the adapter for their RadRover battery? I'm not having any issues, but if I decide to get a spare charger or upgrade this one I'm not sure I want another OEM charger with the plastic casing.
I see no advantage to aluminum cases. I have 4 plastic bodied chargers that have lasted 5 times longer than those others. Some resellers, nothing against Luna, consider their source among the flakiest. But as usual ymmv.

I do have the luna smart charger for my rad rover- and some other bikes, have 2 adapters

I can set it to different percentages and charging amps, it was around 100 and worth every penny to me, i love it

I do have the luna smart charger for my rad rover- and some other bikes, have 2 adapters

I can set it to different percentages and charging amps, it was around 100 and worth every penny to me, i love it
Yup! For a single voltage user, with a charger that has no issues, it’s a nice unit. Very good to read you are happy. It’s all about the end user.

Ride it like you stole it,,
Tom

We just got my wife a Rad Step-Thru. On a full charged battery, she rode about three miles to the pool and locked it up. She came back about two hours later and it wouldn't turn on, so she rode home under her own power. I plugged the battery back in and it charged up within a half hour. I put it back on the bike and it still wouldn't work. I tried it on my Wagon, and it wouldn't work on that one either. I put the battery from my Wagon on her Step-Thru and it worked fine.

After answering several questions, trying things and sending several photos to Rad, they are sending out a new battery. Has anyone else had this problem? It was a 90 degree day and sunny. Should we cover the batteries when locking them up, or was this a isolated incident?
I have a different style bike and different battery but am currently experiencing the exact same issue. Went for a ride, shut it off, two hours later went to turn it on and nothing. Disconnected the display and came to life. If I disconnect the battery or the display it automatically turns on but won't from the switch. The company needs me to verify the battery also and test the voltages? Hoping for the same outcome as you!

Back