Battery life

E Bike Chick

Region
USA
So just got back from a group tour riding my new Liv Rove E+...first long ride of the weekend and 37 miles in my battery dies. Fully charged, tires properly inflated with about 1700 ft of climb behind me...I kept it in Smart Assist mode the entire time figuring it would adjust the assist level as needed and perhaps conserve battery life and I thought I was correctly gearing for the terrain. Totally expected to complete the 45 miles ride without relying on the sag wagon but unfortunately didn’t make it. The next day I rode a flatter 35 miles and barely used 1/2 of the fully charged battery. What could I have done differently so I could have finished the entire 45 miles...should I have not relied on Smart Assist? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I’m second guessing my decision to purchase this particular bike. Thank you!

should I have not relied on Smart Assist?
You should not. Smart Assist has been a disgrace (at least for me). It provides too much of assist and typically you are left without juice when you don't expect it (my own experience, twice).

The first point is the 400 Wh battery is small as for today's standards, and the range you described is perfectly normal for that battery size. The thing you could do to extend the range is installing Giant RideControl app on your smartphone, connecting to your Rove E+ and tuning the assistance levels. For Eco mode, you can set 50 or 75 or 100% assistance.

You'll need to use as little of assistance as only necessary for long rides with the 400 Wh battery. Also, bear in mind the last 20% of the battery can disappear in very few miles!

P.S. Slow riding is the other method of conserving the battery charge.

I am not familiar with your bike (a beauty from the pictures!) and I am interested in battery life so I looked it up. They rate the battery at 34 miles (extreme), 65 miles (good), and 93 miles (ideal. From this, it sounds like your ride was extreme in their books. I can't comment on the Smart Assist feature you mentioned.
I have found a lot of variation in how fast my battery discharges during a ride and I have been exploring how to optimize battery life. I hate the thought of a second battery.

They rate the battery at 34 miles (extreme), 65 miles (good), and 93 miles (ideal.
They are lying.

I have owned a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with 500 Wh battery. On July 20th, 2020, I went on a ride in Smart Assist mode, on the flat. The battery was good for 54 km (33.5 mi), and I had to return on the leg power for 9 km more. Chick has only a 400 Wh battery but probably better stronger legs than I do.

1627532048282.png

See how irritated I was post-ride. 9 km on own leg power in a torrential rain and lost in a forest!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for graciously sharing your thoughts and experiences. After reading them I am bummed and now realize I should have done even more research than I did prior to purchasing my bike. Before I totally give up on longer, hillier rides I will take the advice shared here and experiment with lower levels of assist and not relying on Smart Assist. I really love this bike otherwise because riding it provides such a natural, true cycling experience (except when pushing it uphill after the battery conks out 🥴)

I have a 840 wh battery. I ride >80 hills, but about 200' climb overall in 30 miles. I average 9 mph and I pedal unpowered about 70% of the distance.
With an ebikeling 1300 w motor I would red light and the controller cut out on 3rd from last hill.
With replacement Mac12t motor I use about half the battery, from 53 v to 47 v.
So getting even 30 miles and 1700' climb out of a 400 wh battery is heavy use IMHO. Even if it is a mid-drive.

So just got back from a group tour riding my new Liv Rove E+...first long ride of the weekend and 37 miles in my battery dies. Fully charged, tires properly inflated with about 1700 ft of climb behind me...I kept it in Smart Assist mode the entire time figuring it would adjust the assist level as needed and perhaps conserve battery life and I thought I was correctly gearing for the terrain. Totally expected to complete the 45 miles ride without relying on the sag wagon but unfortunately didn’t make it. The next day I rode a flatter 35 miles and barely used 1/2 of the fully charged battery. What could I have done differently so I could have finished the entire 45 miles...should I have not relied on Smart Assist? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I’m second guessing my decision to purchase this particular bike. Thank you!
Pedal more using lower gear, higher cadence? I initially got 7 mi. to a charge bar. Lately I´ve gotten
as much a 12 mi. without losing a single bar. The stronger & more skillful you get at using gears &
terrain, the more range you will have. My display shows the amount of juice I´m using. More & more
it reads little or no juice in use as I add more effort to the ride. You will soon have legs of steel.

Pedal more using lower gear, higher cadence? I initially got 7 mi. to a charge bar. Lately I´ve gotten
as much a 12 mi. without losing a single bar. The stronger & more skillful you get at using gears &
terrain, the more range you will have. My display shows the amount of juice I´m using. More & more
it reads little or no juice in use as I add more effort to the ride. You will soon have legs of steel.
Good point…I realize now that I may need to gear down a bit…thanks for the tip!

They are lying.

I have owned a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with 500 Wh battery. On July 20th, 2020, I went on a ride in Smart Assist mode, on the flat. The battery was good for 54 km (33.5 mi), and I had to return on the leg power for 9 km more. Chick has only a 400 Wh battery but probably better stronger legs than I do.

View attachment 94750
See how irritated I was post-ride. 9 km on own leg power in a torrential rain and lost in a forest!
On behalf of the viewing public, Stephan, perhaps you should wear long pants..:eek:

On behalf of the viewing public, Stephan, perhaps you should wear long pants..:eek:
My Vika+ only shows charge in 20% bars so harder to incrementally change riding style and note the effects on battery life. However, going from pedal assist 3 to 2 seems to make a high difference on the same ride. I would like a finer gradation or better yet, an actual readout of the battery voltage.

They are lying.

View attachment 94750
Don´t feel bad; my legs are worse. My shins are nothing but scar tissue from pedal strikes. At 17 they were
heavily muscled & beautiful, but that was a very long time ago.

Last edited:
Back