battery keeps shutting down

Rob Page

I bought a Dillenger 350w kit a little over a year ago and installed it on a Sun cruiser. It was heaven for exactly a year and one week when suddenly the battery started shutting off while riding up any incline in PAS 5. Then it started happening in PAS 4. Then it started happening in PAS 3 just riding on a flat road. Now it only works in PAS 2, shuts down a couple times per 20 minute ride and frequently shuts down when I hit a small bump in the road. I reached out to Dillenger and they said I need to buy a new battery. But it's holding a charge fine. Seems more like some little safety thing-y in the battery (or maybe motor) is tripping it off? Dillenger suggested I get someone in my area to service it if I don't want to just replace it outright but I can't find anyone...and I live in Los Angeles! Anyone run into this or have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sure sounds like a weak cell, or maybe a bad connection to a group of cells if a bump shuts down the battery, although the latter could be a bad connection in your kit. A weak cell will let the battery show a full charge, but it won't pass much current.

An e-bike shop might swap your battery onto anther bike and confirm it shuts down. Don't expect anyone to even consider fixing it for money. The darn cells are usually glued together and connected with spot welds. It's too labor intensive and introduces potential liability issues.

One of the more bigger online sellers of batteries, motors, and now complete e-bikes is Luna cycle in Gardena, CA. They appear to have a shop there. I dunno if they would even look at your bike, but they might look at it long enough to tell you what battery it can use. If they have it in stock, the price is probably competitive.

So I ended up just buying the replacement battery from Dillenger. Works fine now...hopefully for longer than 1 week past the warrantee like the last one.

So I ended up just buying the replacement battery from Dillenger. Works fine now...hopefully for longer than 1 week past the warrantee like the last one.
Did you ask them to cover it under warranty? Some companies don't mind bending the rules a little, especially if it's only a week. Pedego HQ was happy to replace a motor for a customer of ours who was a week out of warranty.

Back