Battery dead because charged with 4A instead 2A charger?

Some connectors have 3 pins but only use two. ST3
This is true.
XLR connectors mainly used for audio connections have been used for years as charge connectors as well as they can handle the low current and are a quality connection. The 3rd pin is utilized in charging things such as golf carts as a safety device (lock out) to prevent anyone from driving it away while charging...though I haven't seen that safety feature utilized with ebikes.
And though you might be able to get away with 3 pins for communication by doubling up on the Negative wire... Much better practice is 2 separate wires for communication, hence 4 pins or more.

Three pins is passive communication. Tells people not to mess with it, even though 99% of the time, it's a dummy pin. It is in the XLR.

One exception is, if my memory hasn't failed again, is the Stomer 3 pin charger. Someone grafted a Stromer plug onto an expensive charger (Satiator?) using only the +/- and it wouldn't charge the bike. Per pictures posted in a thread here, the third pin appeared to have a resistor between it and the negative. Maybe Tom J. remembers.

And I think it's a connector issue. I have a bunch of adapter cables I made to allow my various chargers with 5.5mm plugs to use XLR plugs, or XT60 and XT90 connectors. With my tiny 3A charger. I note my 5.5 connector mounted on a cable. which hangs in the air and doesn't have a case/cabinent to transfer heat, getting a bit hot over time.

Just wanted to let you know that I received a new 2A charger and a new battery. It works. :)
Excellent! I love happy endings.
Did you get an explanation of the failure?
Not that 4a is excessive.. But unless you have a time constraint charging slowly with a 2a Charger is a little better for the battery as it generates less heat within the pack.

An anecdote? 4A doesn’t create noticeable heat for me. I seldom use it and almost exclusively charge at 2A. Multiple batteries give my lots of charge time.

Back