Battery dead because charged with 4A instead 2A charger?

Jula

Region
Europe
Hi!

I’ve been charging my 17,5 Ah Panasonic battery with not original 4A generic charger from Amazon, instead with 2A original charger. The battery can’t be charged anymore with any charger. Nothing happens when I plug in the charger. In the last few weeks I had to plug the charger (2A or 4A) in few times so the red light indicating charging would come on. When charging started, it charged the battery fully (2A and 4A). Now nothing happens when I plug in any of the two chargers.

Is it possible that I damaged the battery charging it with more powerfull charger?

Thank you for your help.

Hi!

I’ve been charging my 17,5 Ah Panasonic battery with not original 4A generic charger from Amazon, instead with 2A original charger. The battery can’t be charged anymore with any charger. Nothing happens when I plug in the charger. In the last few weeks I had to plug the charger (2A or 4A) in few times so the red light indicating charging would come on. When charging started, it charged the battery fully (2A and 4A). Now nothing happens when I plug in any of the two chargers.

Is it possible that I damaged the battery charging it with more powerfull charger?

Thank you for your help.
Yes.. Charge circuits do have an amperage rating. Most simple BMS's may be limited to 2 or 3 amps.
Possible as @Timpo states that there can be a fuse, but again on a simple BMS I would not think so.
Your symptoms indicate a loose connection so you may want to check the charge port to the BMS if you choose to open the battery.
Be warned that this requires experience and base knowledge of electronics so you may want to contact a professional as working inside a battery pack is potentially very dangerous.

What probably happened is that the charge socket overheated running twice its rated current. Perhaps it deformed the plastic so that the pins don't make contact.

If you're not able to repair it yourself, maybe someone who fixes PC's can do it,

Most simple BMS's may be limited to 2 or 3 amps.
Every one of my BMS are 4A capable. From cheap to midrange pricing.

The posted manual.
I’d be surprised if Panasonic would use a low end BMS. They’re a sophisticated electronic manufacturer.

Attachments

• 2FD3E165-BD2A-4C09-9E04-5DABAE859F8A.png
    2FD3E165-BD2A-4C09-9E04-5DABAE859F8A.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 246
Did it have 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC connector?
As far as I know, I don't think Panasonic, Yamaha, Bosch, etc... will use these DC connector.
2A rated. I compared 6 different brands from electronic supply resellers. ALL had very low amp ratings.

The Cusmade and copies are being seen more and more.

I charge my 17.5 AH battery from Luna @ 4 amps. 3.5 years old now, no problems. ~150 charge cycles.
I built the charger myself from a 45 v transformer. I unplug it before it goes over 54.6 v.

Which generic Amazon battery charger did you use?
Did it have 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC connector?
As far as I know, I don't think Panasonic, Yamaha, Bosch, etc... will use these DC connector.

DOONJIEY 2.1x5.5mm Male to Female 12V DC Power Cable Extension Cord for  CCTV - buy DOONJIEY 2.1x5.5mm Male to Female 12V DC Power Cable Extension  Cord for CCTV in Tashkent and Uzbekistan:

I am not sure what kind of connector Panasonic has?
13330_35.jpg

It is definitely NOT one of those generic 2.1x5.5 connector, so I don't even know how you managed to connect a charger from Amazon to Panasonic battery.
The Amazon charger has the same connector as the original.

Every one of my BMS are 4A capable. From cheap to midrange pricing.

The posted manual.
I’d be surprised if Panasonic would use a low end BMS. They’re a sophisticated electronic manufacturer.
This was my guess as well.

I‘ll wait for the dealer/service to respond. Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

Every one of my BMS are 4A capable. From cheap to midrange pricing
Hence the use of the word "may" 🙃
Though I agree 4a is not very high when speaking of charging.
Not knowing what the specs were of his particular battery, I did not want to assume anything as it does have a rating limit.
Now @Jula says it's a TP-PCT 17.5Ah... So 4a is not a problem as a 4a charger is part of the system.
So back to my initial thought that there is a loose connection between the charge port and BMS....
OR
There is some communication protocol between the charger and battery that has been corrupted by the knock_off charger.

@Jula... How many pins does the charge port have? Post a photo.

I charge my 17.5 AH battery from Luna @ 4 amps. 3.5 years old now, no problems. ~150 charge cycles.
I built the charger myself from a 45 v transformer. I unplug it before it goes over 54.6 v.
Not saying that you didn't engineer your charger correctly... But not all transformers are a CC-CV output needed for charging Li_Ion batteries so if you haven't, I would double check that.
Also 45v is the incorrect voltage unless you are only charging to 45v. . .
How are you disconnecting before 54.6v?

Hence the use of the word "may" 🙃
Though I agree 4a is not very high when speaking of charging.
Not knowing what the specs were of his particular battery, I did not want to assume anything as it does have a rating limit.
Now @Jula says it's a TP-PCT 17.5Ah... So 4a is not a problem as a 4a charger is part of the system.
So back to my initial thought that there is a loose connection between the charge port and BMS....
OR
There is some communication protocol between the charger and battery that has been corrupted by the knock_off charger.

@Jula... How many pins does the charge port have? Post a photo.
The battery charging port has this connector:

Attachments

• 8AA68284-3B18-44E1-B4AD-A82343D71D34.jpeg
    8AA68284-3B18-44E1-B4AD-A82343D71D34.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 253
The battery charging port has this connector:
Well it doesn't look to have communication implemented... a bit surprising coming from a major brand.
I guess wait to see what the supplier says as this may be a known issue.

I was suprised as well, when I found out that other battery brands have three pins. Well, there are way to many details that you can miss when buying a new ebike…

I was suprised as well, when I found out that other battery brands have three pins. Well, there are way to many details that you can miss when buying a new ebike…
Some connectors have 3 pins but only use two. ST3

Well I sure hope the OP saved a bunch of money by buying a generic charger.
Honestly I don't think the charger has anything to do with his problem. He made an assumption, but from all he's described it seems to be a battery issue. Panasonic also offers a 4a charger for his battery and it's a simple 2 pin connector so his initial thinking that 4a is too much current doesn't hold true.
For charging Li_Ion batteries all you require is a CC-CV power supply set to the correct charge voltage. It's not rocket science or anything that requires $100's dollars in hardware as this tech' has been around since before Li_Ion batteries were even invented.

Back