Battery charges limited?

Beetlebomb

The Apple store told my wife the number of charges on an iPhone have a limited number. Assuming both the iPhone and Rad bikes have Lithitum Ion batteries I’m wondering how this squares with the Rad instructions to charge the battery after each use?

My understanding, number of cycles is rated as a full charge from a very low level. So 500 cycles suggested life can be 1000 if you start at 50%. The maximum battery life is widely accepted as keeping the pack between 20 and 80%. Personally I don’t want to make battery charging a part time job. A high end charger requires less personal time since you can set it at 80%. Also Radpower would love to sell you a new battery, sooner.

I have two 2016 Radrovers with +7000 miles between them and they share three 11.4ah batteries between them. I try to switch off batteries to get equal number of cycles between them. I charge 100% each time with the Rad charger. I've got caught short of power on really windy days not being fully charged and it was no fun trying to pedal a +70lbs ebike uphill in +20 mph headwind several miles. I now charge at work 100% since I always seem to have a headwind and +500 foot elevation gain to my home.

I usually keep it at PAS 3 and mph range of 15-25 mph depending incline/decline/headwinds. Getting around 22-28 miles per charge with one bar left (or blinking) seems to be my range at +270 lbs. I haven't notice any decrease in range, yet.

It might give you longer battery life with the 20%-80% rule; but, the battery might out live the ebike? Kinda like using the 20%-80% charging technique and still having the original battery in the wife's iPhone and it is an iPhone 2.

Last edited:
I think the bigger point is don't store it when totally discharged. If you leave on a ride with a fully charged battery, ride 5 miles and park it, a recharge is not necessary.....

Anyone know if boosted board charger is compatible with radpower mini 2019 battery?
The original charger seems pretty cheap and charges super slow.

Knows one can tell. Just don't fast charge them. I am into RC cars,trucks and boats . I have some batter packs that are 10+ years old. My 2 digital camera batters are 7+ years. Just keep them charged up they will go down just sitting around. That is why I like my Radcity batter are cheap but good quality. It goes fast enough for me. Being a hard tail 15mph is where I like to keep it but will go 20 to 25 mph so times. accm you want it to charge slow. You can get a faster charge but your battery will not last as long.
Old man Johnny

It's a coin toss. Sometimes we get a pack where all the cells are first quality and deliver more than expected performance. Other times we're disappointed. The disappointment comes, in my opinion, when we expect the cycles to be as described in the cell specifications. I had a customer today who claimed only 200 cycles but was at 5500 miles of use over 4 years. This being the 5th season. In many cases, I think 5500 miles on a $500 battery is an acceptable level of performance. I have 5-year-old batteries with under 1000 mile that sag worse than a fat ladies boobs. Our expectations are often unrealistic. There are so many variables. There are scores of battery builders that do not use best practices and materials in building packs. For example, many of our batteries are using nickel COATED steel connections. We also don't monitor battery temps. Specifications are the best possible performance. Real world use, not so reliable.

Back