Battery/charger question

EddieJ

This bike seem to go from bad to worse. :( Now that I finally have the new battery for the NEO Xtrem, I already have a problem. I can kill the replacement new battery dead in approximately 12 miles using eco mode, which is approximately 8 miles less than the original battery.

I also have an issue when charging said new battery. I connect the battery to the charger and then turn it on as usual to charge, the fan on the charger operates as usual and the combined red and amber light display whilst charging.

After roughly 4hrs the charger stops automatically, but where as previously with the old battery a feint red and green light would be displayed to show a full charge on the charger, all that is displayed now is a bright red light. The charger is actually supposed to display green only.
Now before I get onto BH yet again, does anyone have any thoughts about what could be going on. Clearly I don't want to risk delving into this and invalidating the warranty on either component, but it would be nice to have an indication about what could be wrong.

I've had these problems before, but after pulling the plugs on the charger from the wall then reconnecting to the outlet and then plug it into the battery it resets.

Honestly sounds to me you have a bad charger... Hard to believe a new battery has failed right after your old battery failed. And while it is charging only the amber light should be on, and it should switch to green when complete.... OR have you read the manual on charging the batteries?

Another way to troubleshoot is to measure the voltage on the battery leads before you charge, then measure it again after it's done charging... If the battery is LiMn it should read around 45v hot off the charger for a 36v system.

Last edited:
I'm dreading going back to the bike shop with it tomorrow.

BH UK have already apparently said that "if I continue to use the bike, I shall continue to break things" and I'm still fuming about this statement. The new battery had issues after just the first charge, and my ride yesterday in eco only gave 8 miles from my 20 mile ride.
The new battery was delivered miles from where it should have been, and BH UK failed to track it. Had Spain not become involved, I doubt that I'd even have it.
For all that I know, it has spent over a month being tossed and banged around all over the place.

I'm expecting a battle over this one, but trust me, I shan't be backing down.

You guys in the US are very lucky to receive the support that you receive from BH USA.

I'm dreading going back to the bike shop with it tomorrow.

BH UK have already apparently said that "if I continue to use the bike, I shall continue to break things" and I'm still fuming about this statement. The new battery had issues after just the first charge, and my ride yesterday in eco only gave 8 miles from my 20 mile ride.
The new battery was delivered miles from where it should have been, and BH UK failed to track it. Had Spain not become involved, I doubt that I'd even have it.
For all that I know, it has spent over a month being tossed and banged around all over the place.

I'm expecting a battle over this one, but trust me, I shan't be backing down.

You guys in the US are very lucky to receive the support that you receive from BH USA.

If you have a warranty, don't hesitate to contact the National distributor for NEO... You shouldn't have to put up with anything but a reliable bike that delivers the promise speed and range.

I've had these problems before, but after pulling the plugs on the charger from the wall then reconnecting to the outlet and then plug it into the battery it resets.

Honestly sounds to me you have a bad charger... Hard to believe a new battery has failed right after your old battery failed. And while it is charging only the amber light should be on, and it should switch to green when complete.... OR have you read the manual on charging the batteries?

Another way to troubleshoot is to measure the voltage on the battery leads before you charge, then measure it again after it's done charging... If the battery is LiMn it should read around 45v hot off the charger for a 36v system.
disconnecting everything including unplugging the charger then reconnect everything up again seems to work.. i've got a green light again.. btw can anyone tell me how you know if you've got a 12 amp battery as opposed to a 12 amp?? there doesn't seem to be a label on the battery..

disconnecting everything including unplugging the charger then reconnect everything up again seems to work.. i've got a green light again.. btw can anyone tell me how you know if you've got a 12 amp battery as opposed to a 12 amp?? there doesn't seem to be a label on the battery..

Glad it worked for you.. There is always a label on the battery somewhere

Back