Battery charge times 2019 Rover

nycsteve

I have 2 batteries for my 2019 Rover. Very few miles on the bike , this is my first charge. One battery was at about 60% , the other about 85% when put away. Both haven't been used for at least 6 weeks. I charged both last night , as I finally have time to play with the bike , going big , 60 mile round trip. The batteries took what I thought , a long time to charge. Almost 6 hours for the 60% one , and close to 3 hours for the 85% one. Is this normal? I'm thinking that the batteries must loose charge in storage and the percentages dropped further than their original numbers , is it that much as to extend the charge times so much?

Sounds in the ball park. The oem charger is 1 amp so it's slow. You can get after market chargers at 2 to 5 or even more amps that charge proportionally faster if faster charging is what you want.

These batteries don't lose a lot of juice in storage.

TT

Sounds in the ball park. The oem charger is 1 amp so it's slow. You can get after market chargers at 2 to 5 or even more amps that charge proportionally faster if faster charging is what you want.

TT

No harm charging at the higher amps? Any recomedations on chargers?

There are varying opinions about higher amps. Best I can tell so far, lower amps is best but if you want to speed things up, 3,4,5 amps -- some people say even 10 amps is okay. I got a charger from Luna that's adjustable from 1 to 5 amps. I generally set it at 3 but I've done 4. I've never been in a bigger hurry than that. I've had the Luna for about 6 months and am very happy with it. It's less than $100. State of the art seems to be from Satiator at less than $300 on Amazon. People swear by them but at least for now they're too expensive for me.

TT

TT

My 2019 OEM charger is a 2 amp charger, not a 1 amp.

The charging times in the OP are about what I am seeing.

One thing I will say, I dont expect my OEM charger to last too long. The charging body itself literally gets too hot to hold after only about 15 minutes of charging. Anybody else notice this?

There is definitely a body of evidence that charging a lithium ion battery to less than 100% capacity, increases its lifespan. If I get a new charger, it will probably be that adjustable Luna charger.

Last edited:
I'll have to look at my OEM Rad chargers. I sure thought they were 1 amp, but I could be wrong. I think I remember being wrong once before.

The way I ride I almost never need a 100% charge, but I've still been charging all the way. The Luna charger will let you charge to lower levels; I need to start doing that except when I'm planning on 20+ mile rides....

TT

Yeah, if my battery is only down two bars on PA3 when I get home, I usually dont charge it until the next time. This usually means that PA1 and 2 are showing only down one bar. Virtually all of my rides are 10-20 miles on level ground.

My 2019 OEM charger is a 2 amp charger, not a 1 amp.

The charging times in the OP are about what I am seeing.

One thing I will say, I dont expect my OEM charger to last too long. The charging body itself literally gets too hold to hold after only about 15 minutes of charging. Anybody else notice this?

There is definitely a body of evidence that charging a lithium ion battery to less than 100% capacity, increases its lifespan. If I get a new charger, it will probably be that adjustable Luna charger.

Yes , my OEM charger gets very hot also.

Back