Balance charging: better done with room temp battery cells?

No getting around that fact!

The picture of the OP's battery makes it look like it might be a little easier to figure out - IF he's even interested in doing that.

To be honest, with just 3v showing on a volt meter, I'm not real sure it's even worth messing with.
Agree ! but if he is watching he should get a battery complete with a charger.
BTW did I tell you I modded my controller and got 32 amps out of a 22 peak?
It actually was only putting out 18 peak ! Now I can reduce current thru the display to get whatever amps I want under 32.

So, reading various posts about hypermiling one's charging regime to milk the most lifetime range out of your battery, I have to wonder if the standard practice (with some vendors) of balance charging is sub-optimal. The instructed practice is to, approximately every 30 days, charge your battery fully, then leave the charger connected for another six hours so the BMS can balance out cells once the battery has reached a nominal voltage. But... we are advised to not charge the battery when it is hot off a ride or from outside ambient temp (reduces longevity). Yet charging heats the cells. So in that vein, would it not be better to charge the battery to whatever near nominal it will do, then disconnect the charger, let it cool, then reconnect and let it have the balancing sesh at a less damaging temperature?

I'm not claiming this would increase battery lifetime range, just thinking that if one is that into hypermiling battery lifetime that one would make a point of keeping the battery's charge within the 20-80% range, this might be another consideration.
Though often somewhat overlooked, temperature is only second to improper voltage (too high / too low) in degradation of battery cells.
You need to balance convenience with baby sitting so there is no perfect answer.
Me personally I try not to charge a stressed battery so I wait for it to warm up/cool down after a ride. If I'm doing a big charge say 40% to 100% I often do it in stages... 1st one a little while after the ride and then the 2nd just before the next ride. I have the time to do this and have the setup somewhat automated so it's really no inconvenience for me. If I was a daily commuter I would probably be more aggressive in the practice

I am new to this forum and couldn’t find a place to comment ?
I am aware that storing a lithium battery at less than 50% is a bad idea.
I just made a foolish purchase of a 36 V 10 amp hour battery that was listed as ‘new’.
It only shows 3 V on my multi meter
Two questions : 1) Is this new looking battery dead in the water and won’t take a charge?
2) I can’t find a charger with a four pin connection to the four pin port on the battery!
I would appreciate any advice ! Thank you, Richard
PS: never buy ANYTHING from Populo Bikes !
I think you need to elaborate a little. Is this a replacement battery for an existing setup?
If it's new and showing 3v, why not return it?
The seller of the battery should have provided the proper charger, or at the very least have one available.

Something tells me if this were a reputable dealer, he wouldn't have sold a 36v battery with 3v in it .....

Something tells me if this were a reputable dealer, he wouldn't have sold a 36v battery with 3v in it .....
Assuming this is an online purchase.. You still can dispute the credit card charge as having received defective product.

Back