Bafang Ultra what’s the difference between G510 and M620

Not that I am aware of.
My Ultra not silent, but it is damn quiet. My friend has Sondors Rockstar w/Ultra. We've been riding together 4 days a week for 2+ years. His motor is considerably louder than mine even after he installed Cornhead grease. We concluded it is the resonance, or amplification coming from his aluminum battery downtube chamber. It's a big aluminum chamber. My bike is carbon fiber, and does not amplify the motor noise.
I had a bike with the 750 watt Bafang and one with the M620. The hub Bafang was quite a bit quieter than the M620 but not nearly as quiet as the Brose in my current bike. You have to strain your ears to even hear the motor. After all one of the main reasons I own an electric bike is for the peace and quiet.

Thats good to hear, but its much heavier than the bbshd, does it actually produce more power/ torque
In all honesty the power feels about the same to me but my BBSHD bike is 52v vs my 48v M620 powered bike.
If i had to choose one it would be the Ultra, i feel like it is a little more durable and its easier for me to get a good workout, i do adore the smoothness and quiet of the BBSHD but the Ultra is not too loud.

Want silence, I mean real silence get a Brose powers bike.
Brose is quiet but i dont know that they are BBSHD level quiet and they are also a 250motor compared to a 1000watt.
This is what a 1000watt BBSHD sounds like climbing, if anyone could make this climb with a 250watt Brose and produce less motor noise i would be impressed.
I hear more wind and breathing than motor on this video and this guys motor is exposed so its even louder, honestly i cant hear my actual BBSHD at all,
the motor on my bike is integrated into the frame so its completely encased.

Last edited:
Brose is quiet but i dont know that they are BBSHD level quiet and they are also a 250motor compared to a 1000watt.
This is what a 1000watt BBSHD sounds like climbing, if anyone could make this climb with a 250watt Brose and produce less motor noise i would be impressed.
I hear more wind and breathing than motor on this video and this guys motor is exposed so its even louder, honestly i cant hear my actual BBSHD at all,
the motor on my bike is integrated into the frame so its completely encased.
We must always remember the 250w is just legal speak.
Top end motors are up to 800w in turbo mode.

Thanks for the info regarding pre-greased new M620/G510 motors. I was thinking of just replacing the gears, but wasn't able to find sources to purchase parts from. I'll just order a new motor and hope to get the old one repair when I can source the parts.
Smoother and quieter appeals to me.
Yes they come "pre lubed" but Bafang's definition of lubed is different from most lol, they put very little grease in their motors!
Maybe you just need to replace a busted gear? If i had one of those original motors i would for sure try and keep it going, not a sturdy as todays Ultra but they are even smoother and quieter!

I may be assuming incorrectly but I wonder if your plastic gear is the same spec as the steel gear. IIRC at the beginning of the Ultra the nylon gear was a problem for those that were trying to get max watts out of them, looking at you Luna, and they replaced it with steel? If so you could source a steel gear to replace the nylon one instead of having to buy a whole new motor? I would ask GBK if they have it in stock?

But it's all relative and the nominal rating is the base line for comparison.
As such, the 750w and 1000w Bagfang peak much higher than those numbers as well.
So a more powerful motor is understandably a little noisier
This all said my 750w BBS02B that easily peaks over 1200w is near silent and is hard to hear except slow climbing in zero ambient.
My Ultra on the other hand sounds like a supercharged can opener...ymmv

Back