Bafang Ultra - steel or nylon gear?

Weirdly I hear bbshd more on my bike than Ultra. I was surprised. I’m sure I’m in the minority on this one.
That is odd. But, I would be happy with the Ultra even if it were slightly noisier. Just hopefully not too much more. 🤞

Weirdly I hear bbshd more on my bike than Ultra. I was surprised. I’m sure I’m in the minority on this one.
Which just BEGS the question, what's the difference between my Ultra and yours?

Have you had yours apart and added special grease to the gears to quiet them? Something else?

Yeah.. you dont want to overdo it.. up to the brim means it will spill over to other components.
But the right amount of grease iin the gear assembly reduces the motor noise considerably.

Yeah.. you dont want to overdo it.. up to the brim means it will spill over to other components.
But the right amount of grease iin the gear assembly reduces the motor noise considerably.
Do you have a recommended brand or type?

I think everyone’s using the Mobil shc 100. You want something rated for “Higher Speed Applications Such as Electric Motors, Where Reduced Friction, Low Wear, Long Service Life are Required” (from the product description.

I think everyone’s using the Mobil shc 100. You want something rated for “Higher Speed Applications Such as Electric Motors, Where Reduced Friction, Low Wear, Long Service Life are Required” (from the product description.
Not to add to your plate @pushkar, but since you're in the motor assembly replacing the controller, is this something that Watt Wagons could do for a nominal fee prior to shipping?

We already do it when we swap the controllers. 👍

however, if you do feel extra generous, we will accept payments in form of Dunkin’ donut coffees. 😊 it’s getting brrrr cold out there.
One of the coldest I’ve ever been was in Boston. I stopped in a Dunkin Donuts and ordered a giant coffee and clung to it like a hot water bottle. Your comment made me chuckle.

I saw a video of somebody who cleaned their ULTRA and then packed it solid with grease, no air, it was crazy.
Not sure that is what Bafang recommends.
Simon ( the guy ) admitted later that he didn't know what he was doing and that it was a mistake.

Whatever happened to that guy btw ? I saw he deleted his accounts and everything.
I think some of the Brits here on the board know and have even commented but I forget what they said. Maybe one of them will chime in. 👍 My guess is he got threatened by the 'authorities' for reselling 'illegal' ( in Britain ) ebikes.

I have a 2017 Ultra with the nylon gears and I still haven't had a problem. And I do my best to break it every time I ride it.:) Have had the metal gears in my garage for years but I won't swap them until the nylon fails. Zero noise , presently and I like that.
If you decide to go ahead and install that steel gear before the nylon one fails, I'll purchase the nylon gear from you!
Tim

Back