Bafang Max - First 80 Miles

TedG

Took delivery of my new Biktrix Monte Capro 4 days ago. Apparently, the Monte Capro is the first production bike in North America to offer (and deliver) this drive. The Bafang Max is very smooth and the torque sensor is amazing in modulating power delivery. At level 1, there is no surging what so ever, yet is delivers just the right amount of assistance for top gear flat country riding.
I attacked a number of steep trails around my cottage today. I intentionally turned the drive to level 5 (max) and used as high a gear as possible to make the hill. The Max is amazing in how strong it pulls, without any fuss. After a few steep hills, I stopped for a moment and without realizing it I had the calf of my leg resting against the drive. I would not have noticed except the drive was warm against my cold leg - - WARM, not hot.
The standard battery on the Monte Capro took me 50.3 miles yesterday, riding these same trails, except I was less aggressive on the steep hills, (lowest gear and power 4).

Last edited:
Took delivery of my new Biktrix Monte Capro 4 days ago. Apparently, the Monte Capro is the first production bike in North America to offer (and deliver) this drive. The Bafang Max is very smooth and the torque sensor is amazing in modulating power delivery. At level 1, there is no surging what so ever, yet is delivers just the right amount of assistance for top gear flat country riding.
I attacked a number of steep trails around my cottage today. I intentionally turned the drive to level 5 (max) and used as high a gear as possible to make the hill. The Max is amazing in how strong is pulls, without any fuss. After a few steep hills, I stopped for a moment and without realizing it I had the calf of my leg resting against the drive. I would not have noticed except the drive was warm against my cold leg - - WARM, not hot.
The standard battery on the Monte Capro took me 50.3 miles yesterday, riding these same trails, except I was less aggressive on the steep hills, (lowest gear and power 4).

Great report. I also bought the upgraded 14ah battery with mine. So I will have two. If I can get 80-100 miles out of both batteries, It will be perfect.

I attacked a number of steep trails around my cottage today. I intentionally turned the drive to level 5 (max) and used as high a gear as possible to make the hill. The Max is amazing in how strong is pulls, without any fuss. After a few steep hills, I stopped for a moment and without realizing it I had the calf of my leg resting against the drive. I would not have noticed except the drive was warm against my cold leg - - WARM, not hot.

Congrats on the bike! You made a great choice.

I really love the Bafang Max drive. To be fair, the Karmic Koben did beat the MonteCapro to North America by a month or two, so the Koben is the first production bike with the Max drive. :D

How was climbing the hill with the full suspension? I'm running a Bafang mid-drive on a full suspension Giant Anthem nowadays and I changed out the rear shock for the Rockshox Monarch RL so that I can lock out the rear shock while climbing hills and eliminate that bouncing feeling that robs so much power from pedaling. My front shock already had lock-out functionality so I didn't have to change it out.

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/monarch-rl

What do you think of SR Suntour suspension in general in your experience with the MonteCapro thus far?

Congrats on the bike! You made a great choice.

I really love the Bafang Max drive. To be fair, the Karmic Koben did beat the MonteCapro to North America by a month or two, so the Koben is the first production bike with the Max drive. :D

How was climbing the hill with the full suspension? I'm running a Bafang mid-drive on a full suspension Giant Anthem nowadays and I changed out the rear shock for the Rockshox Monarch RL so that I can lock out the rear shock while climbing hills and eliminate that bouncing feeling that robs so much power from pedaling. My front shock already had lock-out functionality so I didn't have to change it out.

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/monarch-rl

What do you think of SR Suntour suspension in general in your experience with the MonteCapro thus far?
The suspension works very well for me but this is my first suspended bike.

I attacked a number of steep trails around my cottage today. I intentionally turned the drive to level 5 (max) and used as high a gear as possible to make the hill. The Max is amazing in how strong it pulls, without any fuss. After a few steep hills, I stopped for a moment and without realizing it I had the calf of my leg resting against the drive. I would not have noticed except the drive was warm against my cold leg - - WARM, not hot.
Congrats on the Monte Capro. Do you have any video on the bike?

Back