bafang controller speed increase....anyone with experience?

clean

Hi guys, I have a bafang hub motor and controller just like this one:

You can enter the settings and play with current / speed settings which of-course does nothing to really change the top speed. BTW I have the current and speed settings maxed - no change from stock. the limits are built in to the controller.

there are some other settings to change wheel diameter , number of poles in the motor etc etc.

is there anyway to get more top speed with this type of setup with different settings? or would a different unrestricted controller be the only thing that would truly increase the top speed?

If i keep my eye on the wattage use it will peak at 999 watts until i reach 20kmh - then it will start to automatically throttle back wattage as I reach top @25-27kmh. it will maintain about 3-500 watts to maintain that top speed.

If i could unable it to hold that 999 watts on longer without automatically throttling it back then the top speed would no doubt increase - whether that's possible or not with settings is the question.

I have heard changing the wheel diameter can fool the controller into thinking your going slower then you actually are?

I need to cover alot of land on closed wide open gravel roads for work, and more speed would really help.

anyone played around with this stuff much? thanks in advance.

Which motor is it?

I have the same display (the C965), on a Bafang 500W rear hub. If you have the 4 digit password, you can increase the top speed easily. No fiddling with changing wheel diameter, or playing with voltage etc.

This video shows the basics of how to do it... the user in the video uses the password 0512, but mine was 1919 (which is the default password according to the manual).

Here's the manual for the display, with more details about entering the password...

Before doing that, I first made sure my speedometer was accurate... here's an old post on my speed testing...

After I changed the wheel diameter to match (and it's 99.8% accurate), I did the unlock and boosted my speed. I RARELY go beyond the 32kph mark (I'm usually happy at about 24-26kph) but I have hit real world 42kph after unlocking.

Hope that helps.

Back