Bafang BBSHD mid-mount kit installation complete

OldRoady

I have a 2009 Ibex Asta Pro that I decided to convert to an e-bike. I was road and off road rider for over 30 years. Had to quit riding about 5 years ago due to lower back issues. Underwent surgery and worked with physical therapy to no avail for cycling. I can walk two or three miles at a brisk pace, circuit train with weights at the gym and extensive core exercises (per my PTs). But the pedaling motion causes a lot of inflamation. Even pedaling the MTB around the neighborhood two miles prior to kit install to make sure brakes and shifting worked properly resulted in serious discomfort shortly after. I planned on using the ebike exclusively with throttle only once completed.

I ordered the BBSHD kit from Bafang DirectUSA with their 48v 11.7ampHour ultraslim battery. From the dimensions, it looked like the only one that would fit in my main triangle. The battery required a little additional fabrication with a mounting plate to get it to attach to my existing water bottle bosses. The other aspect that required rework were the hydraulic brake sensor. There just wasn't a place to bond the sensors directly on my Elixir brake lever assembly. I ended up wrapping the brake lever assembly with a a couple of layers of an old road bike tube. Place the sensor and wrapped it all a couple more times with the tire tube. Then secured it with a zip tie and covered zip tie with black electrical tape.

When I had the bike out I was running the 46x21 and it seemed to bog down a little on some short local hills that max out around 13%. I also couldn't use more than like 3 or 4 of my rear cogs on the 9spd cassette without the chain jumping the chainring. So I ordered a 42t Lekkie ring and a chain holder to mount where the front derailleur would typically be. I figure with the 42 and a chainguide I should be able to easily run the 14 to 24 cogs on my cassette and possibly the 28. The 14 - 24 would give me gear ratios of 3.0 to 1.75. If it'll take the 28, that'll give me a 1.5 low end. Even the 1.75 should be enough for me. I don't intend to take the bike on any long overly steep gradients.

The bike has plenty of power. Factory speed limit on the controller was 25mph, I was able to bump it up to 31mph with the stock display functions. I don't really expect to take the bike over 18-20 mph during typical riding. However there are times when a little more speed is necessary to safely negotiate road traffic.

I'm very happy with the way the bike turned out. Felt a bit out of place and a little nervous about the bike at close to 20 mph. But after a few miles, I felt right at home again. I use to road race and time trial years ago, plus lots of fast road rides on group training rides. So I know what it is like to ride at speed and the dangers involved. This thing is just going to be for brief recreational rides and the 3 miles to get over to our local park where I go for walks a few times a week. I think I had just as much fun putting this thing together as I have getting it out and riding the first few times. I use to do all the maintenance on my road bikes and my MTB. Plus I've built a number of bikes up from bare frame. So I know my way around a Park workstand.
IMG_0347 (1280x960).jpg
IMG_0346 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0348 (960x1280).jpg
IMG_0345 (1280x960).jpg

I have a 2009 Ibex Asta Pro that I decided to convert to an e-bike. I was road and off road rider for over 30 years. Had to quit riding about 5 years ago due to lower back issues. Underwent surgery and worked with physical therapy to no avail for cycling. I can walk two or three miles at a brisk pace, circuit train with weights at the gym and extensive core exercises (per my PTs). But the pedaling motion causes a lot of inflamation. Even pedaling the MTB around the neighborhood two miles prior to kit install to make sure brakes and shifting worked properly resulted in serious discomfort shortly after. I planned on using the ebike exclusively with throttle only once completed.

I ordered the BBSHD kit from Bafang DirectUSA with their 48v 11.7ampHour ultraslim battery. From the dimensions, it looked like the only one that would fit in my main triangle. The battery required a little additional fabrication with a mounting plate to get it to attach to my existing water bottle bosses. The other aspect that required rework were the hydraulic brake sensor. There just wasn't a place to bond the sensors directly on my Elixir brake lever assembly. I ended up wrapping the brake lever assembly with a a couple of layers of an old road bike tube. Place the sensor and wrapped it all a couple more times with the tire tube. Then secured it with a zip tie and covered zip tie with black electrical tape.

When I had the bike out I was running the 46x21 and it seemed to bog down a little on some short local hills that max out around 13%. I also couldn't use more than like 3 or 4 of my rear cogs on the 9spd cassette without the chain jumping the chainring. So I ordered a 42t Lekkie ring and a chain holder to mount where the front derailleur would typically be. I figure with the 42 and a chainguide I should be able to easily run the 14 to 24 cogs on my cassette and possibly the 28. The 14 - 24 would give me gear ratios of 3.0 to 1.75. If it'll take the 28, that'll give me a 1.5 low end. Even the 1.75 should be enough for me. I don't intend to take the bike on any long overly steep gradients.

The bike has plenty of power. Factory speed limit on the controller was 25mph, I was able to bump it up to 31mph with the stock display functions. I don't really expect to take the bike over 18-20 mph during typical riding. However there are times when a little more speed is necessary to safely negotiate road traffic.

I'm very happy with the way the bike turned out. Felt a bit out of place and a little nervous about the bike at close to 20 mph. But after a few miles, I felt right at home again. I use to road race and time trial years ago, plus lots of fast road rides on group training rides. So I know what it is like to ride at speed and the dangers involved. This thing is just going to be for brief recreational rides and the 3 miles to get over to our local park where I go for walks a few times a week. I think I had just as much fun putting this thing together as I have getting it out and riding the first few times. I use to do all the maintenance on my road bikes and my MTB. Plus I've built a number of bikes up from bare frame. So I know my way around a Park workstand.View attachment 56884View attachment 56887
View attachment 56901View attachment 56903

Very well done! You may want to re-route the front brake line with a zip-tie so it does not get snagged. ;)

1593298432153.png

i see that your frame may be larger tubing diameter like my Trek 7000. Did you have any issues with mounting the motor. Have you had a chance to check battery range. I am looking to convert my Trek but not sure how to tell if it will fit.

Trek 7000
When assisting someone I always suggest using Google. Trek 7000 BBS02 next Trek 7000 BBSHD. Since it seems it's a 68MM or 73MM bottom bracket both motors are an option.

Here's a cut and paste from one thread, "Didn’t know a lot about e-bikes so I read everything I could get my hands on for about 2 weeks. I have a Trek 7000 MTB that is about 20 years old. It just feels like an old friend so I decided to convert it to an e-bike. I bought a BBS02 kit from Luna Cycles. I just received the kit and it took about 6 hours to install. Quite easy actually. So today it was pretty cold here, in the thirties but I had to take it for a test ride. I started out and I liked the pedal assist, should be great riding into the wind or uphill. Now I had to see how fast it would go. I hit the throttle and immediately felt the acceleration. It topped out at 35 mph. As fast as I want to go without disk brakes. So now I think I have a brake conversion in my future. This has given my old bike a new life and I get to spend more time with an old friend."

Congratulations on your build! My Luna BBSHD is scheduled to arrive next Thursday. Looking forward to my own install. Keep us posted on how it performs.

i see that your frame may be larger tubing diameter like my Trek 7000. Did you have any issues with mounting the motor. Have you had a chance to check battery range. I am looking to convert my Trek but not sure how to tell if it will fit.
The motor doesn't mount to your frame tubing. It installs thru the bottom bracket. I see someone else has replied about Trek 7000. From usage, it seems like my range on throttle only is between 20-25 miles. Where I use mine has lots of short steep hills, which likely reduces my range as opposed to if our roads were flat. My 3.5 mile trip to a park hits three hills that are about 100 to 120ft elevation gain each at 10 to 15% gradient. I don't use it all that much, I've only put about 200 miles on it since July. A 10 mile hilly loop earlier this week. I've not experienced any problems. I'm hoping to use the bike more often next year. Still very happy with my purchase. Like I've stated before (and many others agree), toss out the standard Bafang chainring and get a Lekkie 40 or 42 tooth Blingring. Standard chainring really only works if you are running a single speed or an internal multispeed hub like a Sturmey Archer or Shimano Nexus.

Lekkie 40
Smallest without an install kit is 42T. The 40T kit is near twice the price of a 42T bling ring. I found I couldn’t run any narrow wide chain ring with my HD Connex chains. But having mastered smooth shifts my cheap chain, 132L, serves me well.

Battery fit may be the biggest issue. It appears to be a Hailong case. The battery seller should have the measurements to sort the same case.

I'd not order a 52V battery. Builders stuff that case with cells, for 14T, typically glued together to pack in and fit the case.

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 10.42.07 AM.png

my '03 giant ac with the bbs02 and a spacer to bring the 42t bafang away from the chainstay ( i keep wanting to call it a swingarm :rolleyes:), has no problem coming off using an 8 spd derailleur.

Attachments

• 20200912_151838.jpg
    20200912_151838.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 308
I’m one that would shield that battery case. MTB fender at the least.

Back