Bafang BBS02 PAS/Throttle Problem

Crossroads

Region
USA
Hopefully someone can help me shed some light on my problem. I have a BBS02 that failed to start up a few weeks ago. Nothing came up on the display and for all intents and purposes the bike was dead. After learning that the problem would more than likely be caused by a controller failure, I sent for and replaced the controller with the updated controller I bought from ebay. After installing the controller, the motor started up display showed up normally, then when I took it out to test it there was no pedal assist at all but the throttle worked but only for a few minutes then the motor would stop and an error 08H at that point neither pedal assist or the throttle would work. If you reboot it it powers back up there is no error displayed but it is still dead in the water. I was told by controller supplier that I needed to inspect the motor for any damage internally, I did and then after re-assembling for the forth time when I start up the motor the display comes on no error code and all I hear is a click. This is where I am at this point. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your phase wires are not in right order hence the "click sound",sometimes the wire color of replacement part is not same order as original.

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your phase wires are not in right order hence the "click sound",sometimes the wire color of replacement part is not same order as original.
I've never seen different color phase wire on a BBSxx series motor.

How old is the BBS02?

The replacement controller could have funky programming.

Here's an excellent trouble shooting thread,

This from my old tech support notes,

FYI, I just had an HD in for troubleshooting from (redacted), A new motor and a new controller would not correct the 08 error. We finally unplugged the PAS circuit and error went away, I get many 08 situations and the hall sensors are always good. Now we may know what is causing the problem. We suspect the PAS circuit is pulling down the 5v pwer to the point that it triggers an 08. When I replaced the PAS circuit all is well.

Thank you....I will look into replacing the PAS circuit. I'm trying to make sure that the new controller isn't bad. I guess the additional 15.00 would help to find out one way or another. I see that a special tool is required to get that deep into the motor?

I've never seen different color phase wire on a BBSxx series motor.

How old is the BBS02?

The replacement controller could have funky programming.

Here's an excellent trouble shooting thread,

Thank you. At this time motor is not running, no error code shows on display.

I'm not up on the BBS02, but didn't I see where the replacement controller needed to be configured with the motor it was installed on with a special "tool"?

So far I have not been told this. I do have the programming cable. Btw: I did switch the blue and green wires and have since gotten back to the motor running for 5 minutes or so then the 08 error comes up and motor stops working. Pas still not working and walk mode does not work either.

So far I have not been told this. I do have the programming cable. Btw: I did switch the blue and green wires and have since gotten back to the motor running for 5 minutes or so then the 08 error comes up and motor stops working. Pas still not working and walk mode does not work either.
What? We’re they blue to blue and green to green? As they always should be!

Do not experiment by connecting dissimilar colored wire.

I see that a special tool is required to get that deep into the motor?
Where do you see that? Link please? Is it maybe about removing a bearing unrelated to electronic or PAS PCB replacement?

Welcome to the forum.

You were right on the phase wires, corrected that mistake and the same thing is happening. No pas, runs for a few minutes under throttle, then quits, displays the 08 error, if you turn it off and back on it will not come up with the error but it still does not work. One other thing of note: The motor sounds like it is over revving or spinning when shifting I had not noticed this before. I'm wondering if the motor is becoming a write off at this point. Have you heard of that kind of sound during operation? It reminds me of a clutch slipping or something similar. With all the other problems going on I'm wondering if it's worth trying to fix it at this point. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back