bafang 1000w after use

duggie

Region
United Kingdom
The bafang 1000w I put onto my 20 inch folding bike is amazing. We have been touring and testing. The power is there. With my fat tyre i let my daughter and grand kids have a go, but not this, it is a serious bit of kit, seriously. It stands up to rough tracks, it goes for miles and miles. I expected to have to keep pulling into a campsite to charge them, but it just went on. 40 miles and still loads left. Hills? No problem. I thought surely this is going to burn out, but then found even more throttle and it bolted up even more.

I thought at first there was a problem with there being no PAS to set, the bike seemed to run away faster than me or not...........BUT it has no PAS setting because it doesn't need one, it is worked out automatic, like AI, it knows. So give it a couple of seconds and it susses you and, well, gives you more or less, it knows you and what you want, I'm amazed. AHicks.......you was willing to help me customize it but it doesn't need it, it knows. I am amazed. This is something else.

I kept expecting it to break down but it didn't. It has five levels. I don't know how fast this thing will go, I never go out of level one, It is not for the faint hearted, and I limited it to 15mph.

It has a thumb throttle. If you come to a bit of a steep bit, rather than change down, you just keep pedalling and instead give it some throttle to get you past that bit. It is like a rocket kicking in.

Basically, it seems to 'know' exactly, kinda spooky. I am very happy and grateful. thanks to all you persons who have got me here with your guidance, I cannot convey to you just how happy you have made me. It has changed my life, truly. Thank you. Doug

The bafang 1000w I put onto my 20 inch folding bike is amazing. We have been touring and testing. The power is there. With my fat tyre i let my daughter and grand kids have a go, but not this, it is a serious bit of kit, seriously. It stands up to rough tracks, it goes for miles and miles. I expected to have to keep pulling into a campsite to charge them, but it just went on. 40 miles and still loads left. Hills? No problem. I thought surely this is going to burn out, but then found even more throttle and it bolted up even more.

I thought at first there was a problem with there being no PAS to set, the bike seemed to run away faster than me or not...........BUT it has no PAS setting because it doesn't need one, it is worked out automatic, like AI, it knows. So give it a couple of seconds and it susses you and, well, gives you more or less, it knows you and what you want, I'm amazed. AHicks.......you was willing to help me customize it but it doesn't need it, it knows. I am amazed. This is something else.

I kept expecting it to break down but it didn't. It has five levels. I don't know how fast this thing will go, I never go out of level one, It is not for the faint hearted, and I limited it to 15mph.

It has a thumb throttle. If you come to a bit of a steep bit, rather than change down, you just keep pedalling and instead give it some throttle to get you past that bit. It is like a rocket kicking in.

Basically, it seems to 'know' exactly, kinda spooky. I am very happy and grateful. thanks to all you persons who have got me here with your guidance, I cannot convey to you just how happy you have made me. It has changed my life, truly. Thank you. Doug
If you purchased a full Bafang conversion kit you should have some type of PAS? im confused..

A BBSHD? Definitely has PAS settings. 3, 5, or 9. Very tough snd popular with pedicabs. Its that tough. Peaks at 1500W.

If memory serves me correctly, I think he's got one of the newer 1000w Bafang hub drives laced up to a fatty rim.

It sounds like he's saying what I have for quite a while about these bigger motors. Everyone assumes they are power hogs. They are not! They don't use any more power than you tell them to.

He knows he's got 5 PAS levels, but he only needs/uses the first. This is also similar to how mine are used most often....

It's a bafang 1000w 52v mid drive kit put onto a 20inch wheel ordinary folding bike. The controller is the eco/pro type. It doesn't allow PAS choice on the settings, as the other controller for these bafang kits have. But it certainly controls the PAS automatically. It seems weird at first. It is like AI which knows what you want. It is amazing. The other levels from two to five, well, I don't need them. I did try level two and it just seemed to go faster. There may be more to the levels, maybe i'll find out later. But frankly it would be scary. It is a mean machine and needs respect and skill, which i am still mastering. It is not the speed I need, but the torque which is 160max, because of hills and my adult man weight. The thumb throttle is useful if you just what to coast along doing nothing, having a break, but usually I use the pedals. But the thumb throttle can be added whilst pedalling and just gives you more assist, so you don't need to change gears for bits of inclines, which would not be good to change gear with the load on. The throttle thus makes for safer riding, esp as it can just give you that extra instantaneous speed to be in a safer place.

The throttle is also very sensitive, in a controllable way, and this has to be so or it would buck you, so on a hill it is better to set off with throttle and then begin pedalling as the throttle brings the motor in much gentler than the crank.

The battery is the largest, and is fitted to the back rack. It just goes on and on. I've been on rough tracks and had no problems.

It is rare in life I am so impressed. It is a fantastic bit of kit, especially to take with you when touring. I tour with a low roof, short wheel base VW van fitted with a simple sleeping platform, so the bikes go under this platform easily.

Someone on here told me to set the display for watts, and I think this is very useful.

I am so grateful. This bike has made a great change to my life for the better.

Oh, cheers, guys for that love. Love you too. I mean that, and what a great thing to use the internet for to help eachother. Thanks, nice one

Wow we have gotten thru this without any Nattering Nabobs of Negativity. And no Karens. Maybe this is a new trend and we can all just be happy for one another in our respective choices.

:D

So how many accidental wheelies on that 20" folder when the weight shifts over the rear wheel? I only have a little 4" diameter hub motor in my folder, and I recently surprised myself and scared oncoming riders when I gave the throttle a blip starting off at an uphill crossing. I was in lowest gear too.

So how many accidental wheelies on that 20" folder when the weight shifts over the rear wheel? I only have a little 4" diameter hub motor in my folder, and I recently surprised myself and scared oncoming riders when I gave the throttle a blip starting off at an uphill crossing. I was in lowest gear too.
I can't speak for 20" usage, but I got off balance with a 26" climbing this little 4' hill I'd already crossed 100 times, the bike "wheelied" out from under me, and I wound up flat on my back with the wind knocked out of me. That was a 1000w MAC 12t geared hub, and it was WAY more about me being off balance than bad manners on the part of the bike. No place to put the blame there than the old man riding the bike....

Sure was glad for the throttle that day though. I was by myself, and pedaling home was the LAST thing I was in the mood for....

harryS.....It was difficult at first to get the measure of it. The thumb throttle, you really need to have your thumb 'presed into the fulcrum that you can get, and also use the resistance of doing that to be able to ever so slightly and slowly engage the throttle so that it is as smooth and gentle as possible, which it can do. I love it. It is not just uphil starts, but also slow tight turning through barriers, gates, etc. It can do it, but it takes practice. This is why I don't let anyone ride it.

I'm still not sure of what drive you have (1000w 52v doesn't define it well enough), but if it's a BBSHD, we were talking about this issue this morning.

In post #47, I was speaking with the UART based Ultra M620 in mind, but the BBSHD and BBS02 both share the exact same programming, and all 3 are well known for their aggressive startup with the factory settings. You can tame that easily if you take the time and trouble to learn how it's done.

I'll check when back at the workshop where i keep it then post the exact info. It's fantastic, I can't get over it.

BAFANG BBSHD 52V 1000W Mid Drive Motor Conversion Kits for Ebike BB 68mm 17.5Ah. It has the DPC18 display and the 40t chainwheel. And the back rack 17.5Ah battery. I fitted it on an apollo folding bike 1662851202887.png

Back