BackPacks specifically made for Ebikes

I do not need to use the power cord. Actually, I have no possibility to use it. The only thing I want is to be possibly effortlessly carry the spare battery. Tried it with Vario and didn't like it. EVOC could be better.
One thing I have also done in that pack is padded it inside. Its one thing that the pack does not move. The next step is to ensure the battery inside doesn't move, either. In that pack I also added the pump/tools I would ordinarily secrete somewhere on the bike, which took up part of the extra room inside the 20L pack. I used some leftover scraps of MinicelT-600, a very dense closed cell foam. Since you have no issue with heat, its likely a dedicated full-coverage sleeve or envelope of some sort is a good option that doesn't require any fiddling/effort to unpack or re-pack the spent battery.

I was tempted to add a hydration bladder but upon reflection a 3L water source directly adjacent to the pack seemed inadvisable.

You made me interested in your backpack Nomad. How does it feel to carry 4 kg extra on your back? A serious question.
You absolutely feel it, but it is well distributed. Until I fully test it this summer I can't fully weight in on it. I can tell you without the battery in it with my gear it works really really well.

I figured I start a thread about backpacks made for ebike riders. EVOC makes a few packs made specifically made for ebike riders that are designed to safely carry a spare battery for a number of the top ebike manufactures. They even include some back protection. I have a EVOC fr tour 30l. Does anyone else have one of their ebike specific packs? Are there other companies out there making packs like this?
I hope to read of others who have purchased and used ebike-specific back packs for the purpose of bringing along an extra ebike battery. Looking into it several years ago, I found these types of backpacks were exclusive to Euro backpack makers as the mtb ebike market there caught on earlier than here in the US. Here's an example of one made by Vaude: https://www.vaude.com/en-INT/Equipm...-Backpacks/32656/eBracket-28-Cycling-backpack Unfortunately, this is a German brand with what seems to be no US sellers listed. I did not check Ridewill IT, who gladly sell to US buyers, so they are worth a shot to see what is available in the area of ebike specific backpacks.

The way I read the opening thread by @Nomad, the poster was asking about info out there from people who use a backpack to carry a spare battery. It DID NOT ask for any other personal opinions about these backpacks and we should all respect the OP's original post in that spirit.

Some personal experience gained in carrying batteries in rack mounted panniers, in order to put the thought to rest that this is the only safe way to carry a spare battery or two.... To those who do carry spare batteries in their rack mounted panniers- that is what I do when going on extra long rides. I can tell you that my ebike battery-carrying panniers; Ortlieb E-Mates, will not last long on any kind of real MTB riding scenario. Ortlieb did not build these things beyond what they do with their standard panniers: flimsy plastic rack hooks instead of steel or diecast steel. Ditto the inner backing plate from which the battery attaches; instead of a heavy duty fiberglass backing, it is a cheap plastic in which the battery pouch is strapped to. Hitting any bump in the road or trail and there is an unsettling thunk as all that plastic takes the brunt of the hit.

So the ebike specific backpack has it's place in any long distance ebiking.

100_4069.JPG

There are 2 500wh Yamaha external batteries within these Ortlieb E-Mates and this was the beginning of a 95 mile, on-road ride, in 2019. The first ever ride using these bags, carrying batteries. And I learned early in the trip that any and all pot holes, street drain grates and the like were to be avoided in order to reduce the shock load placed on those cheap plastic Ortlieb hooks and clips.

I hope to read of others who have purchased and used ebike-specific back packs for the purpose of bringing along an extra ebike battery. Looking into it several years ago, I found these types of backpacks were exclusive to Euro backpack makers as the mtb ebike market there caught on earlier than here in the US. Here's an example of one made by Vaude: https://www.vaude.com/en-INT/Equipm...-Backpacks/32656/eBracket-28-Cycling-backpack Unfortunately, this is a German brand with what seems to be no US sellers listed. I did not check Ridewill IT, who gladly sell to US buyers, so they are worth a shot to see what is available in the area of ebike specific backpacks.

The way I read the opening thread by @Nomad, the poster was asking about info out there from people who use a backpack to carry a spare battery. It DID NOT ask for any other personal opinions about these backpacks and we should all respect the OP's original post in that spirit.

Some personal experience gained in carrying batteries in rack mounted panniers, in order to put the thought to rest that this is the only safe way to carry a spare battery or two.... To those who do carry spare batteries in their rack mounted panniers- that is what I do when going on extra long rides. I can tell you that my ebike battery-carrying panniers; Ortlieb E-Mates, will not last long on any kind of real MTB riding scenario. Ortlieb did not build these things beyond what they do with their standard panniers: flimsy plastic rack hooks instead of steel or diecast steel. Ditto the inner backing plate from which the battery attaches; instead of a heavy duty fiberglass backing, it is a cheap plastic in which the battery pouch is strapped to. Hitting any bump in the road or trail and there is an unsettling thunk as all that plastic takes the brunt of the hit.

So the ebike specific backpack has it's place in any long distance ebiking.

View attachment 146113
There are 2 500wh Yamaha external batteries within these Ortlieb E-Mates and this was the beginning of a 95 mile, on-road ride, in 2019. The first ever ride using these bags, carrying batteries. And I learned early in the trip that any and all pot holes, street drain grates and the like were to be avoided in order to reduce the shock load placed on those cheap plastic Ortlieb hooks and clips.
well said

It’s a forum not a religulous site where we’re locked into strict codes and commandments. The best packs for carrying a battery whether as a spare or as a wired in battery are likely the same.

My gravel riding mates explicitly forbade me carrying the spare battery in the backpack with these arguments:
  • The heavy backpack will put a lot of load on my spine
  • There will be an extra load on my bum/saddle
  • The centre of gravity will go very high
  • It is not kosher for a gravel cyclist to carry a backpack; it is the MTB thing :)
I have to respect their views (of both boys and girls!) Well, the e-Mate has worked well for me...

My gravel riding mates explicitly forbade me carrying the spare battery in the backpack with these arguments:
  • The heavy backpack will put a lot of load on my spine
  • There will be an extra load on my bum/saddle
  • The centre of gravity will go very high
  • It is not kosher for a gravel cyclist to carry a backpack; it is the MTB thing :)
I have to respect their views (of both boys and girls!) Well, the e-Mate has worked well for me...
It;s an EMTB thing. I guess you'll have to by your old bike back if you want one:)🤣

These types of threads confuse me, you ride an ebike and you can't figure out how to carry another battery? (not directed at you Nomad, just this thread in general.)
Front panniers, rear panniers, back pack, tube pack, handlebar pack, pockets.
Do your research and figure out what meets your needs. Get it, throw the battery in and go biking.

Who gives a s*it what other riders think!

Last edited:
Back