Awaiting the arrival of my 2015 Turbo X

Ok, evening update. Between gymnastics for the kids and bedtime, I made a few changes to the bike.

In my area, the mirror isn't a help, so it's gone.

Removed the 1400 lumen light - as per forum members suggestions :)

Removed the body geometry seat - sure wasn't meant for my geometry...sweet mother...not even close. The new seat? I'll update this post when I grab the packaging.

Removed the garbage pedals that came with the bike, replaced them with Shimano Saints I had around. Love these pedals, not the lightest...at all, but so smooth and more importantly, they can handle my considerable self.

Between the seat and the pedals, it went from a 5 to an 8 in comfort. Once I put a (taller) riser stem on it that's a bit shorter to make my position a little more upright, it will likely be a good 9.5 to 10. But I'll reserve judgement on that.

I think the pedals that I have are excellent. They actually look somewhat similar to the SSaints. No slipping on these. But then again I am used to ten euro pedals. I never got a mirror on my bike, but it is there because of L1e vehicle requirement in EU. I read some Specialized documentation where it said that also the small plastic balls in the tips of brake levers are a L1e requirement. My original seat was different from the current Turbo S models, but that broke already. When I saw the newer version of the Bodyform it seemed to be of lower quality. Never took that in the end. It seemed that after the -13 model Specialized made downgrades in some parts, possibly to get the price lower. For example, gone were some carbon parts.

https://docs.google.com/a/rosscrew.net/file/d/0B3bROJRJdrMoem1Iajl2Rk9UclU/edit?usp=docslist_api

OK, you guys will have to tell me if this link works. I couldn't link the IMG strangely. I have sharing turned on...so I have no idea what's happening. Let me know what you guys see.

I just snapped these quick on the way out the door, I'll get the rest later when I get home and have a better (non garage) background.

Bike is being unlocked (for speed) on wed. :)

I find the 32kph cutoff is where I cruise at, so I'll be able to push it more with the unlock. Also they are going to adjust acceleration % for me. They want me to try 600% then tweak it down from there. They feel they can get the bike to behave as if I'm a normal rider weight and give me the same experience. I'll report back on that with final numbers. I told them I don't want to work less than I do, it's likely perfect where it's at because I damp down the systems performance that it's still a workout. But if I can normalize the acceleration to allow me to have the same experience as someone who is 220-250lbs, then that might be a nice option. It's like life hacking. Hahaha

Last edited:
I had 600% as default for acceleration and that is really good especially in the max power mode.

Really? Is that the default setting it comes with or did you have it adjusted up. How much of a difference does it make?

Really? Is that the default setting it comes with or did you have it adjusted up. How much of a difference does it make?

I checked this with the diagnostic device and software and it was already at 600%. Maybe it is different in the X.

I have been following your Forum for a couple weeks and it persuaded me to go with a Turbo x and so far I am very happy with the choice. I too am from Canada(Alberta) and crave the extra speed but I am unable to persuade any of the local dealers to "help" me with this. Do you know what other options I may have short of making a trip to the US?

The device/software is available only to dealers so unless you can find a cooperating dealer you have little choices. The software that needs modding with the diagnostic tool and sw is in the battery so as long as you have the battery the mod can be done.

Why do they refuse to do it? You can tell them that you want to register it as a moped so you would want it to be changed to S-pedelec mode. Google says that Alberta considers the Turbo as a "power bicycle" (max assist speed 32 km/h) with which one should wear an approved motorcycle helmet (!) but you dont need insurance. With higher speeds it needs to be classified as a moped and then you need registration and insurance and the following equipment (applies to power bikes as well): headlamp, tail lamp, brake lamp, reflectors, brakes, horn, and mirror. So, technically it should be possible to get it registered.

Last edited:
That was easy! Was there a registration inspection? I would have thought they give you grief about the missing brake light or something. But glad it worked out so smoothly.

Well it wasn't exactly easy but it is now unlocked. Registration turned out to be a headache as they had never registered a bicycle before, but we were able to work through it. Dealer talked with Specialized and they were fine with it as well. Time to ride.....

Has Magnumb gone dark on the review of his x? I was really enjoying his response and that of Brambor, Marko and others. It is very enjoyable to gain the knowledge that the players on this forum offer. What a great conduit to share knowledge capital. My experience thus far is that ebike owners are more technically oriented on another side of the coin than what an average bike salesman is versed in usually and this forum and Court's reviews do an excellent job of bridging that gap while shopping for the right bike. I thank you all. Respectfully

Last edited:
One tip as to handlebar height: you can remove and invert the "horizontal" part of the gooseneck to get about 1/2" higher position of the handlebars.

Back