Aventon FINALLY adding throttle on demand

While I'm not all too even slightly happy about the fact that they did this via selling a new bundle, it's probably just lack of technical competence to issue firmware upgrades. Fine... whatever. But seeing as it is sold out for the time being, I'd like to know if anybody on these forums has ordered on and seen if it has any effect. Yes, I accept that it will probably be a while before people receive and install it, but I'm asking in advance. More than the throttle-on-demand, I'm interested in the claim that they are addressing the jerky start from zero.

Sounds like it still doesn't allow you to adjust your individual assist power levels as you can do with the Ride1Up. Plus, I prefer the wider tires and the higher top gear of the Ride1Up 700. But at least it's an improvement for Aventon over what they had.

While I'm not all too even slightly happy about the fact that they did this via selling a new bundle, it's probably just lack of technical competence to issue firmware upgrades. Fine... whatever. But seeing as it is sold out for the time being, I'd like to know if anybody on these forums has ordered on and seen if it has any effect. Yes, I accept that it will probably be a while before people receive and install it, but I'm asking in advance. More than the throttle-on-demand, I'm interested in the claim that they are addressing the jerky start from zero.
It is puzzling why this couldn't be addressed with a new firmware. Even more curious is Aventon's claim that TOD was disabled for "safety reasons", but yet the jerky PAS not a safety concern. I've read quite a few posts of folks falling/crashing due to the jerky starts with PAS.

I’ve ordered one and it is coming this week I will let you know how this all works out I’ll be reporting in the next few weeks

I prefer the wider tires and the higher top gear of the Ride1Up 700.
I thought both bikes had same 2.2" tire width.
Not being able to adjust PAS on Aventon is discouraging, given the abundance of Chinese displays and controllers with this feature.

I thought both bikes had same 2.2" tire width.
Not being able to adjust PAS on Aventon is discouraging, given the abundance of Chinese displays and controllers with this feature.
No, I have a Ride1Up 700. It has 2.4" wire tires on wide rims. The 500 series does have 2.2" tires. The LMT'D has 2.4" tires on narrower rims.

1618189510945.png

I have 20 miles on my new version Level which I received yesterday morning (04/13/2021). I never rode the first version and do know how intense its PAS is, but in Ver 2, I find it to be about right. You do have to be careful, and thus the reason I have said no to multiple people who have asked to try it. I want to get to know it's behaviors first before I do that. An example of where you have to be careful follows. I went to my local park today and rode around until I got to the end of the longest road. It's a small cul-de-sac which is just big enough to turn around in if you have only a little speed going, but if you aren't careful, the PAS can kick in and change your plan. I'm betting it's situations like this that end in crashes. I have found that the brake lever travel is such that just a little pull results in no braking, while at the same time disabling the motor. Like any tech - with its own preset actions - we need to adapt to it, because in the case of the Level controller, it seems there is no way to really adjust its preset parameters.

I have 20 miles on my new version Level which I received yesterday morning (04/13/2021). I never rode the first version and do know how intense its PAS is, but in Ver 2, I find it to be about right. You do have to be careful, and thus the reason I have said no to multiple people who have asked to try it. I want to get to know it's behaviors first before I do that. An example of where you have to be careful follows. I went to my local park today and rode around until I got to the end of the longest road. It's a small cul-de-sac which is just big enough to turn around in if you have only a little speed going, but if you aren't careful, the PAS can kick in and change your plan. I'm betting it's situations like this that end in crashes. I have found that the brake lever travel is such that just a little pull results in no braking, while at the same time disabling the motor. Like any tech - with its own preset actions - we need to adapt to it, because in the case of the Level controller, it seems there is no way to really adjust its preset parameters.
Yes, this has been discussed a few times with different bikes. I still have not gotten automatic about using my brake lever to cut the motor and I need to because just a half turn of the crank results in motor power coming on. And this is problematic if you're in rough or uneven ground or trying to miss a rock or root or s something. 👍

Back