Aventon Aventure Brake Pad Supply, Battery Connector Proprietary

Alriksy

The Aventon Aventure is a nice bike and worth the money but with a few important, potentially debilitating drawbacks. When I first got the bike, the front brake pads made a terrible scraping, grinding sound and never bedded properly. I tried sanding them, but it didn't help. Support said the pads are backordered. They are Bengal Ares 3, PH02 pads, but with a spring. Aventon support said that the calipers were magnetic (even though mine have a spring separator) so I ordered PH02 pads from Perfect Brake. Wrong! The calipers require a spring, they are not magnetic. Aventon corrected themselves (earler calipers were magnetic, they said) and sent pads and a new rotor from a bike that was returned (kudos for that), but they have no idea when pads with a spring will be available. The Bengal website no longer pictures the PH02 pads with a spring. Huh? The bike will be unusable when the pads wear out. Are owners going to have to replace the calipers with a more standard caliper when the pads wear out? This is a ticking time bomb for many new owners that I hope Aventon has a solution for soon.

Next, the battery connector from the charger to the battery is odd. It is very non-standard. It is a ST3 type, but not even like the ST3 connectors found on Grin Technologies ebikes.ca website. I have a cycle Satiator charger which is can be programmed to charge the battery to say, 80%, 90%, or 100% at programmable amperage rates. Down the road, should the current charger from Aventon fail, owners will be unable to charge the battery because the chargers are also out of stock. Aventon should have used a more standard barrel connector so other chargers could be used. Support told me they can only recommend using their charger, even if I could find a connector that would work with the Satiator. Really? A $300 charger vs their charger that probably cost $25 to source and is not available? Disappointing.

I am grateful that Aventon has been able to produce a fun bike at a reasonable price during a time when bike parts are difficult if not impossible to get, but it is short-sighted to not plan ahead and have extra brake pads and chargers on hand, nor is it customer friendly for Aventon to supply a battery with a proprietary connector. Aventon is selling bikes but painted themselves into a corner with regard to brakes and battery chargers. I did recommend the bike to others who made the purchase, but until Aventon address these issues, I will no longer recommend this purchase.

The Aventon Aventure is a nice bike and worth the money but with a few important, potentially debilitating drawbacks. When I first got the bike, the front brake pads made a terrible scraping, grinding sound and never bedded properly. I tried sanding them, but it didn't help. Support said the pads are backordered. They are Bengal Ares 3, PH02 pads, but with a spring. Aventon support said that the calipers were magnetic (even though mine have a spring separator) so I ordered PH02 pads from Perfect Brake. Wrong! The calipers require a spring, they are not magnetic. Aventon corrected themselves (earler calipers were magnetic, they said) and sent pads and a new rotor from a bike that was returned (kudos for that), but they have no idea when pads with a spring will be available. The Bengal website no longer pictures the PH02 pads with a spring. Huh? The bike will be unusable when the pads wear out. Are owners going to have to replace the calipers with a more standard caliper when the pads wear out? This is a ticking time bomb for many new owners that I hope Aventon has a solution for soon.

Next, the battery connector from the charger to the battery is odd. It is very non-standard. It is a ST3 type, but not even like the ST3 connectors found on Grin Technologies ebikes.ca website. I have a cycle Satiator charger which is can be programmed to charge the battery to say, 80%, 90%, or 100% at programmable amperage rates. Down the road, should the current charger from Aventon fail, owners will be unable to charge the battery because the chargers are also out of stock. Aventon should have used a more standard barrel connector so other chargers could be used. Support told me they can only recommend using their charger, even if I could find a connector that would work with the Satiator. Really? A $300 charger vs their charger that probably cost $25 to source and is not available? Disappointing.

I am grateful that Aventon has been able to produce a fun bike at a reasonable price during a time when bike parts are difficult if not impossible to get, but it is short-sighted to not plan ahead and have extra brake pads and chargers on hand, nor is it customer friendly for Aventon to supply a battery with a proprietary connector. Aventon is selling bikes but painted themselves into a corner with regard to brakes and battery chargers. I did recommend the bike to others who made the purchase, but until Aventon address these issues, I will no longer recommend this purchase.
I have an Aventon and my charger went out. My dealer (Erik's Bike shop, Eden Prairie, Mn) replaced it for me no problem. However to head off any future problems when out of warranty, I bought another charger off Amazon, brand name Abakoo, for $24.95. I did use it to make sure it works and it works fine.

I have an Aventon and my charger went out. My dealer (Erik's Bike shop, Eden Prairie, Mn) replaced it for me no problem. However to head off any future problems when out of warranty, I bought another charger off Amazon, brand name Abakoo, for $24.95. I did use it to make sure it works and it works fine.
Is the bike the Adventure model? The plug must look exactly like this. ebike.ca ST3 plug is close, but won't fit. Barrel connectors are more common. As far as I can tell, chargers with this plug do not exist outside of Aventon's charger for the Adventure as supplied. MDA is the company that Aventon is using (see link ahead). The printing on the back side of the charger model calls for a BC or barrel connector even though that is not what is on the charger. It is impossible to view the connectors available as options (large view not possible), so I don't know if this connector is even on their website. http://www.mdacharger.com/charger48v/92.html. Perhaps this information will be helpful to others in some way.

Attachments

• IMG_3118 copy.jpg
    IMG_3118 copy.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 2,348
Last edited:
Is the bike the Adventure model? The plug must look exactly like this. ebike.ca ST3 plug is close, but won't fit. Barrel connectors are more common. As far as I can tell, chargers with this plug do not exist outside of Aventon's charger for the Adventure as supplied. MDA is the company that Aventon is using (see link ahead). The printing on the back side of the charger model calls for a BC or barrel connector even though that is not what is on the charger. It is impossible to view the connectors available as options (large view not possible), so I don't know if this connector is even on their website. http://www.mdacharger.com/charger48v/92.html. Perhaps this information will be helpful to others in some way.
I checked and I do NOT have the same plug as you since I have a Level and not the Adventure model.

Thank you

I have the Aventure Step Through ebike and I asked customer service:
"What brake pads are used in the Aventon Aventure Step Through? I would like to replace them because the front brakes are still squealing."
They offered some tips for cleaning the pads and offered to sell the Zoom pads as a special order. I did find out on a different forum that my brakes are Zoom HB875E.

Sorry, I can't help with the Zoom brakes. My Adventure has Bengal brakes and the replacement pads, with the clip, non-magnetic style are nowhere to be found. I contacted Aventon support for the 4th or 5th time and indicated that myself and others with the Bengal Ares 3 brake of this style cannot replace the brake pads and the bike will soon become unrideable unless the calipers and all are replaced at the buyer's expense. The responses I got from Aventon support over the past 5 months failed to address specific questions I asked, failed to offer adequate solutions to problems, or their reply missed the point of the question entirely. In my opinion, Aventon support personnel don't know what they are doing. After five months of failed support, I have concluded that Aventon abandons customers after the purchase. If anyone is thinking of buying an Aventon bike, my advice is, "Do Not Buy," avoid them.

Do you have their contact so I can also purchase one?

This is the pin-out for the Aventon Aventure battery charging port. The sense wire measured 2.44v; not sure how it is used.
However, connecting the Grin Satiator charger to the positive and negative then holding the Satiator’s button to Force charging works perfectly fine. For testing I used alligator jumper wires to paper clips that were inserted into the charging port terminals and it charged perfectly. In the future I will probable chop off the connector from the Aventon charger and terminate it with male and female automotive weatherproof quick connectors so I can plug it into either the Satiator or Aventon charger.
93DAAA31-0C69-485B-A797-46D8D694C951.jpeg

Back