Availability update...

Larry Pizzi

For everyone that has been patiently awaiting the arrival of the first full production Haibikes with the all-new Bosch Gen2 Performance System, engineered exclusively to the North American standards, good news! Your wait is almost over.

The very first containers of the 2015 Haibikes arrive into the port of Los Angles this week and will be in our distribution center the following week. First shipments include the two of the most popular models, the RX 29er and RX FS, in all sizes and colors. The other five models including the AMT RX and AMT Pro, the Nduro, the Trekking and Supperace, will all continue to flow in through the end of July and into early August.

We have many pre-booked orders to fill which means that our Dealers will be receiving their bikes shortly so that you can arrange a demo ride at a dealer near you very soon.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at [email protected].

Thanks!
-Larry

Do any of the fs mountain bikes top 20 mph??
I passed 20mph on the demo bikes at the "Charged Up" event last month but the motor doesn't assist. Given the 10 speed cassette, there's a physical pedaling limitation to speeds much higher than 25mph but the motor does freewheel so at least you don't get any cogging (like the drag you might from a gearless motor).

I passed 20mph on the demo bikes at the "Charged Up" event last month but the motor doesn't assist. Given the 10 speed cassette, there's a physical pedaling limitation to speeds much higher than 25mph but the motor does freewheel so at least you don't get any cogging (like the drag you might from a gearless motor).
Oh for sure you can pedal it faster the 20 mph (and descending) but the motor assist is designed to cut off at 20.
@Vern - If you want a fully that works like a speed pedalec, don't tell anyone but we are introducing a FS version of the Peak that will be available in the September time frame.

Oh for sure you can pedal it faster the 20 mph (and descending) but the motor assist is designed to cut off at 20.
@Vern - If you want a fully that works like a speed pedalec, don't tell anyone but we are introducing a FS version of the Peak that will be available in the September time frame.
Ha! The design looks great, I saw Pete's update from Sea Otter Classic... Here's some unsolicited suggestions Larry:
  • Add an on/off switch for the twist throttle so it won't interrupt mountain riding if the user grips the bars tightly during a turn or tense moment
  • If you've already put the throttle on the bike, let it reach 20mph without cutting out (the existing Peak hits 6mph and then cuts out unless you're pedaling)
  • Offer a Medium and Large frame size (just like with the existing hardtail Peak)
  • Make the display panel removable (maybe like the Bosch system with a set screw)
  • I was going to say water bottle braze ons but given the battery placement and full suspension I doubt there's room :)
Excited to see this thing... I enjoyed the existing Peak and am glad there's an alternative centerdrive being worked on in the space.

Larry,
Can you explain what is the RX version of the Peak? How does it differ from the FS RX?

@Widman , The Peak DS (dual suspension - which is essentially the difference) will function the same as the Peak (hard tail) with the exception of a few nice upgrades that we are also making on the 2015 Peak. See Court's review: http://electricbikereview.com/izip/e3-peak/

In contrast to the Haibike which is a pedal-assist only bike, the assist cuts off at 20 mph. With the IZIP, the motor continues to support 20 mph and you can layer on human power to go faster. The IZIP also has throttle override which will add power as long as you are pedaling, up to 20 mph.

Ha! The design looks great, I saw Pete's update from Sea Otter Classic... Here's some unsolicited suggestions Larry:
  • Add an on/off switch for the twist throttle so it won't interrupt mountain riding if the user grips the bars tightly during a turn or tense moment
  • If you've already put the throttle on the bike, let it reach 20mph without cutting out (the existing Peak hits 6mph and then cuts out unless you're pedaling)
  • Offer a Medium and Large frame size (just like with the existing hardtail Peak)
  • Make the display panel removable (maybe like the Bosch system with a set screw)
  • I was going to say water bottle braze ons but given the battery placement and full suspension I doubt there's room :)
Excited to see this thing... I enjoyed the existing Peak and am glad there's an alternative centerdrive being worked on in the space.
I just read Pete's review of the Peak on Electric Bike Report. The one think that worries me about a center drive is the stress on the gears. Pete mentioned that in the higher modes of assist, 3 and 4, he experienced some rough up-shifts. Perhaps that is something that can be addressed as well. I really want my next bike to be a full suspension 48 volt that easily tops 28 mph so that I can use it for commuting and trail riding. Oh and it has to be affordable too!! SO far the FS Peak is the only thing that I have read about that meets this criteria.

@Vern - The chain is the primary component with a center motor system that requires reinforcement and the manufactures are supplying socially engineered chains that are designed to wear better under the extra forces of a motor plus human power. The rough shifts can be avoided by backing off on your pedal force (human power) as you shift. There are so many advantages to center motors Vs. hub motors and so few disadvantages (IMHO).

I definitely look forward to trying out that FS Peak or other center drive bikes to compare them.

I just read Pete's review of the Peak on Electric Bike Report. The one think that worries me about a center drive is the stress on the gears. Pete mentioned that in the higher modes of assist, 3 and 4, he experienced some rough up-shifts. Perhaps that is something that can be addressed as well. I really want my next bike to be a full suspension 48 volt that easily tops 28 mph so that I can use it for commuting and trail riding. Oh and it has to be affordable too!! SO far the FS Peak is the only thing that I have read about that meets this criteria.

I agree with vern. You will sell so many of these kind of bikes.. if it's cheap enough to talk some of my hard headed friends into trail riding on weekends and running to the store occasionally. Who can you talk into spending 4k on a bicycle wit a motor. Just saying -_-

I just wanted to update this post as most of the Haibike models are now available aside from the Superrace and the Nduro, those will be available in August. We can't keep them in stock.

I can attest to the build quality on these bikes, they are worth every penny. They are spec'd out with quality parts that all work really well together. If you get to ride one of these in a trail there will be no need to talk anyone into anything, you'll just be talking about what trail you'll be conquering next :D

I personally don't really feel that the rough up shift that has been mentioned, is a specific issue. I think that using the system just needs an adjustment from the rider, in understanding how the system works. The best way to up shift, is to momentarily pause the pedal stroke, which in turn appears to relieve any pressure, and very slick changes can then be made. After a while you don't even really notice that you are doing it, and it becomes second nature. If Haibike ever introduce an electronic shift system, I don't think that the issue would possibly ever arise.

edit... Sorry Larry, I had stupidly missed that you have already covered the above.

DOA

So I think Haibike gets high grades for building a great bike. But how about Quality Control and Customer Service?

I ordered my Xduro FS RX 27.5 a couple of weeks ago and have been anxiously waiting until today to pick it up. I was so psyched about getting my new bike.

I picked up the bike today. I was short on time so I took a quick ride down the alley and back since my local dealer assured me that he had tested it. Got an error code 503 but my local dealer said it was just a glitch and shouldn't happen again.

Got home ready to enjoy my nice, new, EXPENSIVE, bike. Alas, more error codes, very erratic peddle assist; basically unusable. My mistake for accepting the bike in the first place.

I can't possibly explain the disappointment of waiting all this time, paying so much money, and sitting at home with a very pretty paper weight.

So I think Haibike gets an F for quality control. The factory put the chains on backwards, and I was given an untested product, Dead On Arrival.

The question is what grade do they get for customer service? How will they handle this? Will they stand behind their product?

As of now, I have to wait until Monday just to find out what's wrong and what they will do about it.

So disappointing......and unacceptable.
Dear Nader,

Error 503 is a speed sensor error which explains the erratic assist. You or the dealer just need to realign the speed sensor and you should be good to ride.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Can you please tell me who the dealer is so that we can use this as a tech training example? As you know, these are brand new in the marketplace and over the next few months, dealers will be trained and certified on the Bosch system.

Ideally, the bike should be close to ready to go right out of the box, but it should at least be fine tuned and test ridden prior to release. If the wheel was spun on the repair stand the error should have popped up (assuming the spoke magnet was shifted during shipping).

It's upsetting to me that you weren't even able to ride his bike once, but the good news is that the fix is really simple.

Please let me know how you make out and rest-assured, we've got you covered, even late on a Friday night.

Best regards,
-Larry

Dear Nader,

Error 503 is a speed sensor error which explains the erratic assist. You or the dealer just need to realign the speed sensor and you should be good to ride.

Can you please tell me who the dealer is so that we can use this as a tech training example? As you know, these are brand new in the marketplace and over the next few months, dealers will be trained and certified on the Bosch system.

Ideally, the bike should be close to ready to go right out of the box, but it should at least be fine tuned and test ridden prior to release. If the wheel was spun on the repair stand the error should have popped up (assuming the spoke magnet was shifted during shipping).

It's upsetting to me that you weren't even able to ride his bike once, but the good news is that the fix is really simple.

Please let me know how you make out and rest-assured, we've got you covered, even late on a Friday night.

Best regards,
-Larry

So Currie / Haibike get an A+ for customer service :). Larry replied to me within 5 minutes on a Friday night! And I was able to correct the problem.

Back