Attaching a trailer to my ebike.

steve mercier

I have a trailer with this attachment that can accomodate up to 12 mm quick release axles but my ebike has 15 mm quick releases. Any suggestions ( aside from selling the trailer)?
1585781628947.png

I am with Mike. a 15mm carbide drill to bore it then file and smooth and I would think you're OK. I am guessing from the look that the full width of that joiner section is 24mm or so and you would go from 12 mm of "meat" to 9mm of "meat" - 25% less. Not bad.

I am with Mike. a 15mm carbide drill to bore it then file and smooth and I would think you're OK. I am guessing from the look that the full width of that joiner section is 24mm or so and you would go from 12 mm of "meat" to 9mm of "meat" - 25% less. Not bad.
Carbide? Like a masonry drill? Why not a traditional steel twist drill? Just put the piece in a vise or clamp it down. You don't want to break of severe a finger by making a helicopter out of the piece.

Right. Steel should work. I am assuming the whole unit is tight within a big vice before you do anything....and the process will be tricky .... starting slowly to get the bit working on true center and then speeding up. Here's the vice type I was thinking of:
viceGrip.jpg

Last edited:
My first thought was also drilling it out but I'd want to know what you're planning on hauling. I assume it's a Burley steel hitch?

Did you contact the trailer maker to see if they carry a 15mm.
I would exhaust replacement part searches before I started drilling on that piece. That's gonna be a bear if you don't have a drill press with a vice.

Do you know anybody that has access to a mill?

Last edited:
I would exhaust replacement part searches before I started drilling on that piece. That's gonna be a bear if you don't have a drill press with a vice.

possibly my son does, thanks, I will ask him.

That is another good idea which I had not thought of There are many good ideas here, thank you folks!

Last edited:
A file or dremmel won't go well!

Worse case, if you can't get your son to do it, I can do it for you when I get back to work in a couple months.

A file or dremmel won't go well!

Worse case, if you can't get your son to do it, I can do it for you when I get back to work in a couple months.
Nice offer thank you my friend! I hope to get it done soon though becasue we have lent our car to my daughter so she does not have to use public transit right now and we need the trailer to haul groceries

I have a Thule cross chariot trailer that uses a very similar attachment. My bike also uses 15mm bolts on the rear hub. I had to bore out the hole using a power drill and appropriate drill bit. This video helped a lot with figuring things out.

And here us the drill bit I bought from home depot.

Here is the end result:

20200331_144617.jpg

P.s. It took a long time to drill out using this method due to 2 problems. The Thule adapter was very very thick and my power tool had very little torque and speed....so be prepared to spend a while with this.

I have a Thule cross chariot trailer that uses a very similar attachment. My bike also uses 15mm bolts on the rear hub. I had to bore out the hole using a power drill and appropriate drill bit. This video helped a lot with figuring things out.

And here us the drill bit I bought from home depot.

Here is the end result:

View attachment 48868
Cool thank you !

Back