Atom Lynx 6 27.5 Pro

bikeman242

Hi all,

Just had a couple questions about this bike - Atom Lynx 6 27.5 Pro (NOT the newer Atom X Lynx)

Unfortunately it is not available locally to take for a test ride. I have tested the newer Atom X Lynx 5 27.5+ Pro, in a medium, and the fit seemed to be fine. I am 67.5" tall with a 29.5" pant size. I was just able to standover the Atom X Lynx 5 27.5+ Pro with an inch to spare. How does the standover height compare on the Atom Lynx 6 27.5 Pro?

Also, would I be able to equip the bike with some kind of adjustable step to bring the handlebars upward and in, to give myself a more upright seating position? Not sure if this is possible with the wiring.

Any general feedback about this bike?

Thanks!

I also looked at the Atom Lynx 6 27.5 Pro (at Lenny's LBS) and decided to go with the BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 PW-X.

Regarding your bike fit, it is easy to add a stem riser and angled stem to get a more upright position.

You can also go with an adjustable stem... I prefer the fixed riser/stem as it does not loosen over time.

Attachments

• 41GwyqjSO+L.jpg
    41GwyqjSO+L.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 562
  • 61b6hzle0+L._SL1500_.jpg
    61b6hzle0+L._SL1500_.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 583
FlatSix911,
I have also been looking at these two bikes. What was your rationale for choosing the BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 PW-X over the Atom Lynx 6 27.5 Pro?

Curious as well. Looks like the former is Brose drive, the latter is Yamaha.
$700 price difference, the former less.

That would be a tough choice for me - the former looks more integrated, bigger battery.
The yammer-drive is more $$. Not sure what else more you're getting. The '6' looks a little more slack - more for downhill.

Both are great looking eMTB'S. 👍

I went for the Rebel Lynx because the Yamaha motor is known for having much greater reliability over the Brose. It is an awesome bike. There is also a lot more standover on the Rebel Lynx vs. the Atom Lynx 6, and the battery is much easier to get on and off the bike.

I also noticed when i test rode the brose T motor found on BH bikes that hills really destroys the battery. Not the case with the yamaha.

Bikeman242,
Thanks for your feedback. I already have a bike with the Yamaha PWX system and have been very happy so far. Now I'm looking for a bike for my wife. The problems with brose has scared me away a bit. I also think I could interchange batteries if I went with the Lynx. Thanks for solidifying my findings.

FlatSix911,
I have also been looking at these two bikes. What was your rationale for choosing the BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 PW-X over the Atom Lynx 6 27.5 Pro?
Curious as well. Looks like the former is Brose drive, the latter is Yamaha.$700 price difference, the former less.
That would be a tough choice for me - the former looks more integrated, bigger battery.
The yammer-drive is more $$. Not sure what else more you're getting. The '6' looks a little more slack - more for downhill.
Both are great looking eMTB'S. 👍

Here are a few additional pro/con factors to consider when comparing the BH models... Atom Lynx 6 vs. Rebel Lynx 5.5 ;)

1. The Atom Lynx 6 Pro has the best looking integrated battery design, however, it is limited to 16 mph on the Euro version that Lenny sells.
The Standover height appears to be higher than the Atom X or Rebel Lynx.

The Rebel Lynx 5.5 PW-X does not have a fully integrated battery, however, it has the best combination of features and design.
The control panel is excellent and full-featured including USB, Bluetooth, Cadence, etc.

I spoke to a lot of shops who had experienced issues with the Brose belt-drive motors on the Atom bikes and really liked the reliability and power of the Yamaha PW-X motor on the Rebel. I also had a chance to ride the Rebel Lynx at a local shop and was impressed.

Regarding specific features:
  • The Rebel has a better display design and more functions including USB, Bluetooth, Cadence, etc.
  • The Rebel has a bar-mounted metal/rubber display vs the Atom with a stem mounted plastic display.
  • The Atom has a higher standover front shock with longer 160mm travel vs the Rebel with 140mm travel.
  • The Rebel has larger tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic 27.5 x 2.8 vs. the Atom with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 27.5 x 2.6
  • The Atom has 90nm of Torque vs the Rebel with 80nm... both are more than required.
  • The Atom has a larger 600kWh battery vs the Rebel 500kWh battery for more range.
  • The Atom motor uses a quiet belt drive but requires more maintenance for proper belt tension.

Last edited:
Obviously, I would prefer the yamaha drive since that's what I'm familiar with.

In comparison to Giant TranceE-pro - can you give a perspective in comparing it to Rebel? I think they're similarly priced. I'm pretty sure I could get a Trance OTD for at or low four-thousands.

In comparison to Giant TranceE-pro - can you give a perspective in comparing it to Rebel?
I think they're similarly priced. I'm pretty sure I could get a Trance OTD for at or low four-thousands.

Regarding pricing, I believe that the Rebel was offered for around $2K from Lenny's during the holidays last year.

I am not familiar with the Giant Trance E-pro, however the specs look similar to the BH Rebel Lynx 5.5.

In comparison to Giant TranceE-pro - can you give a perspective in comparing it to Rebel? I think they're similarly priced. I'm pretty sure I could get a Trance OTD for at or low four-thousands.

I test rode the Trance E+1 Pro (2019) and it was a really nice bike. It felt really similar to the Rebel Lynx that I have now. Maybe overall the Giant was a little nicer in spec, but the Rebel Lynx is also really nice.
Giant tunes the Yamaha PWX Motor and calls it the SyncDrive Pro. It is really similar, I found it a little quieter. The battery is also integrated, which is nice cosmetically but also may make it more difficult to get replacements/spares down the road. Also, if you ever want to fly/travel with your bike, you have a better chance renting the external Yamaha battery on the BH Rebel Lynx since they are somewhat more common.

If you can save two grand on the Rebel Lynx vs. the Trance, I think its a no-brainer. You can spend that two thousand and get two extra 500Wh batteries and $500 worth of accessories.

I test rode the Trance E+1 Pro (2019) and it was a really nice bike. It felt really similar to the Rebel Lynx that I have now. Maybe overall the Giant was a little nicer in spec, but the Rebel Lynx is also really nice.
Giant tunes the Yamaha PWX Motor and calls it the SyncDrive Pro. It is really similar, I found it a little quieter. The battery is also integrated, which is nice cosmetically but also may make it more difficult to get replacements/spares down the road. Also, if you ever want to fly/travel with your bike, you have a better chance renting the external Yamaha battery on the BH Rebel Lynx since they are somewhat more common.

If you can save two grand on the Rebel Lynx vs. the Trance, I think its a no-brainer. You can spend that two thousand and get two extra 500Wh batteries and $500 worth of accessories.

Excellent.

Save two-grand...whut?? o_O I saw the Rebel listed at BH USA for $4999.
I think the Giant lists at $4499

I have a contact at Crazy-Lennys in Wisconsin. (Oh, now I see the post about holiday sales. I'll inquire with them)

EDIT: My LBS that sold me the Explore said to get the E+3, and not the Stance. Something about suspension components, overall spec. But it's getting close to Turbo-Levo territory - and everybody raves about that one.

TranceE+3

MY20TranceE+3Pro_ColorA.jpg

Here is the link to the BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 at Lenny's for $2,480 ;)

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

1580441151881.png

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
The Atom Lynx 6 Pro has the best looking integrated battery design, however, it is limited to 16 mph on the Euro version that Lenny sells.

Did you confirm this with Lenny's? Would be surprised if BH sold this bike in the US with 16 mph speed limit.

I also noticed when i test rode the brose T motor found on BH bikes that hills really destroys the battery. Not the case with the yamaha.

Do these have the Brose T? Court's review on a lower spec version indicate 90 Nm torque as does the following link. That sounds more like a Brose S.

I am skeptical about the hill performance and battery comparison. Not that I don't believe you didn't experience this on a test ride, but hills pretty much destroy the battery of any ebike I've ridden. I don't think Specialized would use Brose motors if they had such poor performance.

I recently bought an Atom Lynx 6 27.5 Pro from CL's, when they had their previous discount (50% =$2,299, plus they had messed up my initial order so I talked them in to free shipping :)).

I've only had it for a couple of weeks, and have less than 150 miles on it, so I can't speak to the longevity/reliability of the Brose motor.

It is definitely limited at its top end power assist at or around 20 mph, not 16 mph.

Bike was really easy to set up with the air suspension, but so far I've only taken it for test rides on the street, not yet on the trails. Really smooth and quiet and definitely seems very well built.

P.S.: Gearing is definitely biased LOW for climbing. Easy to run out of high gears on the street.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Atom Lynx 6 Pro... can you post a few photos of your new ride when you have a chance? ;)

Here she is resting in the garage. Anything specific you want to see? I can take more pics tomorrow when it gets light.

i-STtWxBW-X4.jpg

Back