Assist levels on the Bulls Estream Evo AM - Brose S system

SkiKiteBike

Got about 70 off road miles on my bike. Anyone else think the first level of assist is a little too much and the 2nd level is barely any different from the first?
The third level is almost embarrassing in how strong it is and the 4, the bike practically pedals itself. It would be great if there were more of a gap between level 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are good like they are. Wish we had a way to fine tune the power like some Brose Bikes do

Interesting!! I am a relatively new (2months and probably 4 - 500km) owner of a Scott Aspect with the S motor and 11 speed cassette. I find Level 1 to be too underpowered, Level 2 is perfect for me - is like riding an unpowered bike with a strong tail wind, and I use it 95% of the time. I agree with you on Levels 3 and 4 - great for fun riding and on hills but the battery drain is significant. I am unaware of any ability to fine tune the power levels - would be very keen to learn if this is a reality?? There appears to be very limited info anywhere on the detail of the Brose control technology as there was no Brose specific manual data (other than a bit on the battery and charging) with the bike. There were probably 200 pages of generic rubbish and nothing bike specific.

I believe that Brose leaves the motor software programming - including different levels' relative output - to the bike manufacturers. Specialized has a "Ground Control" app that allows riders to fine-tune the levels to some extent, but I've not heard of that from other mfrs. That may be a question for the dealer you bought the bike from...

Shimano e8000 motors, on the other hand, have the eTube Project app that works on their motors regardless of bike brand. It allows riders to make minor adjustments to the "Trail" and "Boost" assist levels, but personally, I find the differences to be insignificant.

That is good to know. Personally I am happy with the power assist levels on my bike. For me level 2 gives the right balance for fun plus still getting a workout on moderate grade trails.

That is good to know. Personally I am happy with the power assist levels on my bike. For me level 2 gives the right balance for fun plus still getting a workout on moderate grade trails.

What bike do you have? On my AM3 w Brose S, my heart rate on level 1 or 2 does not really get where I'd like it - unless I'm going up a pretty steep hill. Going faster isn't really an option with the rough trails we have around here (and I really don't like going fast through the woods most of the time).

What bike do you have? On my AM3 w Brose S, my heart rate on level 1 or 2 does not really get where I'd like it - unless I'm going up a pretty steep hill. Going faster isn't really an option with the rough trails we have around here (and I really don't like going fast through the woods most of the time).

Dealers have access to Brose diagnostic software (the same portal is also used to update the bikes firmware) and you can customize the level of assist you enjoy for each setting. Initially, the bikes had only 3 Assist modes but after the update, it's 4.

It can be done at the dealer level for all Bulls bikes. So, it's totally possible to customize the power levels.

@ SkiKiteBike & Ravi K. I have a Scott Aspect 10. Here In NZ my bike came with Shimano XT derailleur 11spd 42T / 11T and a 34T front chain ring. I have changed the Front CR to 38T as I was only using the 4 highest gears. I lost power one day when the battery shorted out in torrential rain. I was impressed at how easily I got back home without assist. I did get down to the 42T on a couple of relatively steep hills. I have also moved the speed sensor to sense crank cadence which means the Brose control thinks you are going approx 50% real speed so you never have cut out (unless you could pedal at more than 60kph) which isn't me! BUT on the road I do like to cruise at a true 25 - 35kph. Problem with the stock bike was the cutout at 25kph on the controller was actually only 22-23 kph ( I have a gps speedo as well) which means the Brose motor is rarely giving you more than 50% of its capacity. I now know that there is one guy in NZ set up to service Brose motor issues (individual dealers have very limited capability in my area). He can vary power settings and cutout speed as Ravi indicated. He is located central NI so I have no idea how he services customers 1000 km away in lower SI.

Brose Tuning.jpg

Thanks Ravi. Looks like you have access to the software. BUT how does any owner get access to the software, (here in NZ we would have to deliver our bike to a service person hundreds of kms away). Also how do you hook the controller up to the software etc. Unless Brose make this info accessible and usable they are going to lose market share. My understanding is Scott have already dropped Brose motors this year in favour of Shimano. As I'm an engineer I did a lot of research before buying my bike and I assessed the Brose S motor as the best available particularly as the motor will easily provide assistance up to 45 kph which is what I want from an Ebike. I figured out the sensor trick before buying my bike.

Thanks Ravi. Looks like you have access to the software. BUT how does any owner get access to the software, (here in NZ we would have to deliver our bike to a service person hundreds of kms away). Also how do you hook the controller up to the software etc. Unless Brose make this info accessible and usable they are going to lose market share. My understanding is Scott have already dropped Brose motors this year in favour of Shimano. As I'm an engineer I did a lot of research before buying my bike and I assessed the Brose S motor as the best available particularly as the motor will easily provide assistance up to 45 kph which is what I want from an Ebike. I figured out the sensor trick before buying my bike.

longleypete-You mention 'sensor trick' Are you referring to a speed delimiter or something similar? Curious.

Back