Assembling my bike

Operator7

Hi everyone!

Well I finally received my bike yesterday evening... at first I was pretty intimidated, but Evan at Lenny's was awesome enough to send me a video conference call, to help explain how to attach the front wheel and handlebars, and then I felt much more confident. There is a ton of materials, including the owner's handbook, another couple manuals of some sort, a manual for the front shock, and then another secondary handbook of some sort. I plan to read through all of this, because I want to be certain I set things up correctly, but thought I would create this thread in order to get experienced feedback from others, and maybe any important tips that only come from experience. Plus I thought it might be helpful for future eflow purchasers. So several questions:

1) The seat post is removed for shipping (of course), but the bottom part inside the bike where the seat post connects to, is all the way at the bottom. Is this normal? How to raise that part up? Anything else I should know here?

2) I played with attaching the pedals before closing shop last night, and when I tried to manually screw the pedals in, the threading seemed to be very resistant to screwing the pedal in. Is this normal? Should I add oil of any type? What kind of oil do you use on parts like this?

Also a side question on pedals - are they pretty much universal? I plan to maybe purchase some different pedals, and am wondering if they all will pretty much fit, or if there are different size screws?

3) The front shock - there is a manual for this which I have not yet had the chance to read, but just thought I'd ask if anyone thinks they could give a quick and dirty rundown on it?

4) There seem to be two sets of shifters on each side of the handlebars. Why?

Also, I plan to purchase some different handles. Is this possible, with a throttle, or am I only able to replace the left handle? I am planning to purchase from REI, hoping that they will assist in installing the new handles, but is there anything I should tell them so that they don't mess anything up?

5) The front wheel and the quick release - I read a bit on this last night, but haven't studied it thoroughly yet, but read something about tightening the quick release while it is in the open position, and then using my hand to close it, and that it should be hard enough to close where it leaves an imprint on my hand, otherwise it is not tight enough. Am I understanding this correctly? Anyone care to add anything to that? I put the two springs on the quick release clamp on either side, but then it seemed odd to rest the fork on top of these two springs. Evan from the shop said this is how it's supposed to be, but just strikes me as weird. At any rate, the wheel is attached and the disc seems to be lined up with the "catepillar" (can't remember the word for this part - the black thing that connects to the disc to brake the bike). Are there any adjustments to make here?

6) Is there anything else that I should adjust, tighten or lube on the bike, or any other things to check before I take this for a first ride?

Side note - I purchased a Louis Garneau trunk bag. It doesn't really show in my picture, but the bag has a thin red lining that exactly matches the red trim lining of the bike. It looks as if this bag was designed to match the bike. I highly recommend this for looks purposes, for anyone who has the eflow with red trim. Also, I got a Timbuk2 top tube bag. It doesn't fit perfectly, because the top tube of the eflow is wider than a regular bike, but it fits well enough, I think. At any rate, this again matches pretty nicely with the colors of the bike, and it has a nice pouch on the top where you can insert your smartphone (will not fit large size smartphones though!). I think this seems a pretty handy dandy little bag, and it also looks nice. I plan to purchase a JBL Flip speaker, and use a bag mount to the handlebars. With this bag, I can easily wire my iphone to the speaker. It could also be connected via blutooth, but wired connection gets better sound.

I plan to try to read more of the manuals while at the office today (on break of course ;-) ), and when I get home I plan to work on assembling and adjusting the bike more, and hopefully will be able to take it for a ride tonight, but I don't want to rush, because I want to make sure everything is right.

Attachments

• assembly.jpg
    assembly.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 539
One other thing - the water bottle mounts seem to be too low. Is it just me? The current water bottle holder is useless, and so I want to buy one of those adjustable ones, in order to hold a large bottle, but the mounts are so low on the down tube that it seems any decent size water bottle holder would hit the seat tube?!

Pedals...left side crank and pedal are left hand thread (non standard). right side crank and pedal are right hand thread. They are not interchangeable. They should also be clearly marked "R" and "L". Do not try to forcefully thread the pedal, if it doesn't go easily you probably have mismatched crank and pedal.

Court J.

Quick Release uses an offset cam to apply final pressure to the front fork to hold the wheel in place when closed. The manual is reasonable. Basically when you close the release you should feel more resistance as you close it and the last portion of closing should be fairly hard. Watch a youtube video if you want to get some idea of how tight it should be.

Court J.

Pedals...left side crank and pedal are left hand thread (non standard). right side crank and pedal are right hand thread. They are not interchangeable. They should also be clearly marked "R" and "L". Do not try to forcefully thread the pedal, if it doesn't go easily you probably have mismatched crank and pedal.

Court J.

Thank you - I did not know this!!

Quick Release uses an offset cam to apply final pressure to the front fork to hold the wheel in place when closed. The manual is reasonable. Basically when you close the release you should feel more resistance as you close it and the last portion of closing should be fairly hard. Watch a youtube video if you want to get some idea of how tight it should be.

Court J.

That video helps a lot, thank you!

It is spring loaded. Check for a release at the bottom or try sticking a broom stick down there to see if it comes up.

Back