Article on the Mighty Bafang Ultra

There are legal interpretations of the federal law that conclude that the federal ebike regulations do not limit assist speed so long as the rider is pedaling (there is a clear assist limit under throttle only) so I have no idea how People for Bikes can advocate Class 1 & 3 state regulations that are not consistent with the federal regulation.

They are a lobbying organization funded by the bike companies, they only want to make it easier to sell ebikes, they aren't concerned with usage, or what is the most logical way to make it all work.

I doubt anyone will challenge the state vs federal law thing because no one cares enough, no one riding and no one enforcing.

They are a lobbying organization funded by the bike companies, they only want to make it easier to sell ebikes, they aren't concerned with usage, or what is the most logical way to make it all work.

I doubt anyone will challenge the state vs federal law thing because no one cares enough, no one riding and no one enforcing.

I think at some point there will be a case that addresses the CPSC federal definition vs the 3-class definitions or alternative state law. Someone will have a bike taken by police due to a ?speeding? ticket or non-compliance with state definition while being compliant at to the federal definition. Seems virtually certain to me as some bike manufacturers are selling bikes that have modes that do not comply with the 3-class regulations that will inevitably be utilized by some riders. I have an Izip Express that is federally compliant (assists past 28mph but is a pedelec) but not state compliant in Colorado that I ride (this model was originally sold to some police organizations so would be a very interesting court case).

Another bike with the Ultra:

www.wattwagons.com

Ti frame is a nice touch as well as the belt drive, rack and fenders for commuting but not sure about the three speed hub having enough gear range for keeping your desired cadence/input consistent.

I am in touch with the owner of this small operation. We have had long discussions and currently in the process of refining the specs.

Some highlights:

Clean Ti frame
Bafang-ultra limited to 750W federal limit and 28mph in PAS.
Rohloff hub - not the E-14, just the manual
Gates carbon drive
1300 Whr custom battery by EM3ev with 2 yr warranty and smart BMS.
Cycle satiator charger
Tubus racks
Front and rear E-bike specific lights.
Schwalbe Supermoto-X tires
Tektro 4-piston brakes

Will be a kickass commuter! :)

Back