Arroyo Loss of power problem

heatlamp

2018 Arroyo, about 1k miles. 3 times now in the 50 or so rides I've taken on this bike I've experienced a sudden loss of all power: the display stays lit, but the battery loses all power and the display power setting jumps to off. Attempts to start the motor (increment the power setting) fail, the display power setting moves up but immediately resets to zero and the motor does not engage. In all three cases (so far) the situation corrects itself in something like 15 minutes. When it does fix itself, the display blinks like some kind of reset has been done, and everything goes back to working normally.

In every case there has been at least two bars of battery power remaining.

Obviously unsettling, I can't be sure if the reset will ever happen, and I could well be stranded. I suspect dealers would need to reproduce the problem prior to attempting a fix, unlikely at this point.

Anyone seen this?

Thanks, Jim

I think Gazelle and Bosch are large companies with good dealer support. Sound weird enough that you should get it checked. Good engineering does a fail-safe. The fact that you can get your bike working again makes it look like the Bosch system thinks something is wrong.

Just a report to future thread visitors. My wife now happily rides the 2019 Arroyo and encountered engine cut out on a ride. The Purion display had S05 error code and after looking it up found that the magnet on the rear spokes had been moved by the chain locking the bike through the wheel. Just spun the magnet back and tightened it: all is well.

I am closing in on 2000 miles and everything is OK. I do think it may be time for work on the brakes though.

Gazelle and the LBS were helpful on my problem, Bosch less so. I contacted Gazelle in Santa Cruz, they were nice enough to send a new Intuvia display to my LBS based on my description of the problem. They also suggested that the LBS call Bosch to try to get a new display mount. LBS had no luck with Bosch, who insisted on being able to reproduce the problem. This wasn't possible -- this problem occurred 6 times in the 1500 mi I've had the bike with no apparent rhyme or reason, and the LBS test ride did not reproduce it. Mechanic said new Intuvia seeming to fit much better (tighter), was optimistic that this would fix the problem. I've ridden about 50 mi with the new display, no problem as yet. If it does recur, I'll buy and try a new mount.

Back