Are you going to ride in snow?

Our snow here in Calgary will be disappearing quickly, but invariably, we'll get more.
As such, it's not quite time for a Johnny Watts trial - Ice Spikers will stay on for a little longer, at least for March anyways.

View attachment 80271

When I was doing my maintenance earlier this week, I checked on how the studs are doing as I've been on more bare pavement than I really wanted to.
Both front and rear are missing 2 studs each, which I think is reasonable.

How is everybody else making out in that regard?
I lost three studs during the time I logged on the 45Nrth Gravdals (26 x 2) and so far only one on the 60 TPI Wrathchilds (29 x 2.6) which is pretty decent IMO.

Here’s a pic from today’s ride.
Riverbend Ring (Part II) Southern Perimeter_Moment.jpg

I read a FB group for Warsaw cyclist now. It turns out many people have ridden their bikes in the Kampinos National Park in snow. Crashes used to occur as a norm -- people just expect to have a crash. And trust me: none of those people rode winter tyres (because of high cost).

1614584236931.png

There are crashes and then there are crashes. I can't say I've crashed a lot, but I must admit I've seen cyclists tip over while stopped at a traffic control.

My crashes on my MTB have been avoidable - better choice of line, equipment (added spikes too late) etc, but what stands out to me was that the slower crashes invariably hurt more than the higher speed ones.

Not that my trail riding is all that fast - I won't be featured on any Youtube videos like Pinkbikes "Friday Fails". At my age, the old adage of "if you aren't crashing, you aren't trying" no longer applies.

Then there's the one where my brain told my left hand to activate the dropper lever, and my hand decided that lever was the operative word but chose brake instead. That would be the front wheel brake lever...
On downhill singletrack in the trees...thankfully not super tight...
OTB...
OOPS!

2 weeks ago, it was -20C. Friday's forecast is currently calling for +17C.
We don't call that weather crazy here - but we do use a C word.
It's called Calgary weather.
I like the term " Global Wierding ". Seems like whatever we prepare for is replaced by something completely different .

There are crashes and then there are crashes. I can't say I've crashed a lot, but I must admit I've seen cyclists tip over while stopped at a traffic control.

My crashes on my MTB have been avoidable - better choice of line, equipment (added spikes too late) etc, but what stands out to me was that the slower crashes invariably hurt more than the higher speed ones.

Not that my trail riding is all that fast - I won't be featured on any Youtube videos like Pinkbikes "Friday Fails". At my age, the old adage of "if you aren't crashing, you aren't trying" no longer applies.

Then there's the one where my brain told my left hand to activate the dropper lever, and my hand decided that lever was the operative word but chose brake instead. That would be the front wheel brake lever...
On downhill singletrack in the trees...thankfully not super tight...
OTB...
OOPS!
Only serious injury from an accident that I had on my motorcycle was under 5 mph along the side of a road. Got a broken leg and a ticket for that one.

Fell more times today than I would care to mention. All unavoidable through some pretty gnarly snowy singletrack. Chalk it up to a new bike and a very inexperienced rider. Glad I reduced the bar width on my bike. ;)
View attachment 80366
Falling in snow is generally a softer landing - just avoid those upright thingies! ;)

Falling in snow is generally a softer landing - just avoid those upright thingies! ;)
My latest casualty as a result of a 'soft landing' was my Garmin Edge. The undergrowth from one of those 'upright thingies' sheared pieces of the hard plastic mount off the Edge's back cover as during one of those falls, rendering the Garmin's out-front mount on the bars useless. I ended up riding with the Edge in my jacket pocket for the remainder of the time. It still, however, completed it's task of logging stats until the end of the trip.

Finally able to get out riding this week again after heavy snow and brutally cold conditions parked my bike for a few weeks here in Ontario, Canada. Snow is starting to melt away and I was able to get 10 km in yesterday, 28 today… I usually like to ride 30 to 40 km. On the positive side, I had an appointment with my cardiologist this morning (as every 6 months) and he noted I have lost 8 lb since my last appointment (even though I have gained 2 or 3 in recent weeks after stopping riding the bike and, for something to do, learning how to bake bread. That’s going way too well! Biking is good for your health. Bread baking? Not so sure.

Attachments

• F260F28A-D50A-46F0-A543-2ACF92A88C10.jpeg
    F260F28A-D50A-46F0-A543-2ACF92A88C10.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 140
Finally able to get out riding this week again after heavy snow and brutally cold conditions parked my bike for a few weeks here in Ontario, Canada. Snow is starting to melt away and I was able to get 10 km in yesterday, 28 today… I usually like to ride 30 to 40 km. On the positive side, I had an appointment with my cardiologist this morning (as every 6 months) and he noted I have lost 8 lb since my last appointment (even though I have gained 2 or 3 in recent weeks after stopping riding the bike and, for something to do, learning how to bake bread. That’s going way too well! Biking is good for your health. Bread baking? Not so sure.
The homemade bread is much better for you, but portion control can be an issue. And homemade cookies can be a real diet killer. Don't learn how to make those. Too easy.

70 degrees today and I was able to get in a few miles on the local fire roads! Looks quite different than it did just a month ago.

28+ inches on the ground then. Down to just 7 or 8 now.
P1080685a.jpg P1080788a.jpg

Too bad the warm weather won't last long enough to melt the rest. The local trails around here are still snow covered. Oh well, it's still March. Spring will be here soon enough.

70 degrees today and I was able to get in a few miles on the local fire roads! Looks quite different than it did just a month ago.

28+ inches on the ground then. Down to just 7 or 8 now.
View attachment 81355 View attachment 81356

Too bad the warm weather won't last long enough to melt the rest. The local trails around here are still snow covered. Oh well, it's still March. Spring will be here soon enough.
Same here, the roads are clear, the trails still buried.

Back