Are Vado SL Stock Hubs ('Specialized Alloy') Rebadged DT hubs?

rideallday

Region
USA
I recently overhauled the rear hub on my vado SL and discovered it's a 3-pawl hub. Given Specialized's relationship with DT Swiss as a supplier, is it safe to assume this is just a rebadged DT hub that is convertible using the Ratchet LN system discussed here?

the cassette and freehub body were removed quite easily by pulling the entire thing off in one piece. this is how it looked after about 2,000 miles.

image_67208193.JPG
image_67197697.JPG

Last edited:
The kits are about half the cost of a 350 hub so it would be a tough choice to upgrade.

The Creo's have DT Swiss internals per the support page but they only say "Specialized" on the Vado SL support page. I don't have a Vado SL or my original Creo Roval carbon wheels anymore so I can't check but it can't be a coincidence there aren't a lot of road boost hubs other than DT Swiss.

I would say there's a good chance they are Formula hubs. I really good question is why would you want to change to ratchets? Unless you are truly concerned about degrees of engagement when pedaling there is probably nothing to be gained via ratchets over pawls. For my debacle with freehubs, see this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/seeking-xd-freehub-driver-for-creo-alloy-wheel.52803/
For me it's that I find the OEM hub to be excessively noisy and have had comments from people riding next to me about it. I'm currently considering having a custom wheel build done using something quieter. My other two bikes -- a Felt VR5 road bike and an old Specialized Crosstrail hybrid -- are virtually silent in this regard. I realize that e-bikes are often spec'd with extra robust hubs, but given that I generally ride mine at 20-40% assistance and know how to shift smoothly...

Thanks also to @rideallday for starting this thread. I was wondering if I'd need special tools to take the freehub apart but now I know that for the short term I can easily open mine up and re-grease it.

Is there a technique for reassembling it to get the pawls back inside the ring gear?
With pawl hub I reassemble by twisting like freewheeling/backpedaling while pressing parts together and pawls usually slip into the ratchet ring.

If that doesn't work I use a pinky or screwdriver to push gently against pawls until one is in and then turn freewheel backwards.

In the end it's usually not too hard and you don't need special tool.

Grease up the ratchet ring fairly heavily and it will be much quieter.

I would say there's a good chance they are Formula hubs. I really good question is why would you want to change to ratchets? Unless you are truly concerned about degrees of engagement when pedaling there is probably nothing to be gained via ratchets over pawls. For my debacle with freehubs, see this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/seeking-xd-freehub-driver-for-creo-alloy-wheel.52803/
Yes those could certainly be Formula. Formula can be unintuitive to assemble disassemble depending on model. Don't force anything even if it seems necessary -- it's about knowing how, not pushing harder.

With pawl hub I reassemble by twisting like freewheeling/backpedaling while pressing parts together and pawls usually slip into the ratchet ring.

If that doesn't work I use a pinky or screwdriver to push gently against pawls until one is in and then turn freewheel backwards.

In the end it's usually not too hard and you don't need special tool.

Grease up the ratchet ring fairly heavily and it will be much quieter.
Thanks. I figured that that might work. I also saw a YT video where the guy used some dental floss wrapped around the pawls, tightened to get them to drop in, and then pull out the floss. But try the easy way first!

Back