Are There Class 4 E-Bikes With Belt Drives?

Jim1348

My wife and I already have Class 3 Gazelle e-bikes. We avoid dirt as best we can with the Gazelles. Despite that, I am somewhat interested in an additional e-bike for the dirt.
(We already have ATVs, so we know about playing in the dirt.)

With that in mind, what are some Class 4 e-bikes that have belt drive?

Belt drives are used on electric motorcycles from Zero and Cake. Alternatively do away with a belt or chain and go 2wd with Ubco electric motorcycles

Belt drives are used on a lot of ebikes too, even full suspension ones :)

Last edited:
Pretty sure it just means illegal? 🤷‍♂️
We have a few ATV trails here in Minnesota & Wisconsin that have signs allowing other non-ATV vehicles.

I think they would be permitted there.

MN-DNR or WI-DNR could tell me for sure.

Last edited:
Belt drives are used on electric motorcycles from Zero and Cake. Alternatively do away with a belt or chain and go 2wd with Ubco electric motorcycles

That Ubco looks interesting.

I have always thought that 2-wheel drive motorcycles are interesting.

It looks like Rokon still makes 2WD gas burners.

My wife and I already have Class 3 Gazelle e-bikes. We avoid dirt as best we can with the Gazelles. Despite that, I am somewhat interested in an additional e-bike for the dirt.
(We already have ATVs, so we know about playing in the dirt.)

With that in mind, what are some Class 4 e-bikes that have belt drive?
Nobody's been doing belt drive bikes (motorcycles) longer than Harley-Davidson. An MC I own and purchased new in 1990 has a Gates final belt drive. They look just like an bicycle drive belt, the pulleys have flanges though. HD has used the belts since the 80's and they are tough and long lasting, 50 to 100k miles. They do rob power more than a chain, an unimportant fact on a motorcycle. Mostly maintenance free and very clean.

Belt drives aren't well suited for off road riding. Dirt degrades the belt and pulleys, and small stones and pebbles can get lodged in between the belt and pulley, severely damaging both with the possibility of catastrophic damage. A little stone could literally stop you on a dime. I'm a believer, but I wouldn't want one for off road.

"Belt drives aren't well suited for off road riding."

Some would disagree :)
I applaud you for your 10 year experience 🤔

I merely shared my 33 years of experience touring North America, three countries, on a belt drive motorcycle. Many dirt roads and the belts get loud, they squeal and they wear out off road. Far more money than a chain, require a belt tension gauge to properly install and maintain, with alignment being critical for best life of the belt and pulleys. Given modern belts have been used on MC's for nearly 40 years and are only used by a few niche dirt riders/bikes is telling. Harley with their dirt track team, all the in house R&D and millions of belt drive bikes produced, has never put a belt on a dirt track bike. Neither have any major hill climb teams.

Last edited:
I applaud you for your 10 year experience 🤔
I have Zero Experience with bike belts :)

I was just merely pointing out that different people have different experiences and perspectives on that subject, and that the technology has evolved a lot and continues to do so ....

The "Class 4", I believe, comes from the BPSA (Bicycle Product Suppliers Association). This is what Court wrote about it here.

What Are Electric Bike Classes and Why Do They Matter?

Class 4: Moped or Motorcycle
The electric drive system can be activated through a pedaling action or throttle. The top speed is above 28 mph (45 kph) and/or the motor wattage may be greater than 750 watts. In all major geographies this class would be considered a motor vehicle which requires licensing and registration and is limited to certain motorized off road trails or traditional roads. There has been some confusion in America where machines that resemble bicycles (having pedals) that are capable of high speed and power are used inappropriately without licensing or insurance and on infrastructure reserved for bicycles such as paths and mountain bike trails. This behavior is subject to the same legal action as driving a gas powered motorcycle or car and may result in severe legal ramifications.

It is not a legal designation; it's just a way to say none of the above, or illegal, as many have said.

I have Zero Experience with bike belts :)

I was just merely pointing out that different people have different experiences and perspectives on that subject, and that the technology has evolved a lot and continues to do so ....
Not to be argumentative, but that is an issue when discussing something on a forum. I only presented an opinion based on my experience; I stated, "I'm a believer", just not in this use case. Then a third person's experience is presented as a rebuttal; how can we debate that? How can I ask for further clarification? How can this third person debate my opinions and experience? You can google for a contrarian viewpoint for any topic.

👍

Then a third person's experience is presented as a rebuttal;

👍
I think that is may be the part of the problem.
Just because an alternate point of view is presented does not make it a rebuttal. I sure did not mean it to be, and I apologize if it came out that way.
Not everything has to be solved by I am right you are wrong or vice versa. Most things lay in the middle. Different people have different conditions, different needs and perspectives.

We should be able to present these perspectives without immediately entering a fight for who is winning. Nobody has to win :)

I think we have to thank social media and the internet for this tendency to radicalize everything into a black and white, right or wrong situations.
It affects all of us even, if we don't mean to anymore, and I am surely included in that group at times.

Last edited:
If we are speaking electric moped / motorcycle, the reference in that area is the Surron that does have a Belt drive option.

You also have hybrids (ebike / electric motorcycle) like the LMX 64 or 56.
These are dual drive train so you can get high power directly to the rear wheel without affecting the pedaling drivetrain, and come with a belt drive option on the motor drivetrain side

Nicolai had also announced an Eboxx ultra, but it seems to have gone MIA

If we are speaking electric moped / motorcycle, the reference in that area is the Surron that does have a Belt drive option.

You also have hybrids (ebike / electric motorcycle) like the LMX 64 or 56.
These are dual drive train so you can get high power directly to the rear wheel without affecting the pedaling drivetrain, and come with a belt drive option on the motor drivetrain side

Nicolai had also announced an Eboxx ultra, but it seems to have gone MIA
I wonder why the belt upgrade can’t be selected on the site? I also don’t see any photos of one with a belt.

Back