Are the PW-X motors really louder than other vendor's bikes?

Leelorr

Hello,

I thought I had decided on a new Ebike with the Yamaha PW-X motor (Haibike Xduro) until I saw several reviews that commented that they were quite a bit louder than other bikes like the Shimano Step series bikes. They do sound pretty loud in the videos, but I know that the recording devices sometimes make the motor noise sound louder than it actually is. Any owners of PW-X bikes care to comment on how the noise of these motors compare to others they have heard?
I do like the fact that this motor is programmed to have more torque at lower cadences, and to accelerate from a dead stop easily.

Thanks in advance

I've ridden them all. The PW-X is a little more buzzy than the Steps, the Brose is the quietest, and the bosch is close behind.
The wind noise is louder than all of them.
Go ride them...pick yer poison.

Personally I really like the Yamaha as a brand - they're reported as bulletproof, and since I already had one and liked it I got another one. The X buzzes more than the SE/sport, but it has quieted down quite a bit with just a few miles on it. Both are more quiet once they are warmed up - you get a little whirring when they're cold.

The hub pawl is as loud as the motor. ;) But then I'm likely nearly deaf.

Oh yeah, and yes, they are really punchy in the top assist mode - no question there. And they are adjustable. For 2020 Yamaha supports a little higher cadence, so if you like to spin up it will be there for you.

Make sure you have a way to get warranty support on whatever you choose. Takes the worry out of any serious failure. Every brand has the potential for failure.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with. It's all great fun! 👍

Not any longer! If you get a 2020 pwx mk 2 yamaha I'd say it's quieter than a shimano or the 2019 bosch.

I had one of the original 2018 in my giant full e pro and there was a bit of a growl at high torque in low cadence that changed to a much quieter whine around 80-90 . Riding next to a shimano I'd be annoyed by the shimano if I was spinning over 80 but couldn't hear the shimano when I was spinning below 80. To be honest, I sort of liked the character / aural feedback of how hard the motor was working.

Now, with a 2020 motor, I think my tyres make too much noise ( maxis minion dh f/r on gravel , anything over 15 k I can't hear the motor)

ps the mk 2 also has MUCH better high cadence support - it feels completely different between 80-100

Thanks for your input. I live in a small mountain town so finding bikes to test ride is pretty tough.

I've had my Yamaha PW-X 2018 series for approx 1500 mls and I do not find it that noisy. The knobbies on pavement/trail drown out any noise coming from the motor. I agree with Pdoz's statements concerning noises past the spinning 80 mark as well. I have very few complaints regarding overall functionality. Very responsive and always there when you need the extra push in a higher PAS level. PW-X2 sounds like perhaps a better choice. Would be great if you could test both back to back to get the "real feel" of them both. Happy shopping.

I bought a 2020 Haibike Xduro Allmtn 2.0 a couple of weeks ago. The 2020 Yamaha PW-X2 is much quieter than I thought it would be. I almost didn't buy the bike because of all the noise about Yamaha motor noise. I only notice the noise when I am riding silently on the grass and crank hard on the cranks. Otherwise, I never hear the motor over the tire noise.

It was never an issue.
Some riders must have ultra-sonic hearing. This old fart is nearly deaf. 🤣

Comparing the sport to the pro or 'x', the former is MUCH quieter. The x in my Trance has a real buzz to it. Not annoying, you just know it's there when it's working.

The 2020 sync pro motor is quieter than the 2019. I’ve ridden both in the mountains on pavement but honestly, no big deal with either. Giant claims this year‘s motor is 18% quieter...seems true. My older Vall e+ 2018 sport motor is loudest but still not annoying. I agree with @Browneye, Yamaha has a great product! 🚴‍♀️

Back