Are Praxisworks cranks the only option for SL 1.1 motor?

I don't think so. I upgraded from alloy to carbon and we looking at many different crank types, but nothing seemed to match. Surprisingly, the carbon cranks are not that much lighter, but the do give you a narrower Q factor and feel much better.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the mountain sl arms can be used on the creo? Mostly interested in the 165mm length. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the road version and the mountain version.

Looks like I asked too soon. I got the following response from praxis for those interested:
"Yes, you can use the mountain version of the SL 1.1 M30 crank on your Creo; the Q factor is the same, but where they differ is the mountain version is a little more overbuilt for off-road riding, and so they weigh a bit more."

Hobowithin, IMO stick with the road version. I have MTB specific cranks on my 150mm travel enduro bike, which I use to slam over big rocks at 25mph. Any use of the Vado SL that actually required a mountain crank would break the frame, and be insanely unpleasant. The road cranks can easily handle the Vado's upper limit for rough terrain, so why carry the extra weight of the mountain cranks?

But of course it's all marginal - an ounce or two heavy cranks is no biggie if you do choose the MTB version.

For me it's mostly a need for 165 mm crank which they strangely don't make for the carbon road version.
Hobowithin, IMO stick with the road version. I have MTB specific cranks on my 150mm travel enduro bike, which I use to slam over big rocks at 25mph. Any use of the Vado SL that actually required a mountain crank would break the frame, and be insanely unpleasant. The road cranks can easily handle the Vado's upper limit for rough terrain, so why carry the extra weight of the mountain cranks?

But of course it's all marginal - an ounce or two heavy cranks is no biggie if you do choose the MTB version.

I don't think so. I upgraded from alloy to carbon and we looking at many different crank types, but nothing seemed to match. Surprisingly, the carbon cranks are not that much lighter, but the do give you a narrower Q factor and feel much better.

I'm looking for a smaller Q-factor myself but Praxis helpdesk said the alloy and carbon both have a 182mm Q-factor.
No other brands carry the M30 spline...

Here is my swapped crank with carbon fitted and alloy laid next to it. How can these be the same Q factor?

Attachments

• 0G6A7124a.JPG
    0G6A7124a.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 157
Well looking at Praxis website, my alloy arms do not match what they are showing. Mine have the wider MTB swoop and that is why I noticed the different. These are what the bike came with, so had the wrong crank arms fitted from new as these are clearly MTB ones.

Well looking at Praxis website, my alloy arms do not match what they are showing. Mine have the wider MTB swoop and that is why I noticed the different. These are what the bike came with, so had the wrong crank arms fitted from new as these are clearly MTB ones.
I hear you.
My Creo SL expert 2021 came with the alloy wider swoop cranks that really feel wide too.
The website says ALL cranks for the Specialized 1.1 motor have a 182mm q factor.
I emailed Praxis and got the same answer...182mm

I'm going to my LBS and maybe spot one with carbon cranks before I spend €250 🤗
What about changing the bottom bracket would that be a possibility ?

the motor is (effectively) the bottom bracket...
Uff, how little do I know 😉

Praxis could have made a "straighter" crank with smaller Q-factor because there's plenty of chainstay clearance !

I'll adjust my cleats to get a smaller stands width and order the shorter 165mm alloy cranks because weight is not an issue for me with my 67kg (147lbs).

Thanks

Uff, how little do I know 😉

Praxis could have made a "straighter" crank with smaller Q-factor because there's plenty of chainstay clearance !

I'll adjust my cleats to get a smaller stands width and order the shorter 165mm alloy cranks because weight is not an issue for me with my 67kg (147lbs).

Thanks
The alloy swoop out cranks are definitely wider and I noticed the difference immediately as soon as I pedaled the bike. Praxis are assuming you have the same shaped cranks as the carbons, but if you have the swoop, then non swoop alloy ones will bring in the Q factor. Moving the cleats does not buy you much room, so I would look at side profiles on cranks and see if non swoop are about.

Just in case someone is looking for a praxis alternative ( sorry creo, not usefull for you)

They're designed for mtb, so 160 mm , they claim to have a " natural q factor swoop" , although it's listed at 183 mm so even wider than the praxis !

i don't have my old aluminum cranks handy, but i'm pretty sure they looked more similar to the shape of the carbon ones than your old aluminum ones seem to.

more like the way they're pictured on the praxis site, with a more gradual curve out from the interface.

crank.JPG

i don't have my old aluminum cranks handy, but i'm pretty sure they looked more similar to the shape of the carbon ones than your old aluminum ones seem to.

more like the way they're pictured on the praxis site, with a more gradual curve out from the interface.

View attachment 164643
Fully explains why I got a Q factor reduction when I swapped to the carbon one. Never paid much attention to the alloy ones as it was what the bike came with and never assumed they would fit the wrong ones !!! I definitely the MTB ones, surprising at 175mm. You shape and the carbons will be the narrowest Q factor on the cranks. Other than that, it will down to moving cleat over or some pedals do a short spindle if foot clearance will allow.

The alloy swoop out cranks are definitely wider and I noticed the difference immediately as soon as I pedaled the bike. Praxis are assuming you have the same shaped cranks as the carbons, but if you have the swoop, then non swoop alloy ones will bring in the Q factor. Moving the cleats does not buy you much room, so I would look at side profiles on cranks and see if non swoop are about.
This is the alloy 172.5mm on my Creo expert, is this the swoop and will the carbon be narrower ?

IMG_4329.jpeg

This is the alloy 172.5mm on my Creo expert, is this the swoop and will the carbon be narrower ?

View attachment 164662

that looks to me like the "different" kind, and not what my creo came with, and potentially wider than the carbon ones. it's very hard to tell how much given the shape of both cranks, the significant offset at the attachment point, etc. it could also be that the much shorter sizes have a different shape. what size crank is that? not a great pic for the purposes, but these are the aluminum cranks that came on my creo.

IMG_3341 (1).jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

here is my 170mm carbon crank. the photos are obviously not from a good angle for these purposes, but they're what i had handy. also note 159g weight savings per going from big heavy pedals and aluminum crank to speedplay pedals and carbon cranks. that's .7lb, or around 2.5% of the entire weight of the bike!
IMG_3340 (1).jpg

Back