Are Electric Bikes Really Transportation?

George,

In my area, Polaris GEMs are surprisingly popular as Neighborhood Electric Vehicles. I know one guy who has six on his ranch. I even see mothers transporting kids to school.

Mike,

Interesting spreadsheet. It sort of shows how grades work in real life. You could save the battery for the hardest parts, and maybe to have rest periods. It would be more fun with an ebike, and what's the point of saying this is cardio. It's way beyond cardio.:)

People should understand the basics. If they did, they would have laughed off the Storm and its 50 mile range. It's not like you can't ballpark some of this stuff. If I build from now one, I want the right battery.

Mike,

Interesting spreadsheet. It sort of shows how grades work in real life. You could save the battery for the hardest parts, and maybe to have rest periods. It would be more fun with an ebike, and what's the point of saying this is cardio. It's way beyond cardio.:)

People should understand the basics. If they did, they would have laughed off the Storm and its 50 mile range. It's not like you can't ballpark some of this stuff. If I build from now one, I want the right battery.
George,

I think it is a case of the tail-wagging-the-dog, or motor-enslaving-the-battery. The battery is key. Planning gets you around a lot of the battery issues. One of the things I most like about Polaris is each battery cell has its own management system, rather than one BMS for all batteries. The weakest link syndrome. Also, 12 cells, rather than 8 in a 44V set. I draws 6amps for 750W. That design makes sense to me.

I also like the gears optimized for 3 different power levels -- at the tooth level. Polaris brings motorcycle tech to the bicycle. As long as the decisions are governed by the battery, you are doing the best possible.

Tell me, is zero to 25mph in 5 seconds for 750W ordinary performance? I do not know. I suspect they must have optimized that performance level.

Last edited:
I guess I am the opposite of you. I don't care about the numbers or the marketing information. I ride an electric bike because it is fun and know, that if e-bikes survive as a business, they will get better and better. I would encourage everyone who reads this forum to stop the paralysis by analysis, go test ride an ebike, and buy one that feels good to you. For me the key specification and mathematic that matter most is the quality of my local bike shop and their willingness to stand behind the products they sell. In my years as an automobile owner (about 60) I have never measured miles per gallon. I tend to worry about stuff like the health of my children instead.
I gain insight by understanding technology. My most recent learning exercise is about battery chemistry, which I find difficult. I could dismiss the entire subject due to difficulty. I can also endure and grow. I do not believe any type of intelligent decsision can be made without a solid understanding of the fundamentals. If one cannot explain the concept behind a Ragone Chart in terms of your body as a rider, then one does not understand the principles of an electric bike. One also has no idea whether a battery chemistry is well or ill-suited for the rider's purpose and style. The choice is ignorant. I hate feeling ignorant. I am quite surprised how different batteries are.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/cour...ntific-guide-to-critical-thinking-skills.html

I like the Great Courses. They generally show up in libraries, since they are way overpriced. Some of them are on Audible.
Are you familiar with Daniel Kahneman? He wrote "Thinking: Fast and Slow". Kahneman won a Nobel Prize for his work in economic behavior. Kahneman is a professor of mathematical psychology at Princeton Univ. Kahneman invented Prospect Theory, which a kind of Cost-Benefit analysis. I find his approach improves my judgment more than any other approach.

One thing is for damn sure! When DRIVING an eBike on American roads,like the German Autobahn, you better have a motorcycle license. You will get pulled over by cops without a license plate. Grace One.15

Back