Apple Watch, Strava, and Mission Control

Qamera

This might be overlapping with other similar threads but I think my situation is sufficiently different. I am a runner and use the Apple Watch to deliver heart rate data to Strava. How can I integrate this workflow into Mission Control? Would appreciate any info from Apple users. Just got a Turbo Vado SL5EQ and enjoying it.

I use the Garmin VivoActive4, Strava and have a Vado, so I assume it’s similar with the Apple Watch. I have my Strava account connected to the watch, I use mission control only for mapping while my phone is mounted to the handle bars. I select bike as an activity on the watch, it’s linked to Strava: start, ride, stop, upload...then when I open the Garmin app on my phone, it uploads all the data to Strava...
I don’t believe there is a way to route the watch data through the mission control app and the on the Strava.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yes, it seems there is duplication between a) Mission Control app on my iPhone, and b) Strava on my Watch: both deliver data - which is then duplicated, as two different rides - to my Strava app. Strava/Watch includes my heart rate, so I think it makes sense to just detach Strava from Mission Control - as you have done.

I have tried to synchronize Apple Watch to Mission control but MC does not recognize it.
there is currently no MC App for Apple Watch either that I know of.
Mai no connection with Apple Watch similar to Garmin

Yes exactly. Strava's Apple Watch app delivers my heartrate info to the Strava app so that becomes my primary database. Having said that, Apple's implementation ie fairly basic and the heart rate doesn't check frequently, unless I force a manual check. I do this more often while running because it's important for me to keep the heart rate below 160 on long runs. I guess I could get a Garmin but not really interested in adding more tech gear to my kit.

Yes exactly. Strava's Apple Watch app delivers my heartrate info to the Strava app so that becomes my primary database. Having said that, Apple's implementation ie fairly basic and the heart rate doesn't check frequently, unless I force a manual check. I do this more often while running because it's important for me to keep the heart rate below 160 on long runs. I guess I could get a Garmin but not really interested in adding more tech gear to my kit.
Love Apple Watch and live with all the shortcomings. There is always a workaround.
agree with you that no more tech gear is a good thing.

This goes way back to my initial inquiry back from when I 1st got my TurboVado and had questions that nobody but those who participate here were able to assist in contributing answers, solutions or comments. NOTHING from the "mother ship"...which in my opinion is disappointing.
Why 'we' have to fumble for answers or solutions, search out features, functionality and other aspects of the tools provided is far beyond my level of patience.
I find it ridiculous that I 1st have to start my Apple Watch in bike ride mode if I want those stats to be part of any log keeping of sorts.
Then, I either have to start Strava, or Mission Control (possibly not both as if it 'works', you only need to turn on Mission Control, and or optionally, I use Blevo), .....so with so may options, there is no 1-2-3 one stop shop to keep it all together and make it a simple one button push start. If it is please educate me.
Maybe it's nobody's responsibility and it is what it is, but I find it frustrating that things don't play nice with one another, especially if it is for the benefit in the long run for Specialized to collaborate with a "partner" to make the entire experience better for the rider. Thoughts?

I use BLEvo and Strava as well. I have an Apple watch but found the HR connection to BLEvo to be unreliable. I bought a cheap chest HR monitor on Amazon (paid around $40).

When I start a ride I fire up BLEvo and off I go. When I'm done with the ride, I end the ride in BLEvo and select "Upload to Strava". All my ride info including HR is sent to Strava. That's 1 press to start and 2 presses to at the end - one to stop the ride and one to send the data to Strava.

Using Strava as your primary database makes sense as Mission Control really isn't geared (bike pun there) to be a comprehensive dumping ground for data and analysis. Early days yet, and Specialized has a bit of work to do. For me, I was interested in seeing my heart rate in real time, so I went with a Polar OH1 which pops up nicely on iPhone MC. Heart data uploads to Strava along with everything else. Mapping rides also handy in Strava and the elevation data can be entered into MC for Smart Control.

Using Strava as your primary database makes sense as Mission Control really isn't geared (bike pun there) to be a comprehensive dumping ground for data and analysis. Early days yet, and Specialized has a bit of work to do. For me, I was interested in seeing my heart rate in real time, so I went with a Polar OH1 which pops up nicely on iPhone MC. Heart data uploads to Strava along with everything else. Mapping rides also handy in Strava and the elevation data can be entered into MC for Smart Control.
Could you post a screenshot of how your Polar OH1 pops up on MC - and also explain how you set it up to do that? I'm very interested. Thanks. Also does the data post over to Strava?

Hello Qamera,

Turn on the OH1. In MC go to Settings > Devices. The OH1 should be there. Pair it. I renamed it to make it easier to notice.

I find that I need to sometimes reconnect to it before I go out on a ride -- it doesn't always reconnect automatically. Note this is not a re-pairing, just a reconnect. I've also found that it very occasionally drops off. Reconnecting gets it back. You'll know it's gone cause your BPM will be zero or frozen. Data gets reported to Strava when you end the ride.

As I mentioned earlier, I think these are early days for MC. I would imagine there's refinement in the works since the Specialized e-bike contingent is pretty vocal and demanding. With the huge array of accessories out there, making MC work with all of them equally well is daunting I'm sure, even with industry standard interfaces.

Plus the feature set of BLEvo is pretty impressive. The live GPS mapping is very cool. I'm going to be playing with that later today. My fear with BLEvo, though, is the lone developer scenario. This could get beyond him very quickly.

JB

PNG image.png

Does it upload to MC? And to Strava? Also does it deliver the information real time - so that I can watch it on MC or Strava while I am riding?
Same questions: Does it provide HR info online so no chest strap is needed?

P.S. Polar OH1 is easier to buy for me than the Wahoo. Decisions, decisions...

Same questions: Does it provide HR info online so no chest strap is needed?

P.S. Polar OH1 is easier to buy for me than the Wahoo. Decisions, decisions...
right its bluetooth and ANT+ just easier to deal with. its more like a garmin watch as they can brodcast your hr. apple watch is not great at hr as it does not check all that often. though I guess the new one is constant.

Does it upload to MC? And to Strava? Also does it deliver the information real time - so that I can watch it on MC or Strava while I am riding?
it is bluetooth and ANT+ it works directly with strava though I dont use it that way I use it with my Garmin and my bosch Kiox. but it seems pretty flexible to the connections.

I have an Apple Watch and it does not play well with my Garmin 830. I wanted heart rate data and do not want to deal with a chest strap.

i decided to go with Powr Labs heart rate monitor that slides on my forearm. It pairs up instantly with my GarmIn. The 'numbers' of both my Apple Watch and the Powr Labs are consistant with each other and the Powr Labs device is barely noticeable on my forearm.

I Have Bought Polar OH1+ and Tested It with Vado

Nice thing. So far, the only real-time heart monitors have been chest straps. Now, you can wear such a device on your arm, forearm, or temple.
1611901619419.png

The set consists of:
  • The device itself that resembles a small watch or a large button
  • The strap with mounting socket
  • A socket with USB connector for charging
  • An extra clip by which you may attach the heart rate monitor to the strap of swimming goggles.
First, you insert the device into the charging socket, and then the socket's plug into any USB port for charging. An orange LED blinks, and turns green when the device has been charged. Then, you move the device into the strap; You pull "the watch" onto your underarm with the six diodes facing your skin. (The device can be placed onto your arm or forearm; or, on your temple in case of swimming goggles). Longer press on a button activates the device.

As @jbblunck explained before, pairing the Polar OH1+ Heart Rate Monitor with Mission Control is very easy. What might be of interest of @Kam1936, use of that convenient HR monitor with BLEvo is easy as well. There are subtle differences though:
  • With Mission Control -> Let's Ride -> Smart Control, you define Heart Rate Threshold (e.g., 110 bpm) and minimum assistance (for instance, 20%). Mission Control will automatically adjust the amount of current to the Turbo e-bike motor so the defined Heart Rate won't be exceeded.
  • With BLEvo, there are three distinctive levels of assist: Smart HR Eco, Trail, and Turbo (which can be further configured in Expert Mode). It is far better than the Mission Control approach as, for example, you might want to ride fast (or uphill) with strong motor assistance but without exceeding a certain heart rate. BLEvo gives you more options than Mission Control for sure.
I made a short test of both apps (only one of them can be used at a time) and the verdict is: both work well. There is a remark though: If you are a weak or ill or lazy person, the Heart Rate driven riding won't work. The rider has to really apply effort (either in form of mashing or spinning pedals) to raise his/her heart rate. My safe HR figure keeping me in the right workout regime would be 110. My weak legs make my Heart Rate stay at 101 unless I force myself for a little bit more of effort... :)

Last edited:
Back