Anyone have a FREY EX?

Alibaba shows Frey have about 1 to 5 sales a day, but I'd also assume trade sales (rebranded bikes) make up a fair bulk of their orders.

I would guess rebranded sales are by far the bulk of their production. The more I look at bike frames 'I know' are not made by the outfit selling the bikes, the more I see Frey all over them. And this is why it takes so long to get many bikes. It must take a lot of time to turn someone into a skilled aluminum welder/technician. Especially with this virus hampering every aspect of the production process.

Off topic but to me carbon frames are even scarier. I had no idea how intensive carbon frame manufacure is till I watched the video Pushkar put up on one of his forum's threads. Makes me SO leery of carbon frame bikes. I would think there is just no way to repair a cracked carbon frame. And when you see the process you see there are SO many ways to make mistakes and build in inherent weaknesses. So many ways to cut corners as well.

Yeah I think so... There are a lot of copies of the AM1000 frame. The rear triangle is different on the actual Frey bikes, stronger design. I've seen photos of broken rear triangles on the copies.

My worry about Carbon is the way the material fails... Its strong until it isn't anymore, and then its incredibly weak and has probably shattered into a million pieces leaving you with a face full of mud.... At least with Aluminium it fails more gradually, you'll probably bend something rather than outright break it. Saying that the weight savings from Carbon frames are enticing.

Frey openly admits they don't make the frames which are why there is an extension on the wait times at the minute, once the frame arrives at Frey they then build it up with mid to high end parts.

Doesn't surprise me. We can still refer to them as 'Frey' frames though if they are designed by Frey. No?

I'd have a hard time naming any complex machine made today that was not an assemblage of parts made by various companies.

Yeah I think so... There are a lot of copies of the AM1000 frame. The rear triangle is different on the actual Frey bikes, stronger design. I've seen photos of broken rear triangles on the copies.

My worry about Carbon is the way the material fails... Its strong until it isn't anymore, and then its incredibly weak and has probably shattered into a million pieces leaving you with a face full of mud.... At least with Aluminium it fails more gradually, you'll probably bend something rather than outright break it. Saying that the weight savings from Carbon frames are enticing.
EMBN has a video on one of their many you tube presentations of a guy landing short after a jump with his front wheel smacking full into the face of the ramp. Both down tube and top tube sheared like someone took an ax to them. Carbon frame.

Last edited:
Yeah I think its who designed it that really matters, and apparently its made to a Frey design and they have control of the process. I see they've upgraded their AM1000 frames in response to feedback.

So that puts them at an advantage over the "off-the-shelf" frame builders who take what they're given, but it would be better if they could bring this capability "in-house" to speed up production time of the frames.

Mind you, its not just the frames, its the painting. Offering any colour really slows down the process as you'd have to clean out all the equipment between each colour change. If I was Frey, I'd probably limit the choice to about 6-7 colour combinations.

EMTB has a video on one of their many you tube presentations of a guy landing short after a jump with his front wheel smacking full into the face of the ramp. Both down tube and top tube sheared like someone took an ax to them. Carbon frame.

Yeah its videos like that which have me nervous about Carbon frames!

Saying that the weight savings from Carbon frames are enticing.

The weight savings are minor on a bike that heavy to begin with. Most cheap carbon frames are built in two ways, either as light as high quality ones, which are more likely to break, or overbuilt to be strong enough to last. In the first case, the difference between a high quality carbon frame and a good quality aluminum one is usually @ half a pound. Sometimes an overbuilt carbon frame is the same as aluminum. The weight difference isn't worth the money unless someone is paying you to race it.

me + my bike = 140kg so for me the weight of a bike is never an issue especially when i am a fat git

I have ordered Frey Ex elite as only need one battery, I was going to order Am1000 as changing battery to lifepo4 or something else as next year big news on batteries.
But on Ex it maybe a problem due to internal fitting

Random question. I live in California, my frey ex-pro is on the way. I am wondering if a rear-mounted bicycle rack is sufficient to transport the bicycle or should I purchase a dirt bike type hitch rack for my SUV?

Random question. I live in California, my frey ex-pro is on the way. I am wondering if a rear-mounted bicycle rack is sufficient to transport the bicycle or should I purchase a dirt bike type hitch rack for my SUV?
Hitch Rack would be best... can take the weight better.

Are you guys running through chains? what extra parts accessories should I consider?
You might want to wait till you get the bike. So you can be sure what you need. If you have a chain wear gauge you can monitor the wear on the chain as you put the miles on it. When you see the chain wear by say 25% or so you will have plenty of time to order a new chain. Same with cogs. Chain rings generally last longer than chains and cogs. AND it's usually only the smaller cogs that show significant wear. Depending on your riding of course. :)

You might want to wait till you get the bike. So you can be sure what you need. If you have a chain wear gauge you can monitor the wear on the chain as you put the miles on it. When you see the chain wear by say 25% or so you will have plenty of time to order a new chain. Same with cogs. Chain rings generally last longer than chains and cogs. AND it's usually only the smaller cogs that show significant wear. Depending on your riding of course. :)
Thanks for the reply. I just learned that a chain wear monitor exists.

Frey mentioned the bike was shipped. however, when looking up the tracking number it only says that a label has been created. is there a delay to show that it was shipped via fed ex, or does the label created mean the bike has not been shipped?

Frey mentioned the bike was shipped. however, when looking up the tracking number it only says that a label has been created. is there a delay to show that it was shipped via fed ex, or does the label created mean the bike has not been shipped?
With UPS they will tell you when it reaches their depot and then that it is in transit and give you a delivery date. FedEx I don't know. But if you are talking info coming from China then that's a whole other story unless it is here in the states and is going to FedEx or UPS. Which is it?

With UPS they will tell you when it reaches their depot and then that it is in transit and give you a delivery date. FedEx I don't know. But if you are talking info coming from China then that's a whole other story unless it is here in the states and is going to FedEx or UPS. Which is it?
From my discussion with fed ex. Label Created just means that. The package is scanned multiple times when it is in the shipping facility. Frey sat on shipping and created a label without shipping the bike. Taking away the ability for me to request a refund. I would not recommend purchasing anything from frey. AVOID.

From my discussion with fed ex. Label Created just means that. The package is scanned multiple times when it is in the shipping facility. Frey sat on shipping and created a label without shipping the bike. Taking away the ability for me to request a refund. I would not recommend purchasing anything from frey. AVOID.
They all play these games. You will get your bike and it will be great. I know the wait is a drag but things are really really effed up. There are container ships stacked up like san pan fishing boats off the S Cal. coast. They can't ship your bike till they know it can get off-loaded. I know the bike is worth waiting for because I have a Frey Bike. An AM1000. It is a gas. And built really well. It took over 8 months to get here from initial order by Bolton Ebikes. HANG ON ! 👍

I just ordered my new FREY EX...I should get it in about 90 days....I am just looking to connect with other EX owners to share insights and potential upgrades and or issues with the bike....thanks Jeff
I received my Frey Ex last week and and I'm wondering if there is a hub spacer missing on the back hub next to the derailleur. I know the front wheel came with two spacers but i only see one on the back. Would you happen to know?

Back