Anyone had any encounter with Budnitz Bicycles?

Kelpanz

No wires and looks beautiful. They advertise it as the world's lightest ebike. $4K. I wonder if anyone has ever bought one. Are there any more bikes that look as simple like this one?

Very pretty bike, no doubt. Two things to keep in mind: it's a singlespeed and unless you're only riding in very flat areas, that 10-100 mile range that they claim is going to be closer to ten than 100. Also, there are issues with hub motors heating up and bonking the controller. The bike is flat-out beautiful, but imo they sacrificed a whole lot of function for form.

Very pretty bike, no doubt. Two things to keep in mind: it's a singlespeed and unless you're only riding in very flat areas, that 10-100 mile range that they claim is going to be closer to ten than 100...

Back when I spoke to Budnitz around last October, their rep told me my 35 mile commute would likely require some recharging. The bike probably has a niche but a long distance commute isn't it. I love the idea of a minimalist e-bike. Much more bike than e-bike. Maybe a 3 or 8 speed and I'd consider it more. On the plus side, I think they did tell me that the bike could be converted back to a human powered bike by switching out the hub. Which means with a steel or titanium frame it could last a really long time. But as I posted elsewhere, they were to start delivering these at the end of 2016 and per their Facebook page they have delivered some. But its been crickets as far as any reviews, rider reports. Even the company doesn't seem to update their publicity now that they have some bikes out in the wild. Makes me more skeptical.

Whatever happened to the Budnitz Model E? It came and went with no reviews, no fanfare, no user postings on this forum, no Youtube videos.... I just checked in on their website and it looks like they have a new version planned for Fall 2019 (aluminum not titanium) and using the Fazua system which made a lot of noise after last year's Eurobike:

Shimano Alfine 8 IGH with a Gates belt and "The unique design of the Fazua Evation drive system allows for quick removal of the motor and battery from the down tube. A place-holder may be installed in its place allowing the use of the Model E as a standard pedal bicycle. "

Does not appear to have built-in lighting and no options for racks, fenders on their configurator.

https://budnitzbicycles.com/bicycles/view/modele-ebike

Back